This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

E2PG question

#11doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 1:49:46 PM
coincidentally, I'm at the same save, opposite boat: evil forest/spring at 44:36, two minutes over the target time. I tend to pick up around 8 seconds per segment and I hit a big bump with the aforementioned sword fight. Does that make us PG buddies? :D
#12monkeyslingerPosted 11/13/2013 5:39:12 PM
seyyjJ posted...
Didn't want make a new topic for this;

This might be a dumb question, but if I keep few seconds under the target times all the time, am I safe to go for the C or CS stat path? I'm really drawn towards C especially. The quide says the target times are for A/B/LV1 paths so that's why I'm asking, just want to make sure.

Currently sitting at Evil Forest/Spring with time of 42:38.

You certainly are! The target times are designed so that you can still follow them (adding time for detours when necessary) and be able to complete the CS path, which is the most time consuming out of all the paths in the guide.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
http://ffixexiipgfinalequip.blogspot.com/
#13doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2013 11:11:56 PM
Planning ahead, I'm looking at future segments and I'm thinking I want Freya to win the festival, only because the almost-3 minute lead will catch me up to the target times and it just feels good giving the victory to Freya, I dunno. My question is whether I'll have to sell some extra stuff later on to make up for the 5000 gil I won't be winning. Looking at my next shopping excursion almost a disk away, it doesn't look like I'll be hurting for it but I want to make absolutely sure.
#14seyyjJPosted 11/14/2013 3:28:30 AM
doubtkiller25 posted...
coincidentally, I'm at the same save, opposite boat: evil forest/spring at 44:36, two minutes over the target time. I tend to pick up around 8 seconds per segment and I hit a big bump with the aforementioned sword fight. Does that make us PG buddies? :D

Oh gosh, that sword fight, one of the hardest parts of the game for me too. I couldn't get 100/100 even with practise and I kept getting that 99/100. When I tried to fasten things up, I'd mess up buttons. I just couldn't take it so I transferred the save to PC and used an emulator to lower the fps and then do it on the first try, then save and transfer the save back to PS2. It's cheating but I can live with it, I rather keep resetting because of random encounters and that I've been doing alot already;

The Ice Cavern. The things I read about the cavern regarding random encounters sure weren't exaggerated.. On the second try my Plant Brain segment went perfect and I thought it was too easy. I guess the game is making up for that now? What's even worse is that I got one perfect run of the cavern and got to save. It turns out the run wasn't that perfect after all, after saving and before picking up the last chest, I had more than minute to spare and then I realized that I forgot to pick up the third chest in the screen with Mage Masher. Of course that attempt could have failed while picking up that missed chest but it sure was frustrating. Maybe that'll teach me to avoid playing while being tired.

monkeyslinger posted...
seyyjJ posted...
Didn't want make a new topic for this;

This might be a dumb question, but if I keep few seconds under the target times all the time, am I safe to go for the C or CS stat path? I'm really drawn towards C especially. The quide says the target times are for A/B/LV1 paths so that's why I'm asking, just want to make sure.

Currently sitting at Evil Forest/Spring with time of 42:38.

You certainly are! The target times are designed so that you can still follow them (adding time for detours when necessary) and be able to complete the CS path, which is the most time consuming out of all the paths in the guide.

Okay, thanks. So as long as I keep under the times I can have my peace of mind.
---
psn: lennylardo/gudmundsdottir
#15doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 8:10:18 AM
seyyjJ posted...

Oh gosh, that sword fight, one of the hardest parts of the game for me too. I couldn't get 100/100 even with practise and I kept getting that 99/100. When I tried to fasten things up, I'd mess up buttons. I just couldn't take it so I transferred the save to PC and used an emulator to lower the fps and then do it on the first try, then save and transfer the save back to PS2. It's cheating but I can live with it, I rather keep resetting because of random encounters and that I've been doing alot already;

The Ice Cavern. The things I read about the cavern regarding random encounters sure weren't exaggerated.. On the second try my Plant Brain segment went perfect and I thought it was too easy. I guess the game is making up for that now? What's even worse is that I got one perfect run of the cavern and got to save. It turns out the run wasn't that perfect after all, after saving and before picking up the last chest, I had more than minute to spare and then I realized that I forgot to pick up the third chest in the screen with Mage Masher. Of course that attempt could have failed while picking up that missed chest but it sure was frustrating. Maybe that'll teach me to avoid playing while being tired.

