This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sneak Attack materia

#1thiswasnttakenPosted 6/9/2012 5:00:41 PM
Hi, guys. I've been replaying FF7 and am near a master save file. However, I'm stuck and am pretty frustrated at trying to win the Sneak Attack materia from the chocobo races. I never, ever bet on the races -- I always race them myself. I have two A-rank chocobos (one wonderful yellow, one black) and an S-rank gold chocobo. I've tried everything I can think of to increase my chances of at least SEEING the Sneak Attack materia on the racing prize window. I've manually raced/won with one chocobo for hours. I've manually lost with one (as I've seen on some boards that losing may make the item appear more frequently) for hours. I've alternated between racing my A-rank and S-rank chocobos, both winning and losing. No go.

This really is leaving a sour taste in my mouth and is absolutely ruining an otherwise fantastic game. Does anyone know of any tips or variables -- any -- to at least possibly force this item to appear more often?

One final note in this post: I came across a YouTube video a few hours ago wherein the submitter claimed that equipping your racer with the Precious Watch may boost your chances of winning whatever the "rare" prize is when you race. I equipped Cloud with the Precious Watch, and coincidence or not, the Sneak Attack materia appeared. Unfortunately, when I won the race, I won some BS prize instead. Since then, I haven't seen the Sneak Attack materia pop up. I had really hoped that would help, but I guess it was just a coincidence.
#2XanderRingePosted 6/9/2012 5:14:33 PM
I was going through this recently myself. All you can really do is what you've been doing. Just keep racing until it pops up and hope it's what you win.

I had the problem with Teioh screwing me out of it. Every time it popped up, so did Teioh. Even though I could beat him, I could never win the prize.

Just keep racing until you get it. Not much you can do.
---
The fruits of our labors can be the sweetest or the most spoiled we've ever tasted.
XBox gamertag: ColbytheLateOne
#3thiswasnttaken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2012 5:53:19 PM
Meh, I was afraid of that. Thank you for the confirmation, at least.

Do you remember the details of the time you finally won the Sneak Attack? Like if you were racing an A-rank or S-rank chocobo, had done nothing but won consecutively, or mixed in some losses, et al?
#4XanderRingePosted 6/9/2012 7:03:11 PM
I rarely ever lost. I had seven perfect gold Chocobos that I would occasionally switch out, all S class. But that stuff really doesn't matter.

The only thing that matters is that the Chocobo you race has to be at least A class to have the item pop up and they have to be good enough to win.

Honestly, nothing else matters. It's completely random as far as anyone knows. (It is assumed the RNG may work here similar to breeding Chocobos, but no one has ever tested for it.)

Really all you can do is keep racing and hope for the best of luck.
---
The fruits of our labors can be the sweetest or the most spoiled we've ever tasted.
#5thiswasnttaken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2012 7:20:20 PM
XanderRinge posted...
Really all you can do is keep racing and hope for the best of luck.

Yeah. I've resigned myself to that fate. By the way, inbetween races, I've been catching up on posts here and noticed you made a similar topic back in, I believe, May. I'm having the same problems with that douchebag Joe taking up the winning slots. Do you remember (roughly) how long it took before you finally won it, and whether or not Joe raced?
#6thiswasnttaken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2012 7:57:14 PM
Here's the YouTube link I mentioned earlier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVF2CnfAL0s

Any additional insight/commentary would be appreciated. Thanks to those who have replied thus far. Sorry if I seem like I'm egging on, but I'm trying to get this perfect file completed before the end of June (long story) and time's running out.
#7Moomba33Posted 6/9/2012 10:02:51 PM(edited)
I think the longest it has ever taken me to get it was around 6 hours.
I never lost, and was always in S class with my Gold Chocobo.
I can't remember if Teioh was in this race though.
---
"Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon!" -Pinkie Pie
#8XanderRingePosted 6/10/2012 4:34:10 AM
Uh, that last one was I think roughly two to three hours. Can't remember for sure. I know I posted that topic at least two to three hours in, and if I am not mistaken, got it within the next hour.

I want to say Teioh was in the race, but can't say for 100% certainty.

That was when I was actually vying for it, meaning not including raising the Chocobos and gaining S rank with all of them. It was somewhere between two and four hours of nonstop racing with a bunch of S classes solely for the purpose of Sneak Attack.
---
#9shadow666Posted 6/10/2012 4:37:00 AM
Don't remember the math, but the chance of getting Sneak Attack from a win is about 1 in 60.
---
"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid" ~ Soren Aabye Kierkegaard
#10King_Shortt_IXPosted 6/10/2012 6:48:44 AM
The best way is to keep at it,and might as well stockpile on other items and GP while going after sneak attack.
---
The contents of this post may not reflect the views of the poster.