This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Calling All E2PG & Game Mechanics Experts!!!

#21monkeyslingerPosted 2/9/2014 8:59:58 PM(edited)
I'm definitely interested! I've been going back and forth on whether I should level Quina for my run as well as whether to use Limit Glove against Abadon. I'd really like to hear what you have in mind.

I seem to recall that Atomos was against leveling them separately when I suggested it before because it would take more time. What if they were leveled together in a single battle against two Ring Leaders? That would put them both at level 20 with just one battle.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
http://ffixexiipgfinalequip.blogspot.com/
#22camdad04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 10:10:19 PM
I can do better than tell you...

I can email you the savestates I have before each battle on psxfin. I obviously wasn't doing a real run, so I sharked in 99 of every item in the game. That, and the time is way off, but the levels were done accurately. All of the current equipment setups are accurate as well, so you'll get a good feel for the actual possibilities... (Exception: Zidane's Adaman Hat was equipped at the beginning of Terra for convenience only -- the leveling battles aren't affected.)

Once you try these battle setups, you'll never want to go back! A victory is virtually guaranteed! The only remaining variable is how fast the battles can be completed.

The extra time required to level them separately is minimal. The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of multiple battles while in Terra, so no extras are required. Quina won't have to wait until the last screen to level up, so you can use the first encounter for the job!
---
I wish you good luck, little boy. You're going to need it.
#23camdad04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2014 10:16:25 PM
monkeyslinger posted...
What if they were leveled together in a single battle against two Ring Leaders? That would put them both at level 20 with just one battle.

The limiting factor is the single Holy Miter available at this point; neither character can sufficiently level without it...

Your stat path might say otherwise; I'm just talking in terms of ordered path C w/o final equipment and combined stats paths.
---
#24Atomos199Posted 2/10/2014 3:31:42 AM
camdad and/or monkeyslinger, would you be willing to edit these changes into the guide by yourselves? Both of you are playing the game/challenge now so everything's fresh and clear, unlike for me. I let Illusion implement some of the very final changes to the latest version and it worked out very well, he knew what he was doing. I trust you guys as well.

You could change anything else you feel is relevant, just mark it with 3 asterisks (***, I don't use this combo anywhere so the changes can be tracked with Ctrl-F). I would just take a look-over, delete the asterisks, and then upload.

I'm a bit worried about the impact on the target times, though. You would need a tight estimate of the net changes so that subsequent targets are updated accordingly as well. It's more important for me that the target times are reliable than getting some better strategies in there at this point.
---
I never gained supreme ulti-complete status. I projected my mind ca. 3 years into the future and realized it was going to be a waste of time.
~ bastardpoetry
#25monkeyslingerPosted 2/10/2014 3:40:30 PM
camdad04 posted...
I can do better than tell you...

I can email you the savestates I have before each battle on psxfin. I obviously wasn't doing a real run, so I sharked in 99 of every item in the game. That, and the time is way off, but the levels were done accurately. All of the current equipment setups are accurate as well, so you'll get a good feel for the actual possibilities... (Exception: Zidane's Adaman Hat was equipped at the beginning of Terra for convenience only -- the leveling battles aren't affected.)

Once you try these battle setups, you'll never want to go back! A victory is virtually guaranteed! The only remaining variable is how fast the battles can be completed.

The extra time required to level them separately is minimal. The odds are overwhelmingly in favor of multiple battles while in Terra, so no extras are required. Quina won't have to wait until the last screen to level up, so you can use the first encounter for the job!

Would I be able to use the computer to see your savestates? I don't have an emulator and the best hardware I have is a PS2.

camdad04 posted...
monkeyslinger posted...
What if they were leveled together in a single battle against two Ring Leaders? That would put them both at level 20 with just one battle.

The limiting factor is the single Holy Miter available at this point; neither character can sufficiently level without it...

Your stat path might say otherwise; I'm just talking in terms of ordered path C w/o final equipment and combined stats paths.

