This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ranking the characters from worst to best

#41ertfertPosted 10/2/2013 9:14:49 AM
Krentaris posted...
Blue Magic is versatile but costly and situational, overall not that useful.

Really? only Mighty Guard costs 64 MP, the rest costs less than 20. A number of her spells are very useful, in most situations.

Also, Flare does decent damage and easily maxes out at 9999, but at much later levels (like 60+ roughly i believe) than any of the other characters except maybe Zidane or Quina depending on whether you powered up Thievery or Frog Drop, respectively.
#42gesthal84Posted 10/3/2013 12:22:42 PM
8. Steiner: Too one dimensional, and his power is genuinely overkill later in the game.
7. Vivi: Can be used as a healer with very particular setups, but mostly one-dimensional and slightly underpowered late game, fantastic mid-game character though.
6. Garnet: Nice dual purpose character, but I dunno, just comes across as stale, still.. well-balanced.
5. Eiko: Great support character, not an especially punishing character, however. Damn good trance.
3. Freya: Fairly limited in support capacity, but an outstanding damage dealer and has a pretty good selection of equipment for a fighter. Doesn't really become useful till D3.
3. Zidane: Great damage dealer and capable of top end speed stat, just not terribly versatile. Then again, I may be poorly utilizing him, I rarely select his "Skill" command sans Thievery. Trance becomes overkill later on.
2. Amarant: Mediocre stating stats is minor drawback, but can hit hard and has a great skill set, good support options, and, IMO, the best trance.
1. Quina: FROG DROP. Plus the plethora of support options make Quina the most versatile character of the bunch. I think people resist admitting Quina is the best due to his/her comical tone.

As it turns out, my party usually runs with the top four, although sometimes I swap Freya for Vivi, just cuz' I like him and he becomes notably stronger with Amarant's curse ability.
---
"Rampant ninja-related crimes these days... White House is not the exception."
#43Palaguin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/4/2013 3:41:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses. They were of great use in my latest article, discussing Final Fantasy IX. http://www.superfriendsuniverse.com/gaming-curmudguin-7-the-forgotten-final-fantasy-9/
---
Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence, Personified.
#44KrentarisPosted 10/8/2013 7:26:59 AM
ertfert posted...
Krentaris posted...
Blue Magic is versatile but costly and situational, overall not that useful.

Really? only Mighty Guard costs 64 MP, the rest costs less than 20. A number of her spells are very useful, in most situations.

Also, Flare does decent damage and easily maxes out at 9999, but at much later levels (like 60+ roughly i believe) than any of the other characters except maybe Zidane or Quina depending on whether you powered up Thievery or Frog Drop, respectively.
I guess you're right. My impressions were largely based on how relatively expensive his/her spells were compared to other characters at the beginning. I suppose my main point of contention with Quina is that because I play rather casually I just don't find Quina very rewarding to play with. For example:

Limit Globe - As much as it's called 'Glove' ingame, that really makes no sense so I prefer to call it Globe :p Either way, yes, this is tremendously useful in most situations and only becomes moreso after acquiring Auto-Life, but... it somehow feels a little too good, too cheap for me to use routinely. I'm by no means condemning those who do, and appreciate it's likely mandatory for challenge runs, but I can pass on it.

Angel's Snack - I can't really think of much use for this outside Ozma? It's brilliant there, of course, but very situational.

Vanish - A fun status effect, but I can't think of any situations off the top of my head where it would be overly useful. Most enemies have magic attacks, plus it only affects one target at once unlike Carbuncle.

Lv. 5 Death - Very situational, but of course incredible in the right circumstances (Grand Dragon farming, Desert Palace). Only possible a good chunk into the game though.

Twister - Far too random damage for my liking, but is undeniably powerful (anyone on the wrong side of one can attest to that). Learned very late however.

Earth Shake - Quina's only consistent offense outside of Frog Drop. Sadly, it also comes very late.

Auto-Life - Sure, you gain early access to this status but outside of Limit Globe abuse, is it really that useful?

Mighty Guard - Okay, you got me here. This is never not useful. Only downside is the high MP cost, but that's kind of a nonissue since only powerful enemies warrant it.

