This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ranking the characters from worst to best

#31RioleusPosted 9/18/2013 11:27:47 AM
j800r posted...
I'm actually just about to start a replay of this game, but as I've played it many times over the years since it was new I'm vet enough to make my own decision here. Like someone else said it all depends on how you play the game. I play the game very simply and probably rely on black magic far more than others while using unique abilities a little less so mine would probably go like this:

1. Zidane - For his stealing and the fact you're stuck with him anyway so may as well find use in him. He also has the most powerful weapon in the game. I'm not counting the Excalibur II as most normal people will never be able to get it and for me it doesn't exist.

2. Dagger/Eiko - Always a toss-up. Dagger has the more powerful summons (and yes she DOES have the best summons). Anyone who doesn't believe so just doesn't know how they work. You need to collect more gems to power up each summon. With 99 garnets Bahamut will pretty much be dealing max damage every time. Arc is a let-down considering he's SUPPOSED to be the best summon in the game but in reality his damage is fixed as there's no way to gather 99 pumices plus it's shadow elemental. Might as well just use ViVi's Doomsday.
On the other hand Eiko is the strongest white mage and white magic will ALWAYS be useful. She also has access to Holy which is basically Doomsday reversed and is the only one to get spells like Full Life, Haste and the aforementioned holy. Her summons suck compared to Dagger. However, if you get 100 Phoenix Pinions the chance of an auto revival is highly likely. However, as far as I recall, Phoenix doesn't revive with full life like in VII so it isn't quite as useful plus if you take certain measures you can avoid complete wipes anyway.

Ark's power is raised through Lapis Lazuli if I remember correctly.
---
I'm a man too ya know! I go peepee standing up!
#32Palaguin(Topic Creator)Posted 9/18/2013 11:07:49 PM
cyan1001 posted...
Freya
Amarant
Eiko
Zidane
Garnet
Vivi
Steiner
Quina

Was this from best to worst or worst to best?
---
Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence, Personified.
#33peedeejayPosted 9/19/2013 9:24:41 AM
Rioleus posted...
j800r posted...
I'm actually just about to start a replay of this game, but as I've played it many times over the years since it was new I'm vet enough to make my own decision here. Like someone else said it all depends on how you play the game. I play the game very simply and probably rely on black magic far more than others while using unique abilities a little less so mine would probably go like this:

1. Zidane - For his stealing and the fact you're stuck with him anyway so may as well find use in him. He also has the most powerful weapon in the game. I'm not counting the Excalibur II as most normal people will never be able to get it and for me it doesn't exist.

2. Dagger/Eiko - Always a toss-up. Dagger has the more powerful summons (and yes she DOES have the best summons). Anyone who doesn't believe so just doesn't know how they work. You need to collect more gems to power up each summon. With 99 garnets Bahamut will pretty much be dealing max damage every time. Arc is a let-down considering he's SUPPOSED to be the best summon in the game but in reality his damage is fixed as there's no way to gather 99 pumices plus it's shadow elemental. Might as well just use ViVi's Doomsday.
On the other hand Eiko is the strongest white mage and white magic will ALWAYS be useful. She also has access to Holy which is basically Doomsday reversed and is the only one to get spells like Full Life, Haste and the aforementioned holy. Her summons suck compared to Dagger. However, if you get 100 Phoenix Pinions the chance of an auto revival is highly likely. However, as far as I recall, Phoenix doesn't revive with full life like in VII so it isn't quite as useful plus if you take certain measures you can avoid complete wipes anyway.

Ark's power is raised through Lapis Lazuli if I remember correctly.

