This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was the final boss truly a "Giant Space Flea from Nowhere"? (spoilers obviously)

#1slk_23Posted 9/14/2013 6:18:43 PM
Did Necron really appear out of nowhere and with no explanation? - Results (73 votes)
Yes, the origins of Necron are still entirely mysterious to me
32.88% (24 votes)
I know of the supposed origin of Necron, but it doesn't seem logical to me
31.51% (23 votes)
I know of the supposed origin of Necron, and it makes complete sense to me
35.62% (26 votes)
This poll is now closed.
There are some people on here who claim to know exactly where Necron came from. I personally don't buy any of it, and I still don't get it, even though I don't think I really failed to pay attention to the story. The supposed experts of this game can be found here, so I was wondering whether maybe I could get an explanation as to just why it's not an example of this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GiantSpaceFleaFromNowhere
---
http://i.imgur.com/5ldCA.gif http://www.moviesandtvhistoryguy.com/Scarlett_Johansson.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/nAJVH.png
#2Flare_Dragon123Posted 9/14/2013 7:00:53 PM
Two Things:

1. Your link, go back and read paragraph 4. "Most games with random encounters... Gameplay/Story Segregation."

2. Necron exists as a consequence of Kuja's destruction of the crystal. In the natural course of the story, this should be the end, however, for no explainable reason, other than to present a gameplay representation of Existence v. Non-Existence, a theme that colors every character's personal struggle in the game, most notably Kuja's, Vivi's, and Zidane's, Necron shows up and the party is allowed to fight for Existence. Again, this is gameplay as a metaphor, this is a capstone on the narrative, and a somewhat poignant look at the future of Final Fantasy.

So, no, Necron is not a Giant Space Flea from Nowhere.
---
Movie Reviews, Gaming News, and other random tidbits:
http://expositoryconundrum.wordpress.com/
#3MysterPixelPosted 9/14/2013 7:14:16 PM
You have to jump through far too many obscure logical hoops for Necron to have any relevance to the story - it was badly executed.

Can you make Necron makes sense? Yes.
Should you have to go out of your way to make Necron make sense? No.

Some people like examining and piecing together things like this, but as far as I'm concerned it was a disappointing failure in storytelling on their part.
#4unwashed_massesPosted 9/14/2013 7:27:35 PM
There are some aspects of Necron that are fairly obvious. He shows up to bring the world to nothingness when the crystal is shattered. He embodies the opposing philosophy of the protagonist and his allies - that because the living fear death, they suffer, and they desire death.

Voice: "I exist for one purpose... To return everything back to the zero world, where there is no life and no crystal to give life. In a world of nothing, fear does not exist. This is the world that all life desires."

The battle is more of a philosophical battle of wills. It ultimately shows whether or not humanity's will to live exceeds its suffering and desire for death. The battle with Kuja simply could not provide that symbolic gesture because Kuja is flawed and was acting out of fear and selfishness. If you had beaten Kuja and he had not touched the crystal, it would have been extremely anti-climatic. You needed to battle death itself just to prove that humanity ultimately wants to live despite all the suffering life brings.

But for all purposes, Necron does 'come out of nowhere'. Perhaps it would have been more satisfying if a more familiar enemy of known origin encapsulated death and that philosophy I described, but this is what we got.
#5Bronze_StuffPosted 9/14/2013 9:54:56 PM
Honestly, from a storytelling perspective, he's pretty awful. He doesn't come completely out of nowhere, but he's still awful. From a thematic perspective, he makes sense, from a "this story is over..." He's ... Terrible IMO.
---
Jimbo.
#6mega1343Posted 9/14/2013 11:10:47 PM
The crystals represent life and Neceon represents death. What's so hard to understand ?

When the crystals got destroyed Necron appeared to destroy the world.

Necron lives in the Iifa tree/Memoria which is where all dead souls go.

It's as simple as that.

