This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

E2PG question

#31seyyjJPosted 11/17/2013 6:35:23 AM(edited)
Gotta agree with doubtkiller25 and I want to say I'm really grateful for all the effort put into the guide.

I've made the decision to go for path C and hence decided to do Ice Cavern all again. Had to do it again because when I first nailed the treasure picking part, I accidently did it with no Fast Disc Read. At some point after tedious resetting I did some hard resetting and that made the setting go off, even when sometimes it won't change the setting. No more stupid mistakes like that, hopefully.

After another tedious Ice Cavern session I had really nice boss fight and now I'm barely under the target time and on my way to Dali. Now I keep getting way more encounters than I did before, even in the screen before BW1 battle. Then when I got out to Norlich Heights, I kept getting encountered even before the forest. When I finally made it in Dali, I messed it all up with a mix of getting stuck with the kids, freezing up while shopping, being sloppy with the chests and Mognet letters. Maybe I'll do a practise save just before entering Dali..

Anyway, after everything I've been through so far, I'm really beginning to realize how great achievement it is to do a run like NBtheGameMaster did. I can only stand in awe.
---
psn: lennylardo/gudmundsdottir
#32doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/17/2013 10:38:23 AM
seyyjJ posted...

After another tedious Ice Cavern session I had really nice boss fight and now I'm barely under the target time and on my way to Dali. Now I keep getting way more encounters than I did before, even in the screen before BW1 battle. Then when I got out to Norlich Heights, I kept getting encountered even before the forest. When I finally made it in Dali, I messed it all up with a mix of getting stuck with the kids, freezing up while shopping, being sloppy with the chests and Mognet letters. Maybe I'll do a practise save just before entering Dali..

Anyway, after everything I've been through so far, I'm really beginning to realize how great achievement it is to do a run like NBtheGameMaster did. I can only stand in awe.

This is exactly how my Dali runs went. It's like you finally get there, thinking "man, I didn't have a single encounter! It'll be so easy from here on out, I totally have this in the bag", but then you end up accidentally talking to snot-nosed Gordon, accidentally talking to poor li'l trapped Vivi again before entering the windmill, and messing up the shopping menu sequence. I just got tired of it after spending a couple hours more than I thought such a segment deserved and took a time over 20 seconds. Curse my laziness, but I have almost a whole minute to spare for each circuit following the guide's target times, so ultimately I should be fine. Hopefully, at least...

Following Justin's playthroughs on youtube just leave me speechless as well. Him and these other guys are just in a totally different league of patience and mad skillz
#33seyyjJPosted 11/18/2013 9:40:20 AM
Hey doubtkiller25, been making any progress?

As for myself, earlier I made the decision to go with path C but I changed my mind. It's my first attempt on the challenge and I kinda rationalized it all over again; rather than having perfect LV 99 Zidane (the only reason I initially picked path C), I'll be better off if I can allow some sloppiness. Of course I still put sincere effort in my circuits but I realized I can't be bothered to keep trying those longer ones over and over again to get the perfect result.

Just made it to Dragons Gate with time of 2:07:08 after letting Freya win FOTH. Since I'm 5000 gil behind of the target amount with my 7001 gil, does it change any buying strategies or something in the future?
---
#34doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/18/2013 9:53:45 AM
seyyjJ posted...

As for myself, earlier I made the decision to go with path C but I changed my mind. It's my first attempt on the challenge and I kinda rationalized it all over again; rather than having perfect LV 99 Zidane (the only reason I initially picked path C), I'll be better off if I can allow some sloppiness. Of course I still put sincere effort in my circuits but I realized I can't be bothered to keep trying those longer ones over and over again to get the perfect result.

Just made it to Dragons Gate with time of 2:07:08 after letting Freya win FOTH. Since I'm 5000 gil behind of the target amount with my 7001 gil, does it change any buying strategies or something in the future?

Dang, you're putting me to shame! I only get to play through a circuit or two at a time because of my schedule, so I still have two Waltz's to snuff and a factory full of ghosts to hopefully not encounter. Hopefully I can do that today. And I'm thinking of doing the challenge again some time in the future as well! Essentially the same train of thought lead me to try path A over the others, no need to kill ourselves on our first attempt at the challenge, right? After all, you don't do the EIIPG on your first play through ffIX, so why go for combined or path C on your first playthrough of an EIIPG?

Honestly I would *love* to record perfect runs through the rest of the series, but I don't want to get too ambitious until I finish this one first so we shall see. But tonight I'll hopefully get to Lindblum!! Good luck crossing the mist continent, seyyjJ!
#35monkeyslingerPosted 11/18/2013 5:16:40 PM
seyyjJ posted...

Not really. The only thing that would be different is how many Cotton Robes you can make the first time you visit the synthesis shop in Treno, but that has no impact whatsoever on the rest of the challenge.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
http://ffixexiipgfinalequip.blogspot.com/
#36seyyjJPosted 11/19/2013 7:53:02 AM
doubtkiller25 posted...
seyyjJ posted...

Dang, you're putting me to shame! I only get to play through a circuit or two at a time because of my schedule, so I still have two Waltz's to snuff and a factory full of ghosts to hopefully not encounter. Hopefully I can do that today. And I'm thinking of doing the challenge again some time in the future as well! Essentially the same train of thought lead me to try path A over the others, no need to kill ourselves on our first attempt at the challenge, right? After all, you don't do the EIIPG on your first play through ffIX, so why go for combined or path C on your first playthrough of an EIIPG?