Indeed. My problem with the sword minigame was simply getting all the commands in correctly in the first place. It took me almost 4 hours to get it right! I got so frustrated that I just stopped speedrunning it for a minute, sat down and did the minigame several times in a row till I got my coordination up to snuff. The very first time I got every command in correctly? 100/100 of course -_-

But that's okay, didn't take me but another 20 minutes to get it again, speedrunning that time. By some miracle I didn't see a single "99/100" that day, although there were certainly a lot of 60 impressed nobles. Thank goodness that one's behind me :P

And oh no, I'm about to start the cave today. You sure are making me look forward to that one all the more hahaha.
#16seyyjJPosted 11/14/2013 4:07:03 PM
Phew, I think I'm done with Ice Cavern now.

Took me nearly 5 hours altogether to get through the place with no encounters. Kinda bugs me because when I entered Ice Cavern I was under the guides target time but now I have nearly a minute of extra. I'm not exactly sure where I lost that all that but it seems I got around 20 extra seconds during the icy treasure hunt and also the boss battle felt like an eternity when I had practically empty trance bar to begin with. After few tries of BW1 & Sealion, with no wasted turns the best time I got back to save point was 1:02:59.

Anyway, since I'm still under NBs target time, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna do the whole thing again just because of ~45 extra seconds.

doubtkiller25 posted...
And oh no, I'm about to start the cave today. You sure are making me look forward to that one all the more hahaha.

How's it going, did you do it already? If not, good luck!
---
#17doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 6:55:16 PM
seyyjJ posted...

How's it going, did you do it already? If not, good luck!

The youtube playthroughs make it look so easy ;_;

It's like you get a few screens in without an encounter, thinking "Heck yeah, I got this", then BAM! Right after you get that Mage Masher or Elixir you hear the dreaded "Pshhhhhhhhhwwweeeeeeeeee" and you know you have to try AGAIN. I've been at it only a little while too, but I know I'll get it tonight. Just ugh. At least there are multiple saves throughout the segment. Can't take too long once I get to Mois, right?
#18doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 10:39:29 PM
I feel like I'm playing that stupid rigged rock-paper-scissors game in Gold Saucer. Not too hard to get past the first room. The potion/ether room is stacked against me 3/4 of the time (that potion can die in hell). The Mage Masher room is just a miracle if I can get past there. I'm waiting for the mist to clear and I exit and re-enter after just about every treasure, it's all down to luck. Been going at it for a few hours too. Goodness, gracious this challenge!
#19doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/14/2013 11:38:50 PM
yessssssssssss, I got it! Well, kinda. I got to Mois 30 seconds over my own target time, which puts me a whole 2 and a half minutes over the guide's target, but I'm playing path A so I have time to spare, and that 30 seconds is *still* better than letting myself have an encounter and trying to run away, which would've taken a whole 10 seconds more (at least). I kinda gave myself an easy out, though. Instead of immediately going back for the elixir-behind-the-wall, I went for the phoenix down and just ran straight through to Mois, then went back and grabbed the elixir and leather wrist. It probably took an extra 10~15 seconds, but it might've also saved me another hour of real-life time resetting to get that elixir on the way without any encounters. For some reason, every time I tried to exit the mage masher room, return and get the elixir, luck would just so have it that I'd get an encounter immediately after grabbing that chest. Didn't wanna chance it this time so I gave myself the shortcut. I still have to fight BW and Sealion though, but that's the fun part! Hard part of this segment over, I'll call it a success
#20seyyjJPosted 11/15/2013 11:54:53 AM
"Are those eggs hatching?" *PSFFFHHHHWWWWIUUU*

Oh man, getting out of Dali is tougher than I expected, after few hours of trying I only got once to BW2, only to see how miserably disabling Fira counter can fail. When I'm having a lucky streak with the battle escape, most of the time I can't get out of the chest room. Then there's that long screen where I keep getting that encounter just before the exit. I'm not entirely sure if it's a good or bad thing when the encounters happen either at the very beginning or at the very end..
---