This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you pronounce Mako?

#1TsunamiRoarPosted 8/15/2009 2:13:43 PM
For my entire life, I've pronounced it "May-ko"

But I was reading a comic with a character named Makoto, and is shortened to Mako...if that's the case...is it pronounced "Mah-ko"?

Okay, sorry if this is a stupid question, but an answer would be appreciated.
---
Most anticipated scene if they ever remake FFVII, Yuffie kissing Cloud.
#2fusespliffPosted 8/15/2009 2:16:21 PM
I always pronounced "Mah-ko" as well. But that's mostly because in my native language we pronounce the "A" like that all the time.
---
Is that a hobbit?...No,that's a hobo and a rabbit..............but they're making a hobbit.
#3swiftboltersPosted 8/15/2009 2:20:54 PM
I always thought it was Maaa - Ko (if this makes any sense) sort of underlining it's inherent power by a drawn out pronunciation
#4Sefirosu200xPosted 8/15/2009 2:47:56 PM
Up until DoC, I pronounced like the shark, "May-ko", but in DoC they revealed that it's in fact "Mah-ko", so I go with that now.

---
Most life changing video ever - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqAsU2C20I&feature=channel_page
#5Jiyuu FalconPosted 8/15/2009 2:57:34 PM
Mah-ko. In the japanese version, it's actually written in kanji (actually, I believe you can also see this somewhere in the US version, maybe the vehicle demo inside Shin-Ra Bldg.?), so I assume it's an actual Japanese word.

PS: the "Mako" in Mako Shark is also pronounced mah-ko.
#6reno385Posted 8/15/2009 3:18:23 PM
It's mah-ko, if it was pronounced may-ko it would be spelled meiko. But I like the may-ko pronunciation better.
---
If you had told me 5 years ago that I could play Spyro the dragon and Final Fantasy 7 while on the toilet, I'd have said you were mad. And then god gave us PSP.
#7TsunamiRoar(Topic Creator)Posted 8/15/2009 3:20:51 PM
Mah-ko...that just seems weird...Oh well, time for the self induced brain-washing.
---
Most anticipated scene if they ever remake FFVII, Yuffie kissing Cloud.
#8markaudette28Posted 8/15/2009 4:01:52 PM
Right. Like everyone else said, it's pronounced Mah-ko. Or Mock-oh.

Ever since 1997, I also pronounced it May-ko up until I bought Final Fantasy XII and watched the "History of Final Fantasy" video. The narrator pronounced it "Mah-ko", which surprised me.

What else surprised me is Bastok is pronounced Bas-took and not Bass-tock.

Bahamut was pronounced Baha-moot.

Hmm.
#9fusespliffPosted 8/15/2009 4:06:28 PM
Seems so far, i am the only one who has always pronounced it Mah-ko.

Bahamut was pronounced Baha-moot.

How else would you pronounce it?
---
Is that a hobbit?...No,that's a hobo and a rabbit..............but they're making a hobbit.
#10zarathustra47Posted 8/15/2009 4:47:27 PM
Seems so far, i am the only one who has always pronounced it Mah-ko.

I assure you, you're not.