This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ranking the characters from worst to best

#21KarifeanPosted 9/16/2013 6:01:33 PM
In Endgame:

1. Zidane. Highest Speed plus fixed 9999 damage. Simple as that.
2. Freya. Similar to Zidane - her high Speed puts her above the rest.
3. Quina. Another fixed 9999 damage and also has a couple useful versatile spells, but they're typically not necessary.
4. Vivi. Doomsday is not only a powerful attack, but also a full heal to the entire party with the right setup. Definitely worth the trouble to set it up.
4 (tied). Eiko. Phoenix Chance ftw. Even without it, Eiko still has the best Trance of them all, great WMagic spells and a powerful Holy spell. And Phoenix is pretty useful as a summon as well.
6. Dagger. Another White Mage. Odin is also pretty nice for farming and Long Summons + Auto-Regen is a full heal to the party.
7. Amarant. He can put the entire party in Auto-Life, enough said. Well, he also has Magic Counter.
8. Steiner. He also has an ability that is in practice fixed 9999 damage, but it doesn't work as well when mini'd. Since you have 3 other more reliable fixed damage dealers with better speed/other useful abilities, there's really no reason to use Steiner.
#22ertfertPosted 9/16/2013 6:57:17 PM
ugh, i hate reading some of these comments because their reasons are so bad sometimes

Really, objectively the only character that deserves to be ahead of the rest is Quina should be 1 and the rest all have their own strengths and weaknesses
The only real minus to Quina is that he doesnt have good multiple attack
#23VeghEstherPosted 9/16/2013 7:50:04 PM
I never had Thievery do more then 3000 end of game and had Frog drop do less then that so my best and only good 9999 damage is via Shock Dragons Crest and the 13 Wing Edges I still had left to throw (10 left after I beat Ozma).
#24Dragonclaw_ZEROPosted 9/16/2013 11:22:07 PM
ertfert posted...
ugh, i hate reading some of these comments because their reasons are so bad sometimes

Really, objectively the only character that deserves to be ahead of the rest is Quina should be 1 and the rest all have their own strengths and weaknesses
The only real minus to Quina is that he doesnt have good multiple attack

He actually does.

Equip a Wind+ or Earth+ damage booster, and Quina can do over 3000 or 5000 damage as soon as he learns Twister or Earthquake. I think it's possibly as early as Disc 2.

In Endgame, I could get him to do 9999 consistently with both Twister AND Earthquake.

He is honestly, completely op. However, it took some work to figure it out, since it's not OBVIOUS that those two spells were in the same league as Vivi's Level 3 Elemental Spells(Higher than the Aga family actually but weaker then Vivi's best).

Wind and Earth boosters are also reasonably easy to come by. I "think" you can get one by Disc 2, but I haven't played in awhile. I'm sure it's no later than Disc 3 though.
---
Repeat Infinitum.
If you don't get the above post, just assume I'm being sarcastic.
#25VeghEstherPosted 9/17/2013 9:05:40 AM
Both of those are disc 3 only Adamantioses can only be fought on disc 3 after Quina rejoins and for Twister Red Dragon Mt Galug are the first ones to eat also only fightable on disc 3.
#26Vir27Posted 9/17/2013 2:35:14 PM
You've made several worthwhile observations in here, Vegh.
#27ertfertPosted 9/17/2013 4:14:45 PM
Dragonclaw_ZERO posted...
Equip a Wind+ or Earth+ damage booster, and Quina can do over 3000 or 5000 damage as soon as he learns Twister or Earthquake. I think it's possibly as early as Disc 2.

In Endgame, I could get him to do 9999 consistently with both Twister AND Earthquake.

I was very skeptical of this so I tested this myself
at 99 with max stats (79 magic) and no equipment that boosted damage
Earth Shake did about 5000-5500 damage (against enemies that had no weakness or strength against it of course)
Twister did between 550 and 9500 damage and averaged at about 5000

With Element boosting equipment

With Twist Headband, Bone Wrist, Gaia Gear AND Germinas Boots equipped (bringing her Magic down to 75), Earth Shake STILL didnt hit for max damage, it hit in the 7000-9000 range

with just the Bracer equipped (something you would actually use at level 99) Twister's range was the same, but it seemed to average at about 6000 range, which is pretty good, but not consistent
With the Bracer, Feather Hat (garbage helm) and Black Belt equipped, she averaged in the 7000 range (I was still getting hits for less than 1000 though)

so if you want to hit for max with Quina against multiple targets, you just have to hope that she gets lucky with Twister
#28unwashed_massesPosted 9/17/2013 4:51:51 PM
That actually was a surprisingly helpful observation from Vegh. o_O

Earth Shake and Twister should do 1.5*damage against enemies weak to Wind/Earth. But, there are no enemies weak to earth, which is the only powerful spell of Quina's that does consistent damage. Oh well.

Quina is simply a powerful support character. S/he can deal 9999 to one enemy consistently if s/he wants to. Isn't that good enough? Every character in FF9 is capable of being ridiculously powerful. We're really just comparing Gods to each other and talking about which one is slightly more effective at killing an enemy a second earlier.
#29cyan1001Posted 9/17/2013 7:24:30 PM
Freya
Amarant
Eiko
Zidane
Garnet
Vivi
Steiner
Quina
#30ertfertPosted 9/17/2013 8:51:21 PM
Dragonclaw_ZERO posted...

He is honestly, completely op. However, it took some work to figure it out, since it's not OBVIOUS that those two spells were in the same league as Vivi's Level 3 Elemental Spells(Higher than the Aga family actually but weaker then Vivi's best).

thinking further, this part also bothered me, this is kind of irrelevant because the -aga spells are garbage against multi targets
Earth Shake even averages about as well as Meteor does, in spite of the fact that Meteor ignores Magic Defense
His only decent spells (when ignoring elemental weaknesses) at 99 are Flare, which is pointless to compare with Earth Shake because Quina has Frog Drop for single targets, and Doomsday, which is much more powerful but like its been said, you have to build your party around it