The entire game everyone in the party is trying to figure out their meanings of life. Fighting Necron is symbolism for their lives having a purpose after all.

Yeah his name isn't brought up at all until the end, but the clues are all there scattered throughout the game.
---
SamG528
#7Bronze_StuffPosted 9/14/2013 11:44:41 PM
mega1343 posted...
The crystals represent life and Neceon represents death. What's so hard to understand ?

When the crystals got destroyed Necron appeared to destroy the world.

Necron lives in the Iifa tree/Memoria which is where all dead souls go.

It's as simple as that.

The entire game everyone in the party is trying to figure out their meanings of life. Fighting Necron is symbolism for their lives having a purpose after all.

Yeah his name isn't brought up at all until the end, but the clues are all there scattered throughout the game.

It's not hard to understand on subsequent playthroughs. The problem is that it goes way... Way... Too far into the abstract field. There's literally no point to reaching this level of metaphysical philosophy for your characters to literally beat down. Had the game ended with you beating down Kuja, and then Zidane (or even more sensibly Vivi) has a talk with him and Kuja realizes the error of his ways, everything would have been just fine. Some might say it's a bit anti-climatic, others, like myself, would find it refreshing that you can actually TALK DOWN A FINAL BOSS after showing them the error of their ways.

It does kinda come out of no where in the sense that everything in the plot is pointing towards Kuja being the finale. It just seems really weak to fight Necron in the end. Nothing feels more resolved for fighting Necron in the end. So you proved that you wanted to live. Big deal. I think the characters have already SHOWN that from overcoming all of their hardships they faced over the course of the adventure. Otherwise, they wouldn't be there. The idea of fighting Necron for a thematic purpose is honestly... Redundant from a narrative perspective. From gameplay? Sure. As there's nothing that Kuja can DO to be stronger than "Trance Kuja" at this point. Could you make him truly trance? I guess, but it'd be pretty stupid... Probably dumber than Necron.

The "clues" you get are no more apparent than Garnet's original name being "Sarah." Sure, one could infer that "Garnet" and "Dagger" aren't her real name from birth, and yes, you can find her name is "Sarah," but it's hidden really well. The difference? Knowing Garnet's real name has NO bearing on the plot, while the gems for Necron are a bit more specific to look for and even worse, does have a bearing on the plot. It's what makes the final boss seem less nonsensical. A final boss, which even if you do realize why he's there, doesn't make much sense from a storytelling perspective.

If someone asked me to summarize this game, you can bet that I wouldn't mention Necron. As he doesn't add anything to the narrative that you haven't already done and said. Hell, Necron basically comes out and summarizes the entire theme (with some added final boss fluff of course) for you if you didn't get it.

SPOILERS FOR FINAL FANTASY VIII.

It's sort of how like there IS foreshadowing for Ultemecia (even if it's not referred to her by name until Disc 3), but that doesn't make her reveal any less bad and poorly told.

Long story short. No, Necron doesn't truly come out of nowhere, but that doesn't make his inclusion any less lame.
---
Jimbo.
#8peedeejayPosted 9/15/2013 12:01:59 AM
I wish there was a vote down option so I could vote down posters who make terrible options in their polls.
#9SmowyPosted 9/15/2013 3:42:40 AM
Necron is an hero.
---
I think Necron is a pretty cool guy, he show up out of nowhere and doesn't afraid of anything.
#10AhribarPosted 9/15/2013 5:03:17 AM
Necron is a personification of Death -- the clue is right there in the name. (In the original Japanese, I believe he is called "Eternal Darkness", making it even more transparent.) It isn't a "character", and as such has no reason to be introduced earlier.

I feel the story would be anticlimactic without Necron, as there has been so much talk about Kuja's plan to destroy the Crystal -- if the PCs defeated Kuja and that was it, we would be left wondering what the hell that was all about. Thanks to Necron being unleashed, we know. And, because unleashing it was Kuja's plan, you are still battling Kuja indirectly, so that climactic aspect isn't lost.