This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Monster Skill?

#1DigitalFury_Posted 1/15/2008 8:28:39 PM
How do I use it? I had a Mediator invite a Chocobo into my team, and then for the next fight, I equipped someone with the Monster Skill ability, but when I tried to use it in the following fight, there was no option. How do I use Monster Skill to teach someone friendly monster's abilities?
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: RedSoxIBelieve
#2UbeRCoMpToNPosted 1/15/2008 8:32:26 PM
Monster skill has a wonky description, and a wonky use. The game says any monster within 3 panels from the person with it equipped, that is _incorrect_

Monster Skill works as such: You have a Yellow Chocobo on your team. You also have a human with the Monster Skill support ability. In battle, you never actively select Monster Skill - it is a passive ability on at all times. If you move your Yellow Chocobo directly next to your human with Monster Skill - that is ONE panel away from him, not up to 3 like the description says - your Yellow Chocobo will now have Choco Esuna as an ability to be used. So long as the Chocobo is within one panel from the human, it keeps that ability. However, once you move the Chocobo away from the human, then it can no longer use Choco Esuna. There is no way to permanently teach a monster their Monster Skill ability.
---
GG No Re ThX --V
#3DigitalFury_(Topic Creator)Posted 1/15/2008 8:34:15 PM
... That's kind of lame; I was hoping to make one of my characters a Blue Mage (of sorts)
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: RedSoxIBelieve
#4UbeRCoMpToNPosted 1/15/2008 8:41:22 PM
Nope, sorry mate. Monster Skill doesn't really have a whole lot of uses in this game, to be honest. There are a few handy Monsters to have it with, but you have to question whether it is worth it to sacarfice a Support slot for a character and bring a monster in in the first place. Usually, unless you are doing a Behemoth SSCC and are trying to beat Yardow Fort City though, it isn't too handy. It can be fun, though.
---
GG No Re ThX --V
#5Violette_SepherPosted 1/16/2008 12:42:09 AM
In philsov's patch, the monsters have the monster skill innately....talk about getting pwned in Sweegy Woods at low levels >.O
---
Against logic, there is no armor greater than ignorance.
#6IxuPosted 1/22/2008 11:33:04 AM
There are some weird skills out there to access, though. Like the Great Morbol, which gets the ability to permanently turn another unit into a Morbol, or the Wildbow, who can sacrifice himself (crystallizes, so you can't rez 'em) to give someone an extra level, or the Mindflare, who can take a level away from a unit.
#7Shadow_ThrowPosted 1/22/2008 6:36:40 PM
Or Gobbledegucks with Mutilate. Can't forget them even if they are somewhat fragile.
---
A mage can slay at distance with a single spell, a fighter can kill close up with a a swipe of the sword; the wise man can avoid slashes and magic.
#8VirtuousKingPosted 1/22/2008 8:33:58 PM
I'm surprised Kantolin didn't pop in to mention Mutilate first.
---
"What did you see at the graveyard?" "A man in buttpants on a six foot chicken." - igor140
#9rose_legend07Posted 1/25/2008 7:38:58 PM
I noticed the same thing. "Teaching" the monster a new skill does not earn the ability in their monster ability part of the formation menu. Wonder why that is?

Also, if a person is using one monster in their team, is it worth giving up the slot for the monster skill? Curious about this.
---
Fate belongs to those who are living...We can destroy the 'fate' that somebody else made up.
#10UbeRCoMpToNPosted 1/25/2008 11:40:36 PM
Usually, Monster Skill as a whole is little more than a novelety. It can unlock some cool stuff, some interesting abilities that you can find esoteric use for... but all and all, it just isn't that good. Behemoths probably benefit the most from it, overall, but outside of them, it is really, really hard to justify sacraficing a Support slot for Monster Skill.
---
It's turtles all the way down!