This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

chocobo breeding (Absolute Steve's FAQ)

#1Kaelys9Posted 4/21/2009 1:21:03 PM
Ok so I'm following Absolute Steve's guide on "quick guide to breeding a gold chocobo." I am having a little trouble it seems. To start off, I caught one of each gender of the Great and good birds, at mideel and gold saucer area. Now, I fed each one 10 sylkis greens and won the chocobo race (short track) 3 times with each one. This got EACH chocobo up to rank B and now I am trying to breed them, still according to the guide. However, it seems I can only get white chocobos, I cannot get green and blue, following the guide exactly. What am I doing wrong?
---
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy VII
Up next: Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy X
#2diamond weaponPosted 4/21/2009 1:26:58 PM
it seems I can only get white chocobos

*is puzzled*

You just need to breed one Good or Great chocobo with any other Chocobo. You must feed it a Carob Nut. The other chocobo's type (good, awful) does not matter. The chocobo's rank is not strictly necessary, though the higher the rank, the higher your chance is of a successful breeding.

---
You don't have to be Awesome to have Common Sense and Foresight
Rule #59: I will never build a sentient computer smarter than I am
#3Kaelys9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2009 1:47:24 PM
well im partially color blind, and i may be wrong..but the chocobo i keep getting looks white it could be a very bright blue. is the blue an obvious blue?
---
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy VII
Up next: Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy X
#4ragnarokiusPosted 4/21/2009 1:51:14 PM
You should be able to do a Google image search and find a picture of the varying chocobo colors and compare them that way, so you are sure you have your colors right.
---
---
---
#5Kaelys9(Topic Creator)Posted 4/21/2009 2:12:53 PM
do white chocobos even exist? Maybe the blue chocobos are just bright blue and they look white to me cuz I'm a bit color blind.
---
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy VII
Up next: Final Fantasy VIII or Final Fantasy X
#6thetrueoskarPosted 4/21/2009 2:14:08 PM
I know, dude.

I can't tell the difference between my green and red chocobos.
#7gmo7897Posted 4/21/2009 2:16:19 PM
You can also take the chocobo out of the stables and ride it. If you can run over water (or is it only shallow water ... it's been a while) then it is blue. I had to do this the first time I played the game because I was playing on a B&W TV.
---
This has been an opinion. This was only an opinion. If it were not an opinion, you probably wouldn't have cared anyway. Oh *** BEEEEEEP ***
#8phiefer3Posted 4/22/2009 8:16:34 AM
You just need to breed one Good or Great chocobo with any other Chocobo. You must feed it a Carob Nut. The other chocobo's type (good, awful) does not matter. The chocobo's rank is not strictly necessary, though the higher the rank, the higher your chance is of a successful breeding.

Several mistakes here. The other chocobo's type DOES matter. If you breed a good/great with a non good/great there's only a 25% chance that the game will ignore the 2nd parent and try to let you get a blue/green. Also, ranks themselves are entirely irrelevant. The total number of wins between the parents is what matters.

(below chances assume you're using a carob nut)

4+ wins and you have a 50% chance blue and 50% chance green, 0% chance anything else.

3- wins and you have about a 27% chance blue, 27% chance green, and 46% chance yellow.

Again, those 2 sets of odds assume that both parents are good or great (in any combination).

If only one is good/great AND you pick it first, there's a 25% chance that the game will use the above odds anyways, and a 75% chance that you'll just get one of the colors of the parents.
---
[/rant]
When Bill Gates invented the Internet he created Ctrl+F for a reason.
#9FarkerAbaPosted 4/22/2009 10:48:10 AM
The blue chocobo is kind of a sky blue, so it'd be easily mistaken for white if you're color blind. I'd be willing to venture that the green chocobo is darker than the blue.
#10FrogstirPosted 4/22/2009 12:17:55 PM
No, both the green and blue chocobos are pale in colour.. like the light yellow the normal chocobos are. The black and gold are more distinctive, as they seem to have almost a shimmer to them, if that makes sense.. and the Gold chocobo is a much darker yellow than a normal chocobo.

---
"It's better than freezing to death." - Auron FF X