You are correct. I would hope that j800r would actually know how the summons work if he's going to claim others don't know how they work.
#34EuroEPosted 9/19/2013 1:34:57 PM
It's hard to rank the characters. There are so many different types of runs. Regular runs, excal2 runs, level 1 runs, plus characters

REGULAR RUN (IMO)

8. Quina (There's just nothing really redeeming about her in a regular run. She's way too situational, doesn't do consistent physical damage, and her spells are kind of meh, and her trance is useless against bosses)

7. Dagger (Her white magic is sub par compared to Eiko's, and her only good summons are Atmos and Bahaumut. She uses too much MP, and basically doesn't work until she cuts her hair. IMO the worst trance in the game)

6. Amarant (I'll probably get called a scrub for this, but I just don't see the value in his abilities. Freya and Steiner do more damage on their own and have better abilities. His trance is somewhat useless)

5. Eiko (Low health, but great white magic spells. Has the ability to cast full life, and holy. Her summons are somewhat useless. Has a fantastic trance)

4. Vivi (Low health, but great damage for most of the game. Elemental damage choice is nice, Bio is great when you get it, and flare is also nice. Has a fantastic trance, which is really good no matter what point of the game you're at)

3. Steiner (High health, high armor, high physical damage (highest??), can combo with vivi to double up elemental damage if need be, has climhazard and shock (which are mp heavy, but still very good), and has a simple yet very effective trance which is nice no matter where you are in the game)

2. Freya (High health, high armor, fairly high physical damage, the ability to avoid damage by using jump even though she sacrifices a turn, reis wind which casts regen on everybody is very helpful, and dragons crest can easily give you 9999 damage for 16mp, although her trance is mediocore)

1. Zidane (Above average in all areas. Does great damage physically, soul blade is somewhat of a life saver in certain boss fight situations, thievery can do 9999 for little mp, but it takes a long time to level it up. His trance is so good that once you hit a certain level, the lowest levels will still do max damage. Grand lethal isn't even needed. Can also steal better gear)
---
PSN- Kevontay
#35Legendary_MusasPosted 9/21/2013 4:45:26 PM
Zidane, Amarant, Eiko and Quina is easily the best party.

I don't play for the optimal party though but strange enough I use 3 out of four of these for story preference anyway. I normally switch Quina for Freya.
---
A__A
(o'_.'o)
#36Dragonclaw_ZEROPosted 9/22/2013 2:30:40 PM
Well, I was just comparing Earthquake and Twister to Vivi's Doomsday, Meteor, and Flare actually.

I didn't mention Frog Drop in that sentence at all, actually. It was strictly Twister/Earthquake vs Vivi's Best.

But yeah, Vivi's slightly UP if you want to powergame. Doomsday is still beast and it's not THAT hard to set up a decent party to take advantage of it. Egotist Armlet's aren't bad, and Pumice Pieces are already among the best accessories. Ninja Gears are great too, so I had no trouble having all 8 party members absorb or at least resist Doomsday.

Apparently, it's not so easy to get Quina to hit 9999 with Twister/Earthquake. It still does crazy damage anyway though. I could of sworn you coulda gotten one of them before Disc 3, but aw well.
---
Repeat Infinitum.
If you don't get the above post, just assume I'm being sarcastic.
#37ertfertPosted 9/22/2013 6:12:00 PM
Dragonclaw_ZERO posted...
I didn't mention Frog Drop in that sentence at all, actually. It was strictly Twister/Earthquake vs Vivi's Best.

you were commenting that Vivi's "Level 3 Elemental" spells were "in the same league" as Twister and Earth Shake
the -aga spells, Water and Bio do awful damage to multiple (like 2000-4000 dmg), Meteor has the same damage calculation as Twister, but Meteor has a better damage base, and Doomsday is a special case
so "in the same league" didnt really make sense in that context except for Meteor and Twister

I could only assume that you were talking about Vivi's single target attacks, which is irrelevant because Quina would use Frog Drop in that case
#38Dragonclaw_ZEROPosted 9/23/2013 5:07:34 AM
ertfert posted...
Dragonclaw_ZERO posted...

you were commenting that Vivi's "Level 3 Elemental" spells were "in the same league" as Twister and Earth Shake
the -aga spells, Water and Bio do awful damage to multiple (like 2000-4000 dmg), Meteor has the same damage calculation as Twister, but Meteor has a better damage base, and Doomsday is a special case
so "in the same league" didnt really make sense in that context except for Meteor and Twister

