This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FFIX STILL being discussed!

#1FinalFantasiserPosted 10/6/2013 8:59:19 PM
Hey everyone, I've been lurking around this board for quite some time now. I discovered it completely by accident while looking for something related to Chrono Trigger a while back (can't remember what it was) and was amazed at the fact that all of these amazing old games are still getting discussed as if they were brand new (not to mention sidequests still being discovered).

Sooo, yeah I'm playing through FFIX again and I'm up to the part where **SPOILER**
you get Ramuh at the Pinnacle Rocks, just after escaping Alexandria.
***END SPOILERS***

And that inspired me to come back here for a read (sometimes reading people's theories and discussions is just as good as playing the game for me) and just couldn't resist posting any more. It's so nostalgic to be able to discuss it, thankyou internet.

So anyway, enough with my introduction that nobody really gives a fearch about, I shall now attempt to start my first discussion on this board and that is, quite simply 'Which Final Fantasy world would you most like to inhabit?'

I don't mean your favorite, I don't mean 'which do you think is the coolest'. I mean, while remembering that not everyone in the world can be an awesome swordsman, a SeeD cadet, a Dragoon or Black Mage or whatever. Taking into account really having to actually make a living and survive/live happily as a fairly normal citizen, which one would you choose and why? What would you do in that world if you, as you are now, were transported there when you woke up tomorrow morning? What would be your immediate action? Goals and aspirations in the world? Why aren't you doing these things now?

For me, at present, I think it would have to be the world of IX (Hense I decided to post this here, is there even like an all-encompassing Final Fantasy board?). Because I'm pretty environmentally focused and generally dislike the current state of government, the typical work focused modern lifestyle and all of that, I really think one of the less developed (both socially and industrially) worlds would be the one for me and, while I could see myself living the rest of my life very happily on the Isle of Besaid (FFX), nodding in agreement to all of the Yevonites whining about technology, well, FFIX has no Sin and I think, while sun and sand is awesome, I'd overall prefer the colder climate of the Mist Continent.

With less development, smaller populations etc. I would probably see much less of a need to be as reclusive and isolated as I am at present because I'd have no qualms with consumerism and environmental damage being caused by society (because there'd be a whole lot less of both) and I think travel/adventuring would be made much more fulfilling because of the difficulty in doing so. What I mean by that is that I think the sense of achievement in walking or riding a Chocobo somewhere would be much more than simply driving or flying somewhere, the world is a bigger place without these advancements. Admittedly though, once the novelty of airship rides wore off, the flight from Alexandria to Lindblum would probably be just as boring. Don't think flying through the Falcon Gate would ever get old though.

I'm a pretty physical person and study martial arts which I think would have to transition to swordsmanship in a world filled with monsters. I think I'd be pretty obsessed with training if I knew I could shoot laser beams from the end of my sword with enough practice. It'd also be very important skill if you lived anywhere but the biggest of cities and, even assuming I could only learn the barest of skills (because not everyone gets to be Beatrix) I think it'd still be a focus just for defense against monsters and other people (because nobody can pull a gun and shoot you, so combat skills could get you out of a LOT of situations).

And apparently I've babbled on so much that I've reached the word limit (sigh of relief from the readers =P) I did have more points to make but I think it's fine if I leave it there and see what others have to say first.
#2random_singerPosted 10/6/2013 10:04:45 PM
Hmm. I havn't played 8 or 10 onwards, so can't really create an opinion on those worlds.

I think I would prefer to live (as a commoner) in FF4. Spoilers ahead:

1. It's one of the few FF games where not so many places around the world are destroyed. From memory, only Damcyan Castle (the castle of Edwards) is destroyed completely along with its populace; Eblan's populace is forced to evacuate but remains alive. Compare this with some other FF games, where multiple cities are wiped out (I'm looking at you FF 2, 6, 9.) As a commoner, I would stand a better chance of living in the FF 4 universe! True, there are many conflicts over the crystals, these conflicts are much smaller in scale than city genocide.