White Wind - Generally speaking, this'll always be weaker than Garnet or Eiko's heals in my experience. It does its job well enough I suppose.

Night - I probably need to try using this at some point. It seems almost too good with an Insomniac party?

Frog Drop takes ages to grind (though is obviously amazing if you take the time to do so) and fork damage is way too blatantly random. Many of his/her spells have a high miss chance, and spells like Aqua Breath do fixed percentage damage. I've not used Lv. 3 Def-less often but I imagine it could be useful if you've memorized enemy levels.

Thinking about it, Quina would probably play a better support role in place of Dagger or Eiko especially lategame with Auto-Regen, however not only does s/he take too long to become useful (Limit Globe aside) but I'm also not fond of his/her character compared to the two summoners and can't see me running a party without them in it unless I was trying to be optimal or playing a challenge run.

As for Vivi, though, that's true, but around the time I get Flare, I usually use Carbuncle or Auto-Reflect and spam multitarget ara/aga spells, unless I want to be hit by single-target spells for some reason or don't want to waste stones on Reflect-Null. Then at endgame I switch to Doomsday with a shadow absorb setup.
---
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."
#45ertfertPosted 10/8/2013 9:41:11 AM
Krentaris posted...
Angel's Snack - I can't really think of much use for this outside Ozma? It's brilliant there, of course, but very situational.

Earth Shake - Quina's only consistent offense outside of Frog Drop. Sadly, it also comes very late.

Auto-Life - Sure, you gain early access to this status but outside of Limit Globe abuse, is it really that useful?

White Wind - Generally speaking, this'll always be weaker than Garnet or Eiko's heals in my experience. It does its job well enough I suppose.

Night - I probably need to try using this at some point. It seems almost too good with an Insomniac party?

for starters, Quina doesnt take long to become useful, aside from powering up Frog Drop
its actually quite easy to Eat enemies, so it takes a fairly short amount of time to get this done

Angel's Snake is probably the best support ability in the game.
Its great against Ozma, Necron and Hades. Its also good against anything thats quick and hits you with status ailments, none of the white mage spells compare to it

Earth Shake, although not incredibly powerful, is actually better than any of Vivi's multi spells save for Meteor (random damage) and Doomsday, so its a reasonably good multi spell

Auto-Life is a great spell, especially for using on other low HP characters and for bosses that hit single target really hard (Beatrix, Quale, Tantarian etc.)

White Wind youll probably only use during Cleyra, but its good for when you have it

Night is pretty much guaranteed victory against most tough normal enemies if you just use Insomniac
#46Roy-FokkerPosted 10/10/2013 10:06:52 AM
Any FF can be easily beaten and completed 100% with any party. Some people like to min/max and that's fine. I tend to go with characters that I like over usefulness, with only a few exceptions.

1 - Vivi, he is honest, sincere and major driving force of the story. I love his design in that they took a normally generic black mage and brought life and character to it.

2 - Zidane, comedic, easy going, a nice change for the main protagonist. I didn't care for the whole "monkey" design originally but I have come to love it. The way the story grows and develops between Garnet and Zidane is probably one of the better love stories of all the series in my opinion.

3 - Garnet, as stated above the development of her story with Zidane. She has strong personal character, and I rather liked her.

4 - Freya, Decent character, I like the dragoon abilities and not a bad storyline for her.

5 - Eiko, no real love or dislike for her in anyway. Maybe she should be number 4 not Freya....

6 - Amarant, just not a fan. Decent ablities but I don't really care for him.

7 - Steiner, first thing, I hate his design. I can not stand the way he looks. He is an annoying ass for most of the game and only become bearable towards the end.

8 - Quina, WTF. Only one character in all of FF is more despised by me than Quina and that is Gau. It has nothing to do with disliking blue magic either because I find it very useful. It looks bad, it acts bad and is really out of place in the whole scheme of things. Only time I use it is when grinding out levels on grand dragons for insta kills.
#47KrentarisPosted 10/22/2013 9:07:31 AM
Well, I've played the game through again and I really did Quina an injustice. S/he really is overall the best and most versatile character, although operates better in a support role until you power up Frog Drop. Fork damage may be random but the weapon power usually eclipses everything else to such a degree that s/he'll have comparable damage output to Zidane. In fact, Amarant is great too - what's not to love about Chakra? He only becomes weak in terms of late-game 9999 options.