I could only assume that you were talking about Vivi's single target attacks, which is irrelevant because Quina would use Frog Drop in that case

I also said they were actually better then the Aga Spells if you recall.
---
Repeat Infinitum.
If you don't get the above post, just assume I'm being sarcastic.
#39KnavePosted 9/28/2013 8:48:24 PM
IMO, in a hypothetical no-guides 1st playthrough regular run, the strongest party is Zidane, Steiner, Vivi, and Eiko.
---
I never saw a brute I hated so; He must be wicked to deserve such pain.
#40KrentarisPosted 10/2/2013 9:01:52 AM
Strictly in my opinion, not meant to be an objective list, also done from memory so may be inaccurate.

1) ZIDANE
Of course this is a given, his being the protagonist, however he's also an amazing character in my opinion. The most consistent and readily available physical damage dealer, with a high speed stat to boot. MP Attack works well. The only character in the game who can steal, and you will be doing a lot of it. Thievery is cheap and powerful as long as you've been stealing - though a potential downside is I tend to spend more time stealing than actually attacking throughout the game.

2) EIKO
I love Eiko. No, stay your pitchforks, peasants, I don't mean it like that. But seriously, as a character in battle she's invaluable. Her stats are inferior to Dagger's, however she has a more extensive spell list and access to Full-Life and Holy. Dbl Wht > Eidolon, all day every day. I actually also prefer her summons. While Dagger's summons are more about pure damage dealing, Eiko's have more effects. Phoenix is great for revival and auto-revive, and Carbuncle is great for whatever you want it to do. As soon as I get Carbuncle, I often abuse it because I also normally have Vivi in my party. This make for the happy fun times.

3) VIVI
Ah, Vivi. Final Fantasy games tend to have mages go in one of two directions - invaluable or useless. In this one, in my opinion, he's invaluable - until endgame at least. Equipping an elemental booster + spamming Blizzara in the early to mid game is one of my favourite pastimes. Later on, Flare is good for consistent damage despite the high MP cost. However, I also like to pair him up with Eiko due to Carbuncle. Reflect a spell off the whole party and it'll do like 4x the damage. It's practically a guaranteed 9999 from the moment you get it, the reflect = double damage ability isn't even necessary. As he has no fixed damage option though, he does become inefficient late game, although his Trance will always be useful.

4) STEINER
I'm not a big fan of this guy's personality but he's consistently the most powerful character throughout the bulk of the game for me. MP Attack, or Darkside + dark boosting equipment, deals heinous amounts of damage. Then you get Beatrix's big four Swd Arts and your can pretty much deal as much damage as you are comfortable expending MP. Much like Vivi, he tends to become obsolete near the end of the game if you're patient enough to power up the other characters.

5) DAGGER
Well... I like her, I really do. She's the traditional summoner of the game, but I'll admit I haven't actually used her in a while. (I seem to recall discovering that one of the griffin creatures on the final screen of Fossil Roo drops a Peridot every time, and I only seem to encounter them, so I could technically grind out 99 Peridots, equip a Thunder booster and spam Ramuh for the rest of the game. I might try that) She just, I dunno, seems to lack options to me. High MP consumption and her summons aren't that great since they all basically do the same thing - damage.

6) FREYA
Freya's another great damage dealer, one of the two knight characters, and has great utility with her versatile abilities and Jumping. However, I haven't actually used her all that much. I'd imagine once powering up Dragon's Crest she's awesome, and Holy Lance is powerful, but... I can't really comment on her much.

7) AMARANT
Much like Freya, I haven't used this guy enough to comment on him. It seems like he could be a powerhouse with the right setup, but I'm not a fan of his character.

8) QUINA
Running out of characters. Blue Magic is versatile but costly and situational, overall not that useful. Physical damage is far too inconsistent. Overall, not a favourite, despite high utility at certain points of the game. Has Frog Drop as an option for late game, though.
---
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."