This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Loved I-VI, hated VII-VIII. Worth trying IX?

#11upsuperPosted 2/1/2014 3:10:27 AM
Hello. Somewhat of a FF fan here, and I've never really played IX before. I always hear good things, and that it's more like the older games in the series than VII and VIII before it, which is appealing to me.

My first FF was 1, and since then I've beaten the first six games in the series, with V and VI being my favorites. And after that, things get shaky. I've tried many times to enjoy VII, and I just dislike it. Nothing to do with the visuals, I just can't get into it. I fared similarly with VIII. From X until XII (haven't played XIII, probably won't) I just thought the series became something completely different from what it originally was, though I did enjoy them to some degree.

My question now is, given this, is it worth me trying IX? I've got it sitting on my shelf having never played it. I'd really appreciate any input. Thank you very much.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
Official Frost Five of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#2CalmlanderPosted 2/1/2014 5:34:59 AM
Well, the main ideas behind IX was to make an homage to the Final Fantasy series, IX is an ''old school'' RPG with the best graphics available at the time. And the developers said this game was their finest work.

So why not? Try it.
---
FFI - Chronodia done with 4 White Mages http://postimg.org/image/3w8s5waxp/
FFX - 100 goals in 1 Blitz League -http://postimg.org/image/byfjhefa1/
#3ScizoreonPosted 2/1/2014 5:36:29 AM
You should definitely try 9

9 feels like Square's way of saying goodbye to the series (as it was) as it draws together the best parts of the earlier games (including a large number of references) in order to produce the greatest example of a Final Fantasy game.

The class system (which was almost absent from 7 and 8) makes a return, in a style similar to 4 with a small collection of characters with set jobs.

The story is a perfect blend of action, despair, humour and romance without actively forcing any of these down your throat (the despair aspect does get a bit heavy at times but they do their best to relieve it where possible).

9 also features one the best mini-games of any final fantasy in the form of Chocobo Hot and Cold which is easily accessible to anyone (unlike Triple Triad from 8 which can be a little difficult to handle).

7,10, 11 and 13 onwards seem to put more emphasis on style rather than substance which seems to have reduced the quality of these games after you look beyond the flashy graphics. 8 suffered from an inconsistent story that started out promising but quickly collapsed into a story focused solely on the relationship between Squall and Rinoa. 12 had the problem of again focusing more on appearance than story, however I feel that it is a good game as it was able to make up any weaknesses in its story by relying on the mythos already established by the other members of the Ivalice saga.
#4edubsPosted 2/1/2014 9:09:43 AM
Scizoreon posted...

9 feels like Square's way of saying goodbye to the series (as it was) as it draws together the best parts of the earlier games (including a large number of references) in order to produce the greatest example of a Final Fantasy game.

The class system (which was almost absent from 7 and 8) makes a return, in a style similar to 4 with a small collection of characters with set jobs.

The story is a perfect blend of action, despair, humour and romance without actively forcing any of these down your throat (the despair aspect does get a bit heavy at times but they do their best to relieve it where possible).

9 also features one the best mini-games of any final fantasy in the form of Chocobo Hot and Cold which is easily accessible to anyone (unlike Triple Triad from 8 which can be a little difficult to handle).

7,10, 11 and 13 onwards seem to put more emphasis on style rather than substance which seems to have reduced the quality of these games after you look beyond the flashy graphics. 8 suffered from an inconsistent story that started out promising but quickly collapsed into a story focused solely on the relationship between Squall and Rinoa. 12 had the problem of again focusing more on appearance than story, however I feel that it is a good game as it was able to make up any weaknesses in its story by relying on the mythos already established by the other members of the Ivalice saga.

The best minigame being chocobo hot and cold? Man I really hated that tedious game. Its boring and time consuming
---
Greatest system of all time is the N64. OOT, SM64, Paper Mario DK64 and Ogre Battle
not changing my sig until the Pirates have a winning season started 3/31/08
#5wpotPosted 2/1/2014 9:39:54 AM
Absolutely, yes, give it a try. A warning, though: you might feel the style is a bit too...'kiddy' for the first hour or two. I started playing with FF1, and the 'toony' Queen/jesters in the early part of the game turned me off. Fortunately, that feel goes away as the game gets going, and the plot goes deeper than the early graphics would imply.

Ultimately the game is...more like FF4 than anything else, although the dialogue and style is much updated.
---
Pronounced "Whup-pot". Say it. Use it.
#61upsuper(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2014 2:02:47 PM
Thanks a lot, everyone. I'll definitely give it a try now. About the "kiddiness" - that's a total nonissue. Stuff like that doesn't bother me.
---
http://www.backloggery.com/1upsuper
Official Frost Five of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
#7KoopaBoopPosted 2/1/2014 5:00:12 PM
I say definitely. IX harkens back to the good ol' days of Final Fantasy. I-VI anyways.
---
0962 9849 6963 - 3DS FC
#8I_Love_OrlhaPosted 2/1/2014 6:04:33 PM
I'd say yeas it is worth it. As mentioned earlier FFIX does feel like the older classic FFs more than FFVII and FFVIII do. Since you seem to really appreciate the first six FFs you are likely to enjoy this one.

In my opinion Final Fantasy IX is the best FF by a large margin. It really has a magical and overall beautiful vibe behind it. In this game you have the scenic atmospheric intro that does well to immerse you in it's world. The plot unfolds at good pace, it is well written and does not feel at all half-a**ed. You really feel the emotion and dreams the story writers intended, it is more organic and has less if any "corporate muscle" generic feel to it that games these days seem to posses en masse.

There is quite the rich variety of Sorrow, Joy, Action, Comedy, and some dashes of romance in one neat package. Here is a neat tidbit of information the Producer Hironobu Sakaguchi himself stated that FFIX was his favorite project and he even wrote the story.

In my eyes FFIX has a better story, overall atmosphere and vibe than most any movie or game I have ever watched or played.
---
All ye fools of faith, repent of thee savior ye place thine prayers upon. Your Gods are "Sky Sadists" you'd know if you read your Holy Texts.
#9nokillingmothsPosted 2/1/2014 7:23:06 PM
Scizoreon posted...

FF7 style over substance? FFIX fanboys will always knock 7. Sad.

IX is an awesome game. Definitely give it a go! Only downside is battles are too slow compared to previous FF games, but i am using my ps1 discs on my ps3. Might be ok from PSN. It makes random battles a massive chore at times.
#10NaughtyOttsel22Posted 2/1/2014 10:06:02 PM
Well I might not be the best person to ask but FFIX is my absolute favorite JRPG ever made...........so yeah I say it is. :P