This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Amarant, Mount Gulug (PG/EII)

#1ben_the_vaPosted 12/19/2013 5:53:57 PM
So, once again, I followed the Perfect Game (Excalibur II) strategy, by Atamos199. Preemptively, before entering Mount Gulug, I zombified Amarant on the beaches of Esto Gaza in order to make the Red Dragon battles easier.

Welp, every chance I've had to encounter the first set of dragons (if regular battles don't get me killed first), and Amarant actually gets a strike in - they don't fall. I thought he was supposed to take them out in one blow. Freya has even had an opportunity to get a strike in before him once before, and COMBINED they can't even take one out. What is going on?
#2monkeyslingerPosted 12/19/2013 6:15:27 PM
You probably switched his equipment when you shouldn't have. For the zombie Amarant strategy he should be equipped with Kaiser Knuckles, Green Beret, Bone Wrist, Power Vest, and Black Belt with MP Attack and Bird Killer activated. Perhaps the guide should make it more clear that you should use this setup instead of the regular one that appears later. It does say something along those lines, but it could easily be missed if you're not paying close attention.

I should also mention that you shouldn't bother messing with the rest of the party's equipment when going through the Red Dragons.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
http://ffixexiipgfinalequip.blogspot.com/
#3ben_the_va(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 6:41:49 PM
Actually I paid close attention to honor this strategy for my Path A playthrough. Only Freya and Amarant are active in battle by the time I face that first pair of dragons, and the equipment is as follows:

Freya
- Holy Lance
- Linen Cuirass (for Cover)

Amarant (zombified)
- Kaiser Knuckles
- Green Beret
- Bone Wrist
- Power Vest
- Power Belt (for MP Attack)

As you can see, I substituted the Power Belt for the Black Belt because the guide called for the MP Attack ability to be equipped. Also, in the help description, it says the Black Belt raises strength, but changing out the Power Belt actually reduces his Strength by 1 (from 29 to 28), decreases Defense (not that it matters), and raises Spirit by 2. So I'm confused - do I need the MP Attack ability more or Black Belt? It seems like it'd be lose-lose by equipping Black Belt.
#4monkeyslingerPosted 12/19/2013 6:51:30 PM
Ah, then that looks like a slight oversight on our part. Amarant needs the Black Belt for its wind-enhancing property, but he hasn't learned MP Attack.

@Atomos: Here's another small change to make to the guide.

Give Amarant the Red Hat that you find as you go through Mt. Gulug. That will give him MP Attack and he should still be strong enough.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
#5ben_the_va(Topic Creator)Posted 12/19/2013 8:20:42 PM
Thank you very much!

Now the trick is getting RD to use Dive! 8D *waits 3 hours...*
#6seyyjJPosted 12/20/2013 1:34:22 AM
Good luck with that! :D
#7Atomos199Posted 12/20/2013 3:19:51 AM
Correction made and file uploaded.
---
I never gained supreme ulti-complete status. I projected my mind ca. 3 years into the future and realized it was going to be a waste of time.
~ bastardpoetry
#8monkeyslingerPosted 12/20/2013 4:00:02 PM
@TC: It just occurred to me that those alternate instructions in the guide assume that you make up for the AP missed by encountering the Friendly Feather Circle. If you don't have Amarant learn MP Attack now you're going to have to find a way to give it to him later.
---
#9ben_the_va(Topic Creator)Posted 12/20/2013 5:35:58 PM
Correct, because now I'm having difficulty defeating Meltigemini with the setup in the FAQ, because Amarant still hasn't learned MP Attack.

I should probably note, I'm not concerned with the Excalibur II and the time trial (I'm well into 30+ hours), but stat paths, and most other completionist key items, I am, so I've been adhering to the guide.

Is the AP from this battle absolutely necessary, or can I defeat Meltigemini with the Virus status inflicted?
#10VeghEstherPosted 12/20/2013 7:55:58 PM(edited)
If it helps that boss is weak to bad breath (poison/dark/slow) effects and the useless mini spell that I never use even at level 70+ against it CAN effect it.

I say remove virus off him because MP attack still costs over 100 AP to learn it.