This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quina: downsides and upsides?

#1Al0ne72Posted 2/3/2014 8:10:09 PM
First time playing in many years. I remember spending so much time trying to get Blue magic, but I'm just going to run through the story this time. It's not like I need the extra help, I seem to be 1-shotting everything with this Ogre, Vivi's magic, and Freya's jump.

Is there anything I would miss out by missing out on Quina? Except for the character of course... like anything story related? Any sidequests? Unique cut-scenes or conversations?
#2edubsPosted 2/3/2014 8:17:03 PM
Well spoiler alert

You can't skip quina. Eventually the plot takes you through the marsh and you have to have quina to move on so you will get her at that point
---
Greatest system of all time is the N64. OOT, SM64, Paper Mario DK64 and Ogre Battle
not changing my sig until the Pirates have a winning season started 3/31/08
#3ertfertPosted 2/3/2014 8:37:11 PM
Well, you miss bits of dialogue here and there, youll also be unable to get 2 chests in Cleyra without Quina in your party
#4peedeejayPosted 2/3/2014 10:44:17 PM
Is there anything you'd miss out on, by not having the best character and true hero of FFIX in your party? Your question was rhetorical, right?
#5PibugoPosted 2/3/2014 10:57:41 PM
I'd say just get him as early as you can. More dialogue, more ATEs and (as mentioned) even a little treasure.
It's not like you lose anything by not doing so, as during the time he is optional, there are no moments in the game where you could choose someone else in place of him.

If you don't want to bother with blue magic, then you can have him as a healer, throwing Phoenix Downs/Potions etc.
Then there's also Add Status + Needle Fork if you are feeling lucky, but other than that, I really wouldn't rely on the random damage of his forks.

Obviously if you don't like Quina or don't want a comic relief character, then don't get Quina. But like edubs said, at one point you must have him.
---
If something is frustrating, then it's hard.
There's no "it's not hard to do, it's just frustrating" in that case it's hard to do due to frustration.
#6Al0ne72(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2014 8:54:30 AM
ertfert posted...
Well, you miss bits of dialogue here and there, youll also be unable to get 2 chests in Cleyra without Quina in your party

Which chests? What do they contain?
edubs posted...
Eventually the plot takes you through the marsh and you have to have quina to move on so you will get her at that point

Qu's marsh in Disc 1? I'm skipping it.
#7VeghEstherPosted 2/4/2014 9:10:52 AM
Not much those 2 chests contain items you can make yourself later on anyways but still since Quina is forced into the party mid disc 2 its still best to learn all possible blue magics ASAP so still get him/it to join on disc 1.
#8monkeyslingerPosted 2/4/2014 11:04:35 AM
Al0ne72 posted...
ertfert posted...

Which chests? What do they contain?

They contain Magician Shoes and a Silk Robe.

Al0ne72 posted...
edubs posted...
Eventually the plot takes you through the marsh and you have to have quina to move on so you will get her at that point

Qu's marsh in Disc 1? I'm skipping it.

It's disc 2 he's talking about.
---
Read along as I pioneer a new stat path for the Final Fantasy IX Excalibur II Perfect Game!
http://ffixexiipgfinalequip.blogspot.com/
#9WindMouseHanpanPosted 2/4/2014 11:35:30 AM
peedeejay posted...
Is there anything you'd miss out on, by not having the best character and true hero of FFIX in your party? Your question was rhetorical, right?

When you said that, I imagined Quina eating Necron...

"I not let world end! Too many things left to eat! I start with you!"
---
Made a new channel, come see my let's plays if you want~!
http://www.youtube.com/user/themorphingfennecfox
#10VeghEstherPosted 2/4/2014 1:26:05 PM
Bosses are immune to the eat command so it won't be possible to end the final boss fight of the game by eating it.