2. There is no 'the world is slowly dying/out of balance' factor. The crystals in FF4 don't seem to be tied to any element- they merely let out a giant, which is promptly dealt with by the worlds armies/heroes. No long term suffering for commoners.

3. Powers are not limited to heroes and villians. White Mages and Black Mages are relatively common, monks live in Fabul, ninjas live in Eblan. Imagine the usefulness of being a White Mage in everyday life! Someone is annoying you? Use silence! Someone is threatening you? Use hold and slow, and run for the hills! Someone close to you is hurt? Cure!

4. There is at least one 'dancing girl' in every village. Pretty girls are always a plus :D
---
Yes, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them.
#3FinalFantasiser(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 12:08:04 AM
Hah! There's a bunch of good points in there! You made FF4 sound very cool, I've struggled with the inspiration to play all but FFVI before the PS1 generation. I guess they're just a little TOO oldskool for me.

That's a really good point about **SPOILERS**like half of the cities in FFIX being destroyed. During the first big gap between the times I played the game, the main memory I had of it is that basically every place you go to gets blown up right as you leave (it's not quite true, but prominent enough to let my memory see it that way).**END SPOILERS**

So as a regular citizen with a life and a job and family and stuff, you'd have probably either been killed yourself, had one or all of your family killed, your home destroyed or just general destruction of your city. As mentioned above, I would be unlikely to live in a larger city like Alexandria or Lindblum but it'd still be pretty disastrous.

As regarding your second point, yeah, the drawn out 'out of balance' issues are pretty prominent in most FF games. I chose Gaia over Spira in part due to the lack of Sin who **SPOILERS for FFX** goes around wiping out villages and whatnot for the whole game and generally makes life horrible for the typical Spiran **END SPOILERS*
But in retrospect, the people of Gaia get a raw deal, too, rebuilding the cities lost there could take generations. And then there's the monster spawning mist.

Though it could be argued that Sin is kinda a constant for Spira where as the story of FFIX is sort of a one off occurrence. I more meant the world as a whole, as it is before the stirrings of the plot start but it's still a good point.

Your third point is good, too. I'm not really sure where gameplay and story segregation really draws the line. I mean, if you can't just use a Life spell to wake up a dead person outside of battle, can a random Alexandrian Knight use Blizzara? I kinda bent my own rule in my first post by talking about adventuring and learning sword abilities which, while possible, isn't really in the spirit of my original question which really meant 'being an average joe in the world' but this is mainly because of the fact that that'd be possible within the world, and I'd definitely try to learn it. I mean, dabbling in magic and knowing a few sword tricks doesn't make you Vivi or Steiner.

As for point number four...I'm pretty sure there will always be pretty girls, in every world. It's a dimensional constant.
#4random_singerPosted 10/7/2013 12:43:03 AM
FinalFantasiser posted...
Hah! There's a bunch of good points in there! You made FF4 sound very cool, I've struggled with the inspiration to play all but FFVI before the PS1 generation. I guess they're just a little TOO oldskool for me.

Do try FF 5. Best gameplay in the series for me. Its story is nothing special, but the gameplay is awesome. Actually, FF4 is one of the games I didn't really like in the series (although the DS version improves it substantially) though, it would be the world I live in as a commoner!

Your third point is good, too. I'm not really sure where gameplay and story segregation really draws the line. I mean, if you can't just use a Life spell to wake up a dead person outside of battle, can a random Alexandrian Knight use Blizzara?

I'd steer away from Life spells, phoenix downs and the like; I've always subscribed to the notion that they don't actually rescue you from death, but from a unconscious state (ie not able to battle any longer). Otherwise yes, clear case of gameplay and story segregation there. On the other hand, it is shown in game that Alexandrian Knights use Blizzara regularly; and there is no real reason for it not to make sense in that world.

