This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Difference between added effect and elemental materia?

#1EricOwnsY_basicPosted 1/25/2008 9:26:24 PM
What is the difference between added effect materia and elemental materia.. the descriptions seem the same to me?
#2SteveO 528Posted 1/25/2008 9:33:27 PM
Elemental is for...elements, and Added Effect is for status effects.
---
"Brush away those tears underneath your mask!"
Segata Sanshiro...gone, but not forgotten.
#3EricOwnsY_basic(Topic Creator)Posted 1/26/2008 9:07:51 AM
i still dont understand... elements such as fire, ice, bolt, etc,, and status effects such as fury, sadness, posoin, and stuff? how do i determine what status effect materia has effect with added effect materia? thanks!
#4_PhoenixLord_Posted 1/26/2008 9:11:39 AM
They work the same.
---
"Now's the time to be alive--to see it all happen, to be a part of it. That makes the blood race and each step is an adventure!"
#5Tyrant_WavePosted 1/26/2008 9:12:15 AM
Elemental:
In Weapon:
Adds element of linked materia to your attack. (I.e, Link with Fire materia makes attack Fire elemental)
In Armour:
Adds element of linked materia to your defence.
Lvl 1: Half
Lvl 2: Null
Lvl 3: Absorb.

Added Effect
In Weapon
When linked to a materia that has a status effect (Hades, Poison, blind etc) it will add those status effects to your attack. Linking Death works nicely.
In Armour:
Like in weapon, but instead defends against the status effects.
---
For all your FFVII WEAPON needs: http://thebrink.us/weapons.txt
thetrueoskar - *jaw drops* You... They... OH MY ****ING GOD!
#6SolidKnightPosted 1/26/2008 9:18:42 AM
Elements have opposites. If you use fire against ice it does more damage. Status effects do not. There is no counter-status for sleep.
#7OvenManPosted 1/26/2008 9:23:02 AM
To clarify:

Lvl 1: Half
Lvl 2: Null
Lvl 3: Absorb.

"Lvl" refers to the level of the Elemental materia, not the materia linked to it.
---
Petition: Sort your posted messages: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=7&topic=33865194
#8Jiyuu FalconPosted 1/26/2008 6:16:41 PM
And the materia's element is the one in the yellow font under the materia name. Usually, this matches the materia's spells, but it's not the case for Choco/Mog and Typoon. If there's nothing in yellow font, then the materia is non-elemental, and linking Elemental to it will do nothing... supposedly, anyway.
#9Tyrant_WavePosted 1/26/2008 7:48:39 PM
Linking Ultima to Elemental however will protect you from the "Hidden" element, of which only 1 attack in the game is based, and IIRC doesn't do damage anyway, just inflicts statuses.
---
For all your FFVII WEAPON needs: http://thebrink.us/weapons.txt
thetrueoskar - *jaw drops* You... They... OH MY ****ING GOD!
#10Jiyuu FalconPosted 1/26/2008 7:59:13 PM
*cough* Ultima Beam *cough*

And it doesn't have to be the Ultima materia. It can be Restore, Steal or even HP Plus. Basically, any materia that doesn't have an element and is not blue.

Hmm... Never tested it with a weapon, though. Can you heal your characters that way?