This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Considering doing a level 1 run

#1Spiky_PeahornPosted 7/26/2014 2:32:40 AM
Tips?
---
It was clever for a guy who screams like Sindel from Mortal Kombat when he gets angry. - MICHALECOLE
#2GwendalPosted 7/26/2014 6:09:38 AM
Honestly, from my experience doing it years back, avoiding the exp is much harder and more tedious than actually winning the battles. There's not really all that much to say...you need to play Chocobo H&C to get the staff that teaches Break as early as you can on disc 1, lots of Tent abuse, and then you just have to hope for the RNG to be kind while you try to petrify enemies.

The worst part of the game by far is the Desert Palace, since you don't have Zidane, so you have to run from battles manually instead of relying on Flee. Which takes absolutely forever, at least it did for me. Iifa Tree can be annoying too, but it mostly comes down to luck again. At least things get easier when you finally get access to Virus status later in the game.

You probably won't need 9999 Thievery just to beat the game, but it's handy for Ozma. I'm never doing that again, ever...ugh.
---
Currently playing:
Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
#3TinseltopiaPosted 7/27/2014 2:46:24 AM
I've never seen the fun in a level 1 run, for games of this type. What is the reason?.. Fun? Challenging?

I can just imagine frustration and more frustration once you get past the earlier sections of the game, because games of this type (I may get some hate for this) don't require skill, they just require thinking a little bit carefully and relying on luck
---
Frog is talking? Should I eat..? Maybe I eat.
#4GwendalPosted 7/27/2014 8:48:21 AM
Tinseltopia posted...
I've never seen the fun in a level 1 run, for games of this type. What is the reason?.. Fun? Challenging?

I can just imagine frustration and more frustration once you get past the earlier sections of the game, because games of this type (I may get some hate for this) don't require skill, they just require thinking a little bit carefully and relying on luck

I enjoy them since these games are usually way too easy, and they let you see the game from a new perspective and force you to use abilities and items you might ignore in a normal game. That said, in this particular game it's really more about luck than anything, and the frustration probably isn't worth it.
---
Currently playing:
Trails in the Sky FC (PC)
#5Duke DarkwoodPosted 7/27/2014 6:42:58 PM
Tinseltopia posted...

Challenging. Which is something I've never found fun, myself, but some people do. (I don't want a cakewalk, either, but I'm not going to spend extra effort to make things harder than normal, any more than I'm going to spend the effort to make them easier. Normal is fine.)

But that's just me. As I said, some people like the challenge. Challenge runs are for them.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#6Max58201Posted 7/28/2014 11:06:06 AM
only one I did a low lv game *of sorts* was in FF10 since there was no real tedium involved since you didnt have to avoid every damn battle and you can get no encounters fairy quickly into the game as well

but normally no....challenging ends up turning into horrid tedium and to me it defeats the point
---
I just wanted to raise his affection, NOT have him lick my nipples
#7invincible1112Posted 7/28/2014 1:06:50 PM
Lvl 1 runs are... well just plain stupid. Thats so tedious to me.
#8Gaara_fanPosted 7/28/2014 1:27:28 PM(edited)
Max58201 posted...
only one I did a low lv game *of sorts* was in FF10 since there was no real tedium involved since you didnt have to avoid every damn battle and you can get no encounters fairy quickly into the game as well

but normally no....challenging ends up turning into horrid tedium and to me it defeats the point

FFX and FFXIII/FFXIII-2 is quite easy to do a low level run as leveling up in these games means using sphere grid or crystarium, so you can fight to your heart's content. FFXII has an accessory that blocks XP but it takes a good while to get. These 3/4 games are the only ones I would ever try to do a LLC.
---
"O Admonishing melody, arise in the of Necromancer. Mystic Cage"
PSN ID: Otonio_Bruno
#9LukeSkyvvalkerPosted 7/30/2014 11:06:15 AM
It will suck. It is so much harder than a regular game, but Disc 2 will be pure hell. - I shouldn't have to say this, but don't even try if you haven't already beaten the game at least once. Not only will it be easier having some knowledge of the game, you will likely come close to making yourself hate the game...

Rely heavily on guide(s).

Make absolute sure to always play Chocobo H&C and to get every single treasure as soon as humanly possible. (Use the guide on here and Youtube - being able to actually see where it is helps, at least for me) You won't regret it.

USE THE TENT TRICK. (Seriously, especially in Disc 2, keep as many of those around as you can)

There are various tricks for training your abilities w/out gaining Exp., so use those whenever possible.

Don't sell all of your Phoenix Pinions. I know, you will need the money, but for at least 1 boss (Meltigemini), Auto-Phoenix is really the only realistic way to beat him in anything close to a reasonable amount of time.

For the love of god, level up Garnet before the forced battle sequence in Pandemonium (Disc 3). Also be sure to max out whatever gem it is that powers up Shiva. - This will greatly enhance your chances of beating this damn near impossible luck based part of the game, and will save you many hours of screaming and violent impulses.

Remember that some temporary characters affect characters you get later permanently. Specifically, Marcus->Eiko. You can level up Marcus as much as you want and Eiko will still be Lv 1 when you get her, even though Marcus' increased stats from leveling will still carry over to her. (because of a glitch) My point is, think long and hard about whether or not it is worth it to have a bunch of money right now, even though you will be screwing around with Eiko's stats. Don't bother unless you are going to level him up all the way.
---
Squall can't operate a canopener without a GF equipped. - Angelalex242
#10LukeSkyvvalkerPosted 7/30/2014 11:08:27 AM
Duke Darkwood posted...
Tinseltopia posted...

Challenging. Which is something I've never found fun, myself, but some people do. (I don't want a cakewalk, either, but I'm not going to spend extra effort to make things harder than normal, any more than I'm going to spend the effort to make them easier. Normal is fine.)

But that's just me. As I said, some people like the challenge. Challenge runs are for them.

Well, at least in the case of FFIX, a Lv 1 game is required for max stats. So people do it for a perfect game file.
---
Squall can't operate a canopener without a GF equipped. - Angelalex242