I'm admittedly usually quite biased towards magic in RPGs where it's not totally useless, but this time through, Vivi really wasn't as good as I remembered. Blizzara and Bio eventually become kind of meh, and outside of full party reflect, or Reflectx2 which is a waste of stones - Flare is IMO inferior to Holy, Kaiser Knuckles or No Mercy, a decently powered summon (likely Ramuh), Thievery and potentially Dragon's Crest... all of which you have access to at that point. Freya disappoints me because she's always the weakest for me, outside of Dragon's Crest. However, Reis' Wind is cool, and White Draw is potentially *amazingly* convenient against high level enemies, especially with MP guzzlers in the party. I know, I know, if you steal properly you'll be drowning in Ethers anyway, but I'm an item hoarder and don't use them unless I have to. Being self-sustaining in MP just feels neat. I did it in FFV with Summoners using Lancer for eg.

In fact if I had to rate characters on overall utility and battle effectiveness through the game I'd probably do it like so:

1) Zidane
2) Quina
3) Steiner
4) Freya
5) Amarant
6) Eiko
7) Dagger
8) Vivi

Sorry lil' guy, but you're not quite as good as I remember you being. However, because I also choose my parties based on the storyline dynamics too, I'm gonna have to retain my original rankings. It feels wrong to field a team without at least one of Eiko or Dagger in there, and without Vivi too. Steiner is such a beast throughout the whole time you use him that it seems too obvious, it's just a shame that he is a pure damage dealer. Next time through I might use Eiko, Freya and Amarant though. I can see that sorta making sense. I'll have to keep my levels down so they don't suffer too much when joining.
---
"Perfectionism becomes desirable when it stimulates the healthy pursuit of excellence."
#48XenosheartPosted 10/22/2013 3:56:36 PM
Dagger: Never really got to like her much. The fact that she can be replaced by Eiko in battle makes her practically non existant for me.

Quina: Never used him/her, pretty uninteresting character.

Amarant: Cool but joins too late and lacks the great development the other characters have.

Eiko: Good to have in party, nice development but annoying at times.

Freya: Very good to have in the biggest part of the game. She has good dialogue and a good background story.

Steiner: Although he tries to appear as annoying, I find him great. I like how he tries to find his place in the whole story, as well as his strugle to figure out what he wants to do in his life. Too bad he never stands out to find his freedom. I would prefer if he left in the end of the game or make family or something. Also, he is great in battle.

Zidane: I love this character. He is in my opinion the best developed character I have ever encountered. His attitude, his love for women, his sense of justice as well as his flaws that often become obvious but in a great way make him perfect. He's also a great fighter.

Vivi: I believe Vivi is a character you get to love instantly. His innosence is magical as well as his paine and his strugle to understand how the world and humans work. Also, Black Magic.

Honnorable mention:

Beatrix: Great, strong personality, I would love more screen time for her as well as a continuation of her relationship with Steiner. Also, she's crazy-strong.
---
Final Fantasy IX / Kingdom Hearts
|GR|
#49HawookPosted 10/22/2013 7:28:36 PM
Quina is an awesome character, s/he just happens to shine brighter the tougher the battle.

Probably the best support character in the game, even though white wind doesn't heal high.

In a scenario where you're facing hard fights and not just running through an area where any character setup is going to end the battle in two turns max (low level game?) a back row Quina set with status resists to ailments that prevent action (confuse/stop/venom/temp etc) frees up the rest of the party to use their stones on other abilities since she'll be there to angel snack, can use earth shake when s/he's not supporting, can run a night setup, and lets you use Dagger or Eiko more offensively.
#50wpotPosted 11/3/2013 12:32:49 PM
To summarize, Quina = Gau in terms of gameplay. They have awesome skills, but they're irritating to accumulate and even then they're inconsistently useful. Even their Attack skills are inconsistent. Most casual players won't bother to screw around with them. In a challenge, there's no-one better...but the regular game isn't hard enough for them to be worth the effort. Even their characters are rather irritating to drag around.
---
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.