This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Resistance is futile!

#1rumblingrosePosted 6/27/2014 11:18:28 AM
Black Waltz 2 says this when you first meet him... Star Trek reference, or coincidence?
---
Master of my own illusionary world.
#2FranckKnightPosted 6/27/2014 12:03:00 PM
It wouldn't be the first time that references are inserted in FF games, Not to mention that FF9 was full of references to start with.

The only way to make 100% sure would be to check on the japanese text. If the actual text was different, than it was an 'artistic liberty' taken with the translation. If its somewhat similar, it could be just that the reference is also the best way to say it that would sound cool.
---
Shameless plug for personal gaming blog :
http://fk-nantonaku.blogspot.com
#3rumblingrose(Topic Creator)Posted 6/27/2014 12:51:03 PM
That's what I was thinking, that the game has so many references that it might be intentional. I'd probably guess it was the localisation team rather than translated from the original Japanese, though.
---
#4MysterPixelPosted 6/27/2014 3:25:20 PM
He says something like "It is useless to resist!" in the original Japanese. http://www.quad9dyne.com/translations/ff9_disc1_5.htm

So it's not inconceivable that this could be translated as "resistance is futile" with no reference intended, but I expect it would've been chosen because of its use in Star Trek.
#5Vir27Posted 6/27/2014 3:51:43 PM
There's also the man in Lindblum who says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!"

(That's also from Star Trek, for anyone who's straight ignant.) Pretty fair guess that, even if somehow the localization team didn't intentionally do it (something we couldn't necessarily prove), they used the same phrase they had heard before. So, yes, pretty sure it counts as a reference :)
#6rumblingrose(Topic Creator)Posted 6/28/2014 4:44:35 AM
Vir27 posted...
There's also the man in Lindblum who says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a miracle worker!"

Cool, I didn't know about this one! I'll keep an eye out for it ;)
---
#7bbv92628smPosted 6/29/2014 5:42:46 PM
rumblingrose posted...
Vir27 posted...

Cool, I didn't know about this one! I'll keep an eye out for it ;)

I just saw that one the other day when I was replaying through the game. I can't believe I never noticed it before.
---
"We're going back to potatos."
#8TenakuPosted 7/13/2014 1:00:41 AM
How about Star Wars?

"Fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffering..." -Necron

Also, Biggs and Wedge, anyone?
#9PibugoPosted 7/13/2014 2:51:05 AM
Tenaku posted...
How about Star Wars?

"Fear leads to anger... anger leads to hate... hate leads to suffering..." -Necron

Also, Biggs and Wedge, anyone?

Kuja: "Your mother isn't satisfied with just one continent! Her ugliness and stupidity are truly impressive. Ahh... everything is proceeding as I have foreseen."

And Kuja kicking Garland off of the highest point of Pandemonium.

I know there's a couple more, but I can't remember off the top of my head.
---
The stuff I do/post isn't 100% BS -VeghEsther
#10ScizoreonPosted 7/13/2014 4:08:46 AM
Pibugo posted...

And Kuja kicking Garland off of the highest point of Pandemonium.

Isn't that a reference to Final Fantasy 6 (Kefka kicking Gestahl off the floating continent) rather than a direct star wars reference