They can actually still do it on Path C if you get a Pearl Rouge! /tongue-in-cheek

I'm sure it would be better to do it in two battles than resort to that, though.

Atomos199 posted...
camdad and/or monkeyslinger, would you be willing to edit these changes into the guide by yourselves? Both of you are playing the game/challenge now so everything's fresh and clear, unlike for me. I let Illusion implement some of the very final changes to the latest version and it worked out very well, he knew what he was doing. I trust you guys as well.

You could change anything else you feel is relevant, just mark it with 3 asterisks (***, I don't use this combo anywhere so the changes can be tracked with Ctrl-F). I would just take a look-over, delete the asterisks, and then upload.

I'm a bit worried about the impact on the target times, though. You would need a tight estimate of the net changes so that subsequent targets are updated accordingly as well. It's more important for me that the target times are reliable than getting some better strategies in there at this point.

I could do that. There are a couple of things I would have liked to have changed, but I guess you thought they were too much of a hassle.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
#26camdad04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 9:26:53 PM(edited)
^ Not a problem.

I'll see if I can figure out how to record videos from an emulator and I'll make you some.

I don't have time right now to write up a detailed explanation, but for now, you can work in learning an extra ability for both Dagger and Quina:

Dagger:

1. Level Up (assuming you don't use Pearl Rouge for your stat path in Terra/Pandemonium)

Simply equip Dagger with Fairy Earrings and either Stardust Rod (Reflect is nice to have for Terra, but not necessary) or Silk Robe for both Hilgigars and Soul Cage with Ability Up activated. For Valia Pira, you'll either need a second Egoist's Armlet for both Dagger and Quina, or Quina can equip Fairy Earrings in place of Yellow Scarf.

Quina:

1. Auto-Potion

Equip Magician Robe or Mythril Vest for Valia Pira and Earth Guardian. Holy Miter has the Insomniac ability, so Quina doesn't need to master it and can equip Green Beret instead for Valia Pira.
---
#27monkeyslingerPosted 2/10/2014 9:46:29 PM(edited)
camdad04 posted...
I don't have time right now to write up a detailed explanation, but for now, you can work in learning an extra ability for both Dagger and Quina:

Dagger:

1. Level Up (assuming you don't use Pearl Rouge for your stat path in Terra/Pandemonium)

Simply equip Dagger with Fairy Earrings and either Stardust Rod (Reflect is nice to have for Terra, but not necessary) or Silk Robe for both Hilgigars and Soul Cage with Ability Up activated. For Valia Pira, you'll either need a second Egoist's Armlet for both Dagger and Quina, or Quina can equip Fairy Earrings in place of Yellow Scarf.

This is another thing I'm going back and forth on -- whether to buy a Pearl Rouge for use in Terra. I already had exactly this planned for in case I decide not to. I guess I could buy an extra Stardust Rod and equip it for Soul Cage and the Mistodons to learn Reflect. I have something else in mind for Hilgigars. :)

Quina:

1. Auto-Potion

Equip Magician Robe or Mythril Vest for Valia Pira and Earth Guardian. Holy Miter has the Insomniac ability, so Quina doesn't need to master it and can equip Green Beret instead for Valia Pira.

Am I right in assuming the goal is to have Quina throwing Hi-Potions at himself when Abadon hits him?
---
#28camdad04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 10:14:51 PM
monkeyslinger posted...
I have something else in mind for Hilgigars. :)

Very curious! :)

Am I right in assuming the goal is to have Quina throwing Hi-Potions at himself when Abadon hits him?

Exactly.
---
#29monkeyslingerPosted 2/11/2014 9:15:24 PM
Atomos199 posted...

I've gone through and made the changes that I thought would improve the guide. I marked them all with *** and stated what I changed. Perhaps I could email it to you, camdad, so you can make the changes for Terra/Pandemonium since it's already in your head.
---
#30camdad04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2014 9:29:55 PM(edited)
^That would be great!

My email is camdad04@yahoo.com.
---