This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the first battle in 1.3 supposed to be impossible?

#1DarkLeaguePosted 2/4/2011 6:39:00 PM
Seriously, is there any way I can play vanilla until after the opening battle, save, and then switch back to 1.3? Lezares is so ridiculously impossible that it makes me not want to play this game at all. After 2 hours (5 attempts worth) of trying to beat him, I give up. Even if I take out the 3 archers and chemist without any of my stupid guests dying, Lezares simply cannot be taken down. He heals more damage than any one character can do in a hit JUST BY MOVING, and if he is ever low enough to be killed he just uses a hi potion and suddenly has over half of his max hp. Is this some kind of sick joke?

TLDR; need some way to skip the first stupid battle in 1.3 because guests suck.
#2SeijinMisakoPosted 2/4/2011 6:53:13 PM(edited)
If you cannot beat the first battle in 1.3, then perhaps it isn't for you, as you can expect to restart every single story battle multiple times your first time playing it. Although to be fair, it's true that being unable to control guests makes it pointlessly annoying. To answer your question, you *can* play the battle in vanilla, and then switch to 1.3 just fine, as the save wouldn't change (I believe, anyway).

An alternative is to play FFT 1.3 Easytype, which is a toned down version of the 1.3 patch. It's kind of inbetween the difficulty of vanilla and regular 1.3.
---
If you want my advice, you should just go lie down in front of a rocket. Trust me, it will be a lot less painful than the neurotoxin. -GLaDOS (Portal)
#3DarkLeague(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2011 6:56:52 PM
Haha...I'm definitely not new to the game but I would hardly call the inability to control guests "annoying". It's more like the equivalent of having each of your teeth pulled in rapid succession. The closest I've gotten to killing Lezares is when I had him surrounded by 4 units, he had 14 hp left and Gaf was next. Instead of attacking, he ran away and waited. Lez proceeded to run away to use a hi potion. Of course, my guests refused to attack him again so he ran over to revive the alchemist, who went right after and revived an archer.

I doubt anything else in 1.3 could come close to being so frustrating, so I think I'll pass on the Easytype. Thanks for the info on save files, though. v_v
#4SeijinMisakoPosted 2/4/2011 7:05:17 PM(edited)
If Gafgarion didn't attack him, it must be because he was out of MP to use Night Sword, and out of reach for a regular whack... or his HP was in critical. (The AI always runs when health is in critical, unless it's the last unit of the team.)

When I first played 1.3, Lezales didn't use Hi-Potions, only regulars. Was this changed in the recent patches (I was playing 1.3030), or maybe it's random?

---
If you want my advice, you should just go lie down in front of a rocket. Trust me, it will be a lot less painful than the neurotoxin. -GLaDOS (Portal)
#5DarkLeague(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2011 7:14:18 PM
He uses a seemingly infinite amount of both hi potions and phoenix downs, but it looks like I'm playing the same version that you did. Maybe it's just that I've gotten screwed over with the RNG...5 times in a row...but there is only so much I can do by controlling only Ramza and watching as my moronic allies run away after every single attack when the only way to keep Lez from healing all the damage we've done is by keeping him in one spot. If he manages to run away, he heals 20 hp in addition to reviving an ally who usually attacks right away, and which all of my guests prioritize over Lez. It doesn't help that they all waste 100% of their MP on the archers/chemist before we even start attacking Lezares.
#6ArchaelN7Posted 2/4/2011 8:00:36 PM
I doubt anything else in 1.3 could come close to being so frustrating, so I think I'll pass on the Easytype.

If you seriously think that about FIRST battle in 1.3 prepare to be proven wrong in an incredible jaw dropping fashion.

The first battle in 1.3 is not hard. In fact, it's probably 1% the difficulty of whats about to come.

You're simply not as good at these game mechanics as you thought you were.
---
http://www.insanedifficulty.com
#7philsovPosted 2/4/2011 8:04:46 PM
The first battle in 1.3 is not hard. In fact, it's probably 1% the difficulty of whats about to come.

You played it since the archer changes? It's been ramped up some.
---
...And the pain was enough to make a shy, bald Bhuddist reflect and plan a mass murder.
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=3952.0
#8ArchaelN7Posted 2/4/2011 8:10:59 PM
Of course!

Repeat:

---
http://www.insanedifficulty.com
#9OtaboPosted 2/4/2011 9:43:08 PM

This.

Wait, isn't his secondary random? Or is it forced Item? I honestly forgot.
Couldn't he just reset until he doesn't bring Item? If the former is the case...
If it's the latter, then nevermind. Reset until he doesn't bring Hi-Potion.
---
VeghEsther = The True Broken Record of GameFAQs.
My Channel: http://www.youtube.com/Beastly242
#10DarkLeague(Topic Creator)Posted 2/4/2011 9:50:44 PM
I never assumed that the rest of the game wouldn't be challenging, but I'd much prefer getting my own ass kicked by the AI rather than watching the same be done to the guests' AI. I mean, really, it took me about 5 seconds to beat the intro battle in vanilla and probably wouldn't have been much harder in 1.3 if I had actually been able to control the characters instead of watching them make the most ridiculous mistake imaginable. I entirely expect to get a whooping as I progress further.

And I'm pretty sure Lez always has Item as secondary, unless I just got really unlucky. The hi-potions were just plain unfair, considering it healed him for more damage than he could possibly take from everyone wailing on him, and he certainly had nothing against spamming.