This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Excalibur II Perfect Game (E2PG) on the NTSC-JP version of Final Fantasy IX.

#11LayZ33(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 6:23:35 AM
Atomos199 posted...
If you don't care about the 10th Promist Ring or about the stat paths using the Robe of Lords (I don't remember the details on these, but maybe Magical_Moogles will post here and provide more details), then I'd say you're not actually affected by any of the recent developments and don't have anything to worry about (except possibly stat paths, there's been so much going on with those I have no idea anymore).

I might be interested in the whole stat path business but only if the stat changes/improvements are relatively significant. If the stat path changes post-your-mid-2011-guide only amount to like, a 1-3 variance, then to me the gains are not worth the trouble of additional research on the subject (I already have my hands full with the guide as it is itself).

From what I can recall about camdad's playthrough, it was a mix of better/easier strategies but also more reset determination in some areas. I don't think my walkthrough is all that demanding TBH, but even if you think it is, then it still ends with 30 minutes to spare which is quite a lot of time which you can choose to waste here and there to save frustration and reset time. I don't know which one is easier overall, and this is also depends on what your other PG goals are (you already mentioned you don't care about the ring, so maybe you'll be skipping some other things as well?)

I've read every word of your guide (well, except the main walkthrough part) and the goals and suggestions looks pretty good to me. At this point in time, I do not see myself skipping any goal as listed in your guide.

Well, it looks like I'll be going with my original plan: Using your guide as my main tool and using camdad04's videos for visual guidance, while ignoring recent E2PG related developments (beat Ozma for RoL, 10th Promist Ring, Chocobo H&C RoL, etc).

I am now in the mood to at least start the E2PG.

Just for fun, I will report back to this thread how many times it takes for me to do the "impress 100 nobles" section before I am successful. Apparently, this part is very difficult for many people but I never had a problem with it in the past. I should be well equipped for it since in my gaming lifetime, I've done a lot of "twitch gaming". For example, Breath of Fire III's "Super Combo" skill.

Cicatriz_ESP posted...
Well, there's the Gold Chocobo bug, I think it's more predominant in Japanese copies of the game.

I'm interested in any differences. Can you elaborate on this bug?
#12Atomos199Posted 3/20/2012 6:28:04 AM
Magical_Moogles posted...
Perhaps I didn't make it clear but you will still need the Robe of Lords for any combined stat path because of the Pandemonium encounters. Thats the only way that you'll ever go through those forced battles with zero stat loss. Both Quina and Dagger need the Robe of Lords during their forced battles so you need to choose one of them to train before entering Terra. (Dagger is actually probably the better candidate to train because of the whole Shell Dragon issue).

Thank you for the clarification - the RoL is anything but pointless, then! That had me wondering for a sec "why the **** did we spend all that time/energy/testing on this in the first place, then?!?!? *inner rage* ". Hahaha!

It's tempting to just write a very short PDF explaining all the equipment setups, and all the different versions we've discussed. I feel a lot has been lost in the piles of threads.

I feel like a lot has been lost in the piles of threads. Sifting through it all is gonna be quite a "text adventure"...
---
I never gained supreme ulti-complete status. I projected my mind approx 3 years into the future and realized it was going to be a waste of time
~ bastardpoetry
#13LayZ33(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 6:37:16 AM
Two more questions I just thought of:

I have a controller with a Turbo function. Are there any practical uses for it in a E2PG game? At the very least, it can do my job for me during "Repeatedly mash the confirm button" story segments and I can take it easy.

Atomos199 posted...
Use the PAUSE button to your advantage; pausing the game also stops the
timer, so use this when you need a break, or need to remember or think about
what to do next, especially during battles. If something unexpected happens,
just press PAUSE and analyze the situation.

Might be a stupid question but does pausing during the battle also stop the game timer?
#14Cicatriz_ESPPosted 3/20/2012 6:41:24 AM
Turbo controller helps A LOT with dialogue skipping.

Also, Mr Atomos I think you didn't get it... RoL is needed either way.... =/
---
'That which has feasted on the blood of many Grand Dragons, has wielded the Lionheart for long and calls forth the mighty KOTR with joyous abandon'
#15Atomos199Posted 3/20/2012 6:42:10 AM
LayZ33 posted...
I might be interested in the whole stat path business but only if the stat changes/improvements are relatively significant.

IMO stats are an all or nothing kind of thing. Either you max them, or you don't, so even 1 point makes all the difference. Anything less than the max is imperfect/arbitrary if you're going for max ordered or combined. Anything more than the minimum is arbitrary if you're going for base.

I've read every word of your guide (well, except the main walkthrough part) and the goals and suggestions looks pretty good to me. At this point in time, I do not see myself skipping any goal as listed in your guide.

The 10th Promist Ring is just as relevant as the goals you've read, though - the only difference being that I haven't gotten around to actually including it properly. Of course you're free to skip it, but if you're basing your goals on what's "officially recommended/covered in the guide", then you should include it all the same since it most definitely belongs in the guide.

Well, it looks like I'll be going with my original plan: Using your guide as my main tool and using camdad04's videos for visual guidance, while ignoring recent E2PG related developments (beat Ozma for RoL, 10th Promist Ring, Chocobo H&C RoL, etc).

If you're inclined towards combined stats then you'll just be wasting your time if you don't get the RoL. You'll end up with a sub-par stat set, which defeats the purpose of the route and the challenge. If you prefer ordered then you can ignore everything except the Promist Ring, which you should make an informed decision on (I wouldn't simply "ignore" it).

