This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can you NOT Counter with double cut?

#1markd23Posted 3/2/2008 9:29:57 PM
I have the Counter materia (not to be mistaken for Counter-Attack) combined with Double Cut. Both are mastered and equipped on Cid. He has not once countered with 4x cut though, so I'm beginning to think that this isn't a possible materia combination...

Also, while I'm posting I have another question. All 3 of my characters (Cloud, Barret and Cid) are lvl. 99. Cloud and Cid do 9999 dmg when I attack, but Barret only does about 2000-3000. All 3 have there Ultimate Weapons equipped (Ultima Weapon, Missing Score, Venus Gospel). Any insights as to why Barret does so little damage?
---
Currently Playing:
| Final Fantasy VII (3rd playthrough) | GTA: SA (2nd playthrough) |
#21whoistornapartPosted 3/2/2008 9:49:04 PM
Counter only works with the materia that form a Master Command: Sense, Steal, Throw, Manipulate, Deathblow, Morph and Mime.

Double-Cut, Slash-All, Enemy Skill and any of the W-Materia will not work with Counter (or any other blue materia for that matter.)

Barret's Ultimate Weapon modifier is based on how much AP is gained on the materia equipped in the weapon, so put a bunch of mastered summons on there to boost the damage.
---
How about the power to kill a yak... from 200 yards away...
With MIND BULLETS!!
#3phiefer3Posted 3/3/2008 11:57:54 AM
^Also, that goes for all support materia, not just counter.

Support materia does not link direction with the aforementioned command materia. However, if you link a support materia with Master Cmd, and have one of those materia equipped, then it will work with them (because linking master cmd with a support materia applies the support materia to all commands even those not granted by master cmd).

Although with a support materia with a random nature such as counter (or sneak attack/final attack) being linked to Master Cmd will just cause a random common to be used, so it still wouldn't be the best combination.
---
[/rant]
#41337ozPWNSTEAKPosted 3/3/2008 12:47:40 PM
Just to supplement the above post, you can stack Master Command materia with other support materia (such as HP/MP Absorb, Added Cut and Steal as Well) to get the desired effect on commands that replace the default attack command. You can then use attacks like 2xCut, Slash-All, etc. to get the support effect(s).

One of my coworkers brings his PSP to work some times, and I have to admit that his setup impressed me. He set up as follows:

Master Command=HP Absorb, Master Command=MP Absorb, Master Command=Added Cut, Master Command=Steal as Well, Counter=Deathblow, Mega-All

The results were pretty devastating. You could also ditch the Mega-All for a mastered Double Cut materia, and get ALL the above support effects on each 4xCut, effectively healing your character each time he/she attacks.
---
I was Ignignoc in a former life...
http://gt4fox.proboards100.com/index.cgi? - For great justice.
#51whoistornapartPosted 3/3/2008 1:06:53 PM
Well I already mentioned the fact that no support materia will work with them. :P

Actually, Counter is one of the support Materia that behaves properly when linked to Master Command, along with Sneak Attack and Final Attack. It will select a command at random from the seven normally granted by it Steal, Deathblow etc.). The exception is Throw/Coin. Master Command is considered to grant the Coin ability, not Throw, but it will never use Coin as a counter and will use Throw instead. Linking Counter to Master Command is not a good idea as you might end up chucking a valuable weapon against your will :P But anyway, the point is that there is no way to ever Counter with 4x-Cut (unless you hack the game code to allow it.)

HP/MP Absorb, Added Cut and Steal as Well are the only support materia that give the effect to all commands (but to nitpick, Limit and Throw are not affected by the linkage).

There's another unusual property of Counter/Sneak/Final Attack, and it applies to Throw/Coin and Steal/Mug. If you put a 1-star Steal and a 2-Star Steal on the same character and link one of them to Counter/Sneak/Final it will counter twice, first with Steal and then with Mug. This does take up two of the eight maximum counter effects a character can have though. Not that anyone asked <_<
---
With MIND BULLETS!!
#6phiefer3Posted 3/3/2008 9:37:36 PM
HP/MP Absorb, Added Cut and Steal as Well are the only support materia that give the effect to all commands (but to nitpick, Limit and Throw are not affected by the linkage).

Even if you had a level 1 throw materia equipped as well it wouldn't gain the support either? I thought having an additional source for throw (and steal) would allow them to be counted as part of master cmd?
---
[/rant]
#71whoistornapartPosted 3/3/2008 11:56:06 PM
It would, but only if you have another source for throw on the same character, just linking it to Master Command alone won't do it.
---
With MIND BULLETS!!
#81337ozPWNSTEAKPosted 3/4/2008 10:26:19 AM
Off the topic of double cut, but in the same vein, if you have multiple mastered Steal materia, pair them (on a single character) with support materia like Added Cut, Steal as Well, HP/MP Absorbs and Command Counter, and you'll wind up countering with an attempt at a rather violent gank. Quite lol-worthy, actually...
---
I was Ignignoc in a former life...
http://gt4fox.proboards100.com/index.cgi? - For great justice.
#9phiefer3Posted 3/4/2008 10:26:23 AM
Ok, when I first read that, I thought you were saying that Limit and Throw were completely exempt from it, which didn't make sense to me (well it made sense for limit, but not throw).
---
[/rant]