Hah, the reason I mention classes in FF4 is that a significant proportion of 'Average Joes' do have some form of power. NPC black mages and dancing girls that you have annoyed can turn you into frogs and/or pigs, and do this not in battle but out of battle! Others may poison you. It stands to reason that the multiple White Mages, monks and ninjas portrayed in the game also have similar abilities.

As for point number four...I'm pretty sure there will always be pretty girls, in every world. It's a dimensional constant

Ah, but pretty dancing girls, in every town? I did not see pretty dancing girls in FF7 D: All the regular people there were far too depressed to dance. (Apart from the Honeybee inn, but THAT IS NOT THE SAME)
---
Yes, the twelve legendary weapons. They are weapons. They are legendary. There are even twelve of them.
#5CalmlanderPosted 10/7/2013 5:29:37 AM
Play FF5, it's really fun.
And of course FF9 is still discused, is one of the best in the series!
---
100 goals with Shaami in 1 League!!! http://postimg.org/image/byfjhefa1/
#6ertfertPosted 10/7/2013 9:02:09 AM
FFIX Gaia, mainly because its the only one where common folk have access to a wide variety of airships with very interesting designs

most of the other ones, youre party will end up controlling some airship of legend, or you happen to know the one guy in the world thats built one (Cid in II, III, IV and VII, Setzer in VI)

I know XII had airships, but lets face it, they were space ships you could have easily put into a star wars film and not have noticed
I like the rustic look of a wooden ship with propellers and the idea that i could stand out on deck with the wind in my hair
#7PalaguinPosted 10/7/2013 10:34:38 AM
Spira wouldn't be that bad; just stay as far away from the coast as possible. After all, you are worrying about a Whale with legs. The Mi'ihen Oldroad should be pretty safe, but the Moonflow crosing site is the place to be. Lots of commerce, and away from the dangerous coasts. Guadosalam would be pretty safe as well. Plus, plenty of hot women with little on.

Gaia of IX would be my 2nd choice. I sorta like the medieval steampunk feel, and there's a good chance of working toilets (highly important).
---
Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence, Personified.
#8BWO_ArbiterPosted 10/7/2013 4:27:41 PM
Final Fantasy IX's world for me.

In a game like FFVII your character is basically only strong due to Materia (As far as Canon) and being a Sephiroth clone. In FFIX, it seems like anybody could attain a good degree of strength, you just level up and learn abilities from equipment, you don't need some special intervention to become strong.

Also the card game. Unlike FFVIII I wouldn't have to worry about random BULL**** screwing me over. In FFIX I would be one of the world's top card players. I could use that to make some spare gil, or even win special accessories.

Everybody is a "Class", you aren't a bunch of generic clones running around (FFVII, FFVIII, FFX at the end, FFXII). Everybody has a role, and that means that understanding the mechanics of the team are vital, and that is something I'm naturally inclined towards.

Ultimately I would wind up dying as I would spend most of my time flying around in my mist powered airship, and then when the mist stopped I would crash to my death.
---
+1 to MS for taking 2 huge steps in the right direction. Now if only they fixed the rest of the problems :-(
#9FinalFantasiser(Topic Creator)Posted 10/7/2013 7:20:28 PM
Huh, somehow I wasnít expecting FFIXís Gaia to be so popular. Guess I shouldnít be surprised though, given the board I posted this in. And youíre darn right, Calmlander, it is totes one of the best.

I had to look up which one FFV even was, I often get confused between the classic ones but yeah, that was probably the one that interested me the most after FFVI. What makes the actual gameplay that good? The job system? I remember having a bit of fun with that when I dabbled around in the game.

@ random_singer: Yeah but the Alexandrian Knights are shown to use Blizzara IN battle, not out. And if we say Ďeverything except the healing spells countí then are we to assume that main characters are inexplicably strong enough to survive meteors crashing into their faces and whatnot? But any random stabbing with a dagger out of battle will kill them for plot reasons? And how is it that I can summon Bahamut in a tiny corridor, have him blow the hell outta everything and the corridor is still fine when the battle ends? I choose (and always have, even when I was playing my first ever RPG) that gameplay and story segregation is almost total and only meant for the fun of it, itíd be pretty boring if Zidane could do nothing but slash with his dagger or whatever.