I am now in the mood to at least start the E2PG.

:DDD *excitement*

I'm interested in any differences. Can you elaborate on this bug?

It let's you skip certain sections of the story, but this also means that Garnet gets stuck in her "can't concentrate" state for the rest of the game. The amount of time you'd save from the skipped sections is mostly negated by spending time to get the Gold Chocobo in the first place, which you otherwise don't need to do (except for combined stats).
---
I never gained supreme ulti-complete status. I projected my mind approx 3 years into the future and realized it was going to be a waste of time
~ bastardpoetry
#16Magical_MooglesPosted 3/20/2012 7:20:41 AM(edited)
LayZ33 posted...
Atomos199 posted...
I might be interested in the whole stat path business but only if the stat changes/improvements are relatively significant. If the stat path changes post-your-mid-2011-guide only amount to like, a 1-3 variance, then to me the gains are not worth the trouble of additional research on the subject (I already have my hands full with the guide as it is itself).

I forget the actual total but it's something like 24 natural stats across all the characters (on average about 3 stats each) that you "lose" for choosing an ordered stat path over combined.

Zidane for example is considered a strength-oriented character with ordered stats:
50 Spirit, 78 Strength, 62 Magic, 35 Speed = 225

whereas if you follow a combined stat route you have:
50 Spirit, 77 Strength, 68 Magic, 35 Speed = 230 (-1 Strength, +6 Magic)

The ordered stat route deems the +1 in strength more important than the potential +6 gain in Magic. Ordered stats is a practical approach whereas combined stats deals with maximising your totals.
---
Gwee-hee-hee... You're up the creek without a paddle! And I'm not gonna let you through! ... Does that make me a bad octopus?
#17LayZ33(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 8:10:25 AM
Atomos199 posted...
IMO stats are an all or nothing kind of thing. Either you max them, or you don't, so even 1 point makes all the difference. Anything less than the max is imperfect/arbitrary if you're going for max ordered or combined. Anything more than the minimum is arbitrary if you're going for base.

Sorry, I think I miscommunicated again. I meant that I will only be interested in the post-mid-2011 stat path discoveries/changes if:

1) The gains are significant (when compared with your guide) and
2) It requires relatively low amounts of effort to get the gains. It seems that getting a RoL early is a relatively high effort task. It's a question of "diminishing returns" and "holding on to sanity" thing for me.

I will be following the "Ordered without final equipment" path.

The 10th Promist Ring is just as relevant as the goals you've read, though - the only difference being that I haven't gotten around to actually including it properly. Of course you're free to skip it, but if you're basing your goals on what's "officially recommended/covered in the guide", then you should include it all the same since it most definitely belongs in the guide.

Hmm okay, I'll consider it.

Magical_Moogles posted...
Zidane for example is considered a strength-oriented character with ordered stats:
50 Spirit, 78 Strength, 62 Magic, 35 Speed = 225

whereas if you follow a combined stat route you have:
50 Spirit, 77 Strength, 68 Magic, 35 Speed = 230 (-1 Strength, +6 Magic)

The ordered stat route deems the +1 in strength more important than the potential +6 gain in Magic. Ordered stats is a practical approach whereas combined stats deals with maximising your totals.

As much as the second one looks better, I like my RPG characters to have their own personalities instead of being replaceable carbon copy demi-gods (one aspect I didn't like about FFVII: every character is the same and interchangeable, they only differ by their limit breaks and to a lesser degree, their weapons). Nobody can be perfect in everything (applies to the real world as well) so I like them to work on and perfect their own strengths instead of their weaknesses.
#18JukainPosted 3/20/2012 11:43:32 AM
So has anything changed for us base statters? Because I never considered any of the 'max' stats approaches to be affable. What's this about the 10th Promist Ring too?
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#19Atomos199Posted 3/20/2012 12:06:10 PM
Jukain posted...
So has anything changed for us base statters? Because I never considered any of the 'max' stats approaches to be affable. What's this about the 10th Promist Ring too?

No changes for base statters except for the ring.

As for the ring, it was always assumed that you could only get 9, but it's actually possible to get 10 by buying the full auction house set and *only afterwards* picking up the single field icon copy. The point at which you can do this is the very narrow window between getting the Blue Narciss and entering the Desert Palace. It sounds obvious today but no one realized this for about 6 years, until last summer. *shrug*

It's kind of like finding out that you could get 5 Moonstone instead of 4. (just an example!)
---
~ bastardpoetry
#20LayZ33(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2012 11:14:35 PM
Important question:

Should I name her Garnet (ガーネット), Dagger (ダガー) or Sarah (セーラ)?

It's been a few years since I played FFIX but If I remember correctly, her name is Dagger the entire game, even though she has no reason to use that name anymore (she called herself Dagger to avoid detection early in the game).

I'll probably go with Sarah (セーラ).

Flicking through the Ultimania guidebook, I was reminded of the full colour maps for every area. That should prove to be extremely useful indeed.

My tools so far:

1) Atomos199 E2PG walkthrough (printed out)
2) Final Fantasy IX Ultimania Guidebook
3) camdad04's video walkthrough: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE0414167DC073340
4) Sony PlayStation 2 (with FMV-skipping and high-speed disc reading feature)
5) PS1 controller with turbo function
6) My state-of-mind currently "in the zone"

I think I'm pretty prepared. I will start it in 24-48 hours.