This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you pronounce Cait Sith?

#1Taski897Posted 6/21/2008 11:57:43 PM
I've been pronouncing it like 'Kate Sith' but someone told me that was wrong.

What's the correct way?
---
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9104/rickastleyiw4.jpg
#2_Zanarkand_Posted 6/22/2008 12:01:50 AM
I pronounce it the same way, though I've never pronounced it in my life, only in my head anyway.
#3Then00bAvengerPosted 6/22/2008 12:20:22 AM
Ket Shee

That's how the manual says to anyway...
---
This story is not an end yet.
Because only you are in the infinity loop.
#4SpurlockPosted 6/22/2008 1:10:36 AM
For me its "Kate Sith" as well.

My pronunciation of weird names sucks tho, so its probably wrong.

---
In the space of an hour a single virus has invaded, multiplied and killed the cell....
#5RajamicPosted 6/22/2008 2:07:40 AM
The name comes from Gaelic, which has very odd pronunciations of almost everything. Cait would be pronounced somewhere between "Ket" and the English word "Kite" and means 'cat', while Sith is pronounced "Shee" meaning 'demon' (and is the origin of the end of the term banshee).
#6HeatherloverPosted 6/22/2008 4:00:30 AM
Kite Sith
---
PS1,PS2,PS3,PSP and Nokia N95 Owner
www.codemasters-project.net/vb --> CB,GS,AR Codes
#7AdelbertSteinerPosted 6/22/2008 8:23:05 AM
I say it how it sounds.

Kate - Sith
---
PSN: HashmanZ
#8donutbandit0Posted 6/22/2008 10:17:06 AM
This has been talked about here before.

Kie-shee.

---
Sure is easy to tell that school is out, isn't it? Look at all the new idiot topics popping up.
#9OvenManPosted 6/22/2008 10:20:53 AM
^That's probably the correct way to do it, but I still stick to "Kate Sith". as that's simply how I started pronouncing it when I didn't know any better, and why change now, right?
---
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"
#10PirateQueenEttaPosted 6/22/2008 11:31:50 AM
The name comes from Gaelic, which has very odd pronunciations of almost everything. Cait would be pronounced somewhere between "Ket" and the English word "Kite" and means 'cat', while Sith is pronounced "Shee" meaning 'demon' (and is the origin of the end of the term banshee).

I'm Irish and a Gaelic speaker and you're right about the Cait bit. And the odd pronunciation. I think somebody once said Gaelic is spoken in such a way to make any non speaker speaking it sound like an idiot. But 'Shee' or Sidhe to give it's correct Gaelic spelling means fairy, not demon which is usually referred to as a pooka or pouka. The the Sidhe were a powerful, mythical race of legend who had an a great affinity with nature. The term banshee (Ban an Sidhe) literally means 'Woman of the Fairies.'
---
The secret for success is to dress British, look Irish and think Jewish