@ Ertfert: Yah mon, good point! Thatís another point for FFIX and I totally agree with you on the rustic, steampunky airships being way cooler than the spaceshippy ones, theyíre just very charming and romantic. Though driving Garden around the world WOULD be pretty neat, still Iíd chose the wooden ones. I just wonder if itíd get old if you lived there and they were kinda commonplace, I mean, how boring are plane-flights these days?

@ Palaguin: Thatís actually a very good point, makes you wonder why anyone ever built on the beach. But I guess itís the same reason people live in volatile areas on our own planet, itís home.

I agree with you but just from a personal perspective, Iíd wanna live on Besaid if I lived anyway becsause of itís isolation, small community, peaceful atmosphere etc and that IS in danger of Sin.

I did actually have an image in my head of chilling out at the Moonflow crossing, similar to FFIX, I think travelling the world of FFX and visiting the places you mentioned (and more) would be fascinating. As opposed to, say FFVIII where you could train, drive virtually anywhere and there seems to be less natural beauty in that world, too. Mainly Ďcause itís all about the sci-fi but still.

@ BWO_Arbiter: I disagree that Tetra Master wonít screw you over with random buru shideru but you raise an interesting point that Iíve always liked about Final Fantasy worlds and thatís that there are really fun ways to make a living, like your day job can be awesome. Itís perfectly legit to be a card player as you said or an adventurer or an airship pilot or a mercenary. I know they have real-life equivalents but joining Garden or whatever seems to be a very standard career choice. Treasure Hunters, ninjas and dragons slayers are the order of the day, not typists and administration officers.

I also really like your point of being strong on your own merits within the world of FFIX. Itís pretty much in line with my own enthusiasm on that topic. I really like the idea that, if I do enough pushups, I can throw castles at people.

Thatís also an interesting point regarding how you think you would die. So then, how does everything think theyíd go out in their chosen lifestyle within an FF world? If one of the plot related disasters didnít get me. I assume Iíd either live to die of old age, a contented old man or a monster in Evil Forest or whatever ludicrous place Iím adventuring too would have me for lunch. Iíd adventure Ďtill I dropped.
#10terran3999999Posted 10/7/2013 9:36:41 PM
None of them. I'm not sure if some of you are speaking with your head in the clouds but if we do get transported to a FF world, or any fictional world, for that matter you might end up as random useless NPC that's just prone to be killed or whatnot.

If I had to pick one, say if I was forced transport to one I would say either VII or VIII due to them being the most modern. It would definitely have to be within Midgard or one of the SEED Gardens, its kinda ironic too since I hate VIII so much but I probably wouldn't mind being a SEED member. Soldier was a little too evil for me. Again, I'm not sure if some of you are speaking out of your ass, no pun intended, but I myself can't imagine trying to live without a modern working toilet and toilet paper. Seriously too.
There's also the concern with illnesses and diseases and I might rather be able to protect myself with a modern type firearm over nothing.

In a game like FFVII your character is basically only strong due to Materia (As far as Canon) and being a Sephiroth clone. In FFIX, it seems like anybody could attain a good degree of strength, you just level up and learn abilities from equipment, you don't need some special intervention to become strong.
This makes no sense.

Are you imply that all those random townsfolks really could be badass adventurers if they just gathered up the courage and tried? Hell no. Just look at the size of the main party compare to the population of an entire world(or even more than one), only a small amount ends up being the uber epic badass. This applies to all video game worlds.

Spira is also just as bad as the rest, especially when you find out that the Yevon religion was all just a freaken sham and they held a lot of influence. Even without the flying evil monster whale the people of Spira will always have to contend with the existence of Fiends.

/partypooper
---
Katawa Shoujo: The visual novel that defies and kicks logic to the curb.
Official contender to fight for Lilly as waifu.