This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We will never get a game this good again.

#1Nova EXPosted 1/1/2014 9:56:00 AM(edited)
I was taking a relaxing walk the other night around dusk enjoying the wintry scene and the Christmas lights on all the houses and it made me think back to getting this game on Christmas about 13 years ago now. I replayed through the game a year ago and absolutely loved it. The age had no effect whatsoever, I still loved it every bit as much now as I did back then. I really love Final Fantasy VII too, and that game is definitely a unique gem as well, but when I look back at FF7, nostalgia definitely plays some part of my love for that game.

And id be lying if nostalgia didnt play some sort of role with my love for FF9 too, but, just looking at the world, the characters, the music, the gameplay, and most importantly the story, I truly think Square perfected their formula with this game. FF9 often gets overlooked for FF7, and sometimes FF10, but I think Square was at their best with 9.
---
Its not about strength or power, you gotta be fluid, you have to be like water.
#2JukainPosted 1/1/2014 6:47:20 PM
Unless you're talking specifically about Square Enix games, you should play Persona 3 and Persona 4. They're at least as good if not better than Final Fantasy IX. Different, to be sure, but they were the RPGs on the PS2 that blew my expectations out of the water and reshaped my ideals about what makes a great RPG.

If you are talking only Square Enix games, I would argue that Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System is a worthy mention. Granted most English-speaking folks won't experience it unless Kitase makes good on his word that if X|X-2 HD Remaster does well that XII HD Remaster will follow suit, it really is quite amazing and the limitations set by the Zodiac License Plates make each character have a role and makes you think how to best synergize them (much like this game, one of the best things about it) in order to successfully tackle the challenges the game throws at you. IZJS took what was already a pretty good experience and made it all the more better.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#3AkujatuPosted 1/2/2014 3:05:31 AM(edited)
Jukain posted...
Unless you're talking specifically about Square Enix games, you should play Persona 3 and Persona 4. They're at least as good if not better than Final Fantasy IX. Different, to be sure, but they were the RPGs on the PS2 that blew my expectations out of the water and reshaped my ideals about what makes a great RPG.

If you are talking only Square Enix games, I would argue that Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System is a worthy mention. Granted most English-speaking folks won't experience it unless Kitase makes good on his word that if X|X-2 HD Remaster does well that XII HD Remaster will follow suit, it really is quite amazing and the limitations set by the Zodiac License Plates make each character have a role and makes you think how to best synergize them (much like this game, one of the best things about it) in order to successfully tackle the challenges the game throws at you. IZJS took what was already a pretty good experience and made it all the more better.

Square Enix.
Square Co.

It shames IX to hear people think Enix had anything to do with it, lol. I'd suggest you know what you're saying next time you post, because you sound ignorant.
---
Gamefaqs... Where the 'core gamers' cry. - ScRui
#4XenosheartPosted 1/2/2014 7:33:18 AM
I used to want a FF IX remake / sequel until a couple of days ago, when I saw what they did with FF X remaster. Now I wish they continue to ignore this gem.
---
Final Fantasy IX / Kingdom Hearts
|GR|
#5FakersSoul15Posted 1/2/2014 10:37:44 AM
Hmm, seems that you still haven't played games like Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, The World Ends with You and Bravely Default.
---
Dream Team = Fantastic. Sticker Star = Craptastic.
#6peedeejayPosted 1/2/2014 2:14:24 PM
Akujatu posted...

Square Enix.
Square Co.

It shames IX to hear people think Enix had anything to do with it, lol. I'd suggest you know what you're saying next time you post, because you sound ignorant.

Jukain never said FFIX had anything to do with Enix. The fact is that the company is now SquareEnix, so that is who is currently producing games that the OP is lamenting are not as good as IX. So, I'd suggest you review your reading comprehension skills next time you post, because calling somebody ignorant while ignoring what they said only makes one person look bad.
#7XenosheartPosted 1/2/2014 3:26:45 PM
FakersSoul15 posted...
Hmm, seems that you still haven't played games like Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, The World Ends with You and Bravely Default.

None of them was nearly as good as FF IX. KH BBS is good, better than many KH games, but really far behind FF IX. TWEWY, I find mediocre at best.
---
Final Fantasy IX / Kingdom Hearts
|GR|
#8AkujatuPosted 1/2/2014 10:13:17 PM
peedeejay posted...
Akujatu posted...

Square Enix.
Square Co.

Jukain never said FFIX had anything to do with Enix. The fact is that the company is now SquareEnix, so that is who is currently producing games that the OP is lamenting are not as good as IX. So, I'd suggest you review your reading comprehension skills next time you post, because calling somebody ignorant while ignoring what they said only makes one person look bad.

He specifically referenced Enix when speaking of FFIX, so apply your logic to yourself first kiddo.
---
#9monkeyslingerPosted 1/2/2014 10:31:25 PM
Akujatu posted...
He specifically referenced Enix when speaking of FFIX, so apply your logic to yourself first kiddo.

Your post was putting words into her mouth that she never said. No one has said that Enix was involved in making FFIX, but just because the merger happened after FFIX was made doesn't mean it's not now a Square-Enix game.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
http://ffixexiipgfinalequip.blogspot.com/
#10AkujatuPosted 1/2/2014 10:47:49 PM
monkeyslinger posted...
Akujatu posted...

Your post was putting words into her mouth that she never said. No one has said that Enix was involved in making FFIX, but just because the merger happened after FFIX was made doesn't mean it's not now a Square-Enix game.

Semantics. If you don't like it, cry elsewhere.
---