Honestly I would *love* to record perfect runs through the rest of the series, but I don't want to get too ambitious until I finish this one first so we shall see. But tonight I'll hopefully get to Lindblum!! Good luck crossing the mist continent, seyyjJ!

Exactly. Even when A/B paths might be a lot easier, it's still a huge challenge considering the irl time investment. Luckily I have all the time in the world right now. And I actually thought about recording my run but I was too lazy to get a capture card.. Would be fun tho.

Good luck with the Dali underground part, from what I've seen, you're gonna really gonna need it. For me it was almost as tedious as Ice Cavern. If I got lucky with the battle, It was either the small mist room or the last few steps before getting to the cutscene screen where my attempts kept failing. The bosses didn't cause much problem but I managed to mess up with the BW2 Fira counter thingy once. For BW3 there's no way you can mess up.

Just few moments ago I had a huge sigh of relief After hours of resetting all together, I got past the first forced encounter. Getting in front of the Grotto was luckily easy but the attempts on those mages.. oh gosh. Sometimes I petrified the first mage on first hit but then I couldn't petrify the second at all. Once I got really bad battle but managed to pull it off and when I got out of the Grotto, I got random encounter almost instantly. Then today after trying it for nearly an hour, I got it, first mage petrified with one hit and the second on third so I couldn't ask for a better battle.

Now I get to have fun with getting the chocographs, yay!
---
#37doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 8:54:01 AM
Jumping over one of the harder parts of the challenge, good job!! And chocograph hunting is so much fun, I wish I was at your point in the game. I *still* haven't managed to pick up the controller, life is too darn hectic. Tonight's the night though
#38doubtkiller25(Topic Creator)Posted 11/19/2013 2:59:26 PM(edited)
Ummm, wut.

So I started the ps2, mentally preparing myself for what everyone says is a fairly annoying segment. And how did it go?

...it was almost perfect on the first try. I didn't have a single random encounter, BW2 killed Vivi with his second attack, and I got through the run with only a handful of random mistakes. Actually, that last part is being a little generous, I picked up 50 seconds of extra time, and I know where it all was, too. I was sloppy in the menus, optimizing and equipping Bandit before the BW battle, and I slowed down my text skipping right before getting on the airship because I absolutely did not want to fudge the run by accidentally going back to town. There was also an fmv that I really messed up on skipping (skipping on this darn slim ps2 is a pain!!), and if I refined all that I could probably get the time down a decent 30 seconds or so. But at the same time, essentially everything going right on the first try? I know I won't get another lucky break like that again, and going by my "extra 8 minute" guideline, I should have another 4 minutes to screw up on this disk, and I plan on giving the f.o.t.h. win to Freya, so I'll have another almost 3 minutes on top of that. Even giving myself a lazy break on this lucky run, I should be ok.

edit: just to put it out there, my time after that segment is 1:39:57.
#39seyyjJPosted 11/19/2013 3:29:08 PM
doubtkiller25 posted...
Ummm, wut.

So I started the ps2, mentally preparing myself for what everyone says is a fairly annoying segment. And how did it go?

...it was almost perfect on the first try. I didn't have a single random encounter, BW2 killed Vivi with his second attack, and I got through the run with only a handful of random mistakes. Actually, that last part is being a little generous, I picked up 50 seconds of extra time, and I know where it all was, too. I was sloppy in the menus, optimizing and equipping Bandit before the BW battle, and I slowed down my text skipping right before getting on the airship because I absolutely did not want to fudge the run by accidentally going back to town. There was also an fmv that I really messed up on skipping (skipping on this darn slim ps2 is a pain!!), and if I refined all that I could probably get the time down a decent 30 seconds or so. But at the same time, essentially everything going right on the first try? I know I won't get another lucky break like that again, and going by my "extra 8 minute" guideline, I should have another 4 minutes to screw up on this disk, and I plan on giving the f.o.t.h. win to Freya, so I'll have another almost 3 minutes on top of that. Even giving myself a lazy break on this lucky run, I should be ok.

edit: just to put it out there, my time after that segment is 1:39:57.

Oh whoa, I'm glad to hear you got past it with no frustration. I'd go with that too if it was literally my first attempt.

Just managed to finish the chocographs. First it was fun, because I got the two of them in five attempts, even got the chocograph piece during the second game. Then with the last one my luck ran out, I kept getting those random ones and I think I got Abandoned Beach like 3-4 times in a row. After 3 hours as I was about to give up, I got it. Now that I got it, might aswell try getting Limit Glove.
---
#40seyyjJPosted 11/20/2013 10:39:26 AM
There's something about the target times that really confuse me.

In Burmecia, right after the forced battle with the mages you're supposed to leave and save if you get a good fight. I did and I saved with the time of 02:46:22, for this save the guide mentions a target time of 2:47:25. Now after finally getting through the area with no encounters or errors, my time before Beatrix is 02:51:22. Then for the disc change save the guide gives a target time of 02:51:05.

So what's up with that? It really doesn't seem right to me, so is there something I just don't get or what? It's not like it's gonna ruin anything for me but I'm just curious.
---