This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

We will never get a game this good again.

#41fcftwPosted 1/24/2014 2:54:29 PM
I never played this until I recently bought it on PSN because, as you said, it was overlooked by VII, VIII and X. I never really paid attention to IX until I decided to give it a go and man, was I amazed. I don't easily get affected by the age of the game despite me being quite young (18) probably because I played PS1 era games when I was 5. I just found IX to be amazing. Every single event and the world was just so memorable to me. The characters were so awesome too unlike VIII's yet they are overshadowed by the cast of VII, VIII, X, XIII and so forth. I would say that this is my favourite FF.
#42immadbroPosted 2/3/2014 6:19:29 PM
we do have a better game, it's called Valkyrie Profile 2
---
3ds Friend Code: 1263-7002-2175
#43SnazzybatPosted 2/4/2014 12:32:13 PM
Nostalgia, man. YOU will never get a game as good as this again. Other people are enjoying newer games quite well.

FFIX was awesome. But don't limit your expectations. If you decide there will never be a game this good again, then there never will be.
#44castrejon04Posted 2/4/2014 5:30:35 PM
Bravely Default has nothing on this.
---
"Don't let it end like this...Tell them I said something." Pancho Villa
#45IHazCandy4YouPosted 2/9/2014 11:39:56 AM
Snazzybat posted...
Nostalgia, man. YOU will never get a game as good as this again. Other people are enjoying newer games quite well.

FFIX was awesome. But don't limit your expectations. If you decide there will never be a game this good again, then there never will be.

Exactly. This mindset would go such a long way towards people's negativity towards every new final fantasy. 9 was the first I played and therefore has the most nostalgia and sentimental attachment for ME, so any of the others may be as good or better, 9 will probably always be my favorite and once I accepted that mindset I saw 12/13 in a whole different light, and can appreciate what they do right, instead of wondering why they won't hold up to 9
---
Don't cry about yearly releases and then buy your games used. It's your own fault we get CoD and AC every year.
#46tzimiscefucijiPosted 2/14/2014 11:42:37 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#47tzimiscefucijiPosted 2/14/2014 11:45:05 AM
For me itīs very hard to tell which one is better overall.

FFIX is very classical and resembles a lot the old class rpg from the snes, where every character have his role- unique charisma, history and every party member have something in common with te main char that shines with the confront of his lost memories and past...
The music, gameplay( simple and complete) the challenges, the mini games, i could say much more details that makes this games so unique.

BUT, i have to say that ff7 indeed have a history that was never seem( maybe on xenogears and torment planescape, which relies on history anyway), and again the characters have their own purposes and goal.. The gameplay is good, but it lacks a little bit of the unique role of each chars, everyone can use the same things in the end, and the only differences between then is their limit breaks.But is really a fantastics one.

FF5 is soooo great for that time where i barely knew rpg and then i saw so many classes, that history, the side quests, that made so many others like rpg.

FF6 is also a epic, there was so many good characters that find their goals throughout the game and mix with the main history giving a masterpiece game.

I NEED to mention FFtactics also, that doensīt compares with the games above, but itīs os perfect that have to be noted.Everything is perfect. iīll say no more about it, the word "perfect" did the job already.

FF10 is overestimated, the gameplay is good ( in my opinion off course) the sidequests are also nice( not as good as it was in 7, 8 ,and 9) because you start them in the end game only.
But the problem here is, the history focuses on Tidus, Yuna and Auron( not that much this last) only, and give the others little or none importance, in the end they are just there to give support in the fight( even Auron showing that he alone could do it....)and they again committed the same "mistake" of ff7 and 8, letting the limit breaks define the differences between each char.

FF8 is much more complex and difficult to explore.
Squall/Laguna/RInoa/Edea/Raine have a history.
Along them there are other chars( being all the others party member, including Kiros and Ward too.
The game overall is great( my opinion again),the sidequests are very fun( my opinion).
But it shows a kind of romance as you get in the end, most people dont like it in a game, i cannot say that THE romance itself is that enjoyable or good, but the environment tha surrounds it is cool, you can say someone changing because of a single person.
Laguna itself looks like a simple char, but if you analyse him, youīll see that he is a dreamer and a chaser of dreams, even having simple and reachable dreams makes me pay attention to his importance, ff fans should give ff8 a chance....

ff12 Int is really a very good game, itīs original , because of itīs unique style.
The mini games and side quests are very fun and takes a LOT of your time( which is good for most ff generic fans).
BUT it took a LOT of the classical elements, like the summons being a ship( come on, you gotta be kidding, bahamuth is a ship????)
This time the protagonist should be called the protagonist, since the "REAL" protagonist is Ashe and Balthier is the 2 one, Vaan fills a support role only, this is the unique case in the history of the ff where the main char dont have a strong empathy.

That said, ff7 , 9 would have a Draw( maybe ff7 won by a single point). But this shouldnīt be a motive for anyone dont play the others. SInce every ff have its own characteristic.
---
What once was, came to be. What is, loses its existence.
The palpable is nothing, the nothing assumes essence
---
What once was, came to be. What is, loses its existence.
The palpable is nothing, the nothing assumes essence
#48SneakiestNegPosted 2/14/2014 11:47:34 PM
FF9 must be the most tedious game I have ever played. Love everything BUT the battles.