This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

My Underwater Materia is gone... NOOOOO!!!

#1catXsaysXmooPosted 3/20/2013 11:19:59 AM
I was trying for a (more or less) perfect game. I don't particularly care to get 99 of everything, but I would like to have 1 of everything.

While farming sources using the w-item glitch, I was shuffling people's materia and equipment around, to make sure that my base stats without the equipment was all 255. I'd been AP grinding earlier, and making lots of Magic Counter materia for Barret's Missing Score (just because, and I had like 2 or 3 to level at a time as opposed to a single KotR). I also made a lot of Counterattack materias (because having 8 on a character is freaking awesome) and several Final Attack and Revive materias (to set up a chain of them on Yuffie to facilitate using the W-item glitch against a single enemy during source farming).

I swapped a person's Wizard Bracelet for a Bronze armlet. My materia inventory filled up. Evidently someone had the Underwater Materia equipped at the time, because it seems to have vanished into digital nothingness.

I feel so stupid. The only reason it was even equipped was because I wanted to take Ruby and Emerald before I abused any glitches this time playing through the game. I must have forgotten to remove it before maxing everything. I think I saved before the Weapon fights, but not after (since I would rather be able to kill them over and over than get a pointless gold chocobo or a set of master materia, which I can make without too much trouble).

Unfortunately, not realizing that my Underwater Materia disappeared during my source farming, I have since saved over both my current file and my backup file.

And to further rub salt in the wound, I only started this file because I missed the Umbrella on my other awesome file. All characters Level 99. 3 Mystiles. 3 Zeidrichs. A Flayer and and Umbrella. All 4 Enemy Skill Materias, fully mastered. Around 95 hours of gameplay. And now no underwater materia.

Damn it all to hell.

(Hangs head in shame and frustration).
---
Signed, the man with no signature.
#2more_cow_bellPosted 3/20/2013 11:26:32 AM
seems a perfect game just isn't in the cards for you
---
My beacon's been moved under moon and star
#3S_o_i_g_g_ePosted 3/20/2013 12:04:53 PM
I feel you bro. One of my characters once went 7777 insane on a Magic Pot, and it stole one of my Ziedriches! I wasn't able to get it back....

Kinda off topic thing... Did you know that you can pretty easily get 99 Ziedriches :D ?
Check this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjsiDpM1e6s
---
-- Your Guide to Final Fantasy --
http://www.youtube.com/user/soigge
#4catXsaysXmoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 12:54:35 PM
Stupid, glitchy ... (insert string of profanity here) ... game.

I even removed Aerith's Princess Guard before finishing the Temple of the Ancients. I also W-item glitched about 90 Circlets from Ultima Weapon before it flew away (I'm too lazy to get the rest from Snow).

Come to think of it, you do get W-item right before the chance to fight Reno, Rude, and Elena. I guess you could equip any existing Zeidrichs, Touph Rings, or Minerva Bands, then just W-item 99 of them. Or have an enemy steal one, then W-item duplicate it when it is returned to your inventory upon killing the enemy.

This game has so many examples of bugs, glitches, and poor programming. It's spectacular, but ... ugh. I guess this is what I get for relying on glitches to max my stats. Truly a double-edged sword.
---
#5manmousePosted 3/20/2013 1:11:42 PM
catXsaysXmoo posted...
Stupid, glitchy ... (insert string of profanity here) ... game.

I even removed Aerith's Princess Guard before finishing the Temple of the Ancients. I also W-item glitched about 90 Circlets from Ultima Weapon before it flew away (I'm too lazy to get the rest from Snow).

Come to think of it, you do get W-item right before the chance to fight Reno, Rude, and Elena. I guess you could equip any existing Zeidrichs, Touph Rings, or Minerva Bands, then just W-item 99 of them. Or have an enemy steal one, then W-item duplicate it when it is returned to your inventory upon killing the enemy.

This game has so many examples of bugs, glitches, and poor programming. It's spectacular, but ... ugh. I guess this is what I get for relying on glitches to max my stats. Truly a double-edged sword.

you realize that you chose to abuse the glitch right? this stuff doesn't happen to people who don't. it's for sure a glitchy game, but it plays more smoothly when you don't break it.

plus, that's a pretty imperfect way of getting a perfect game. i generally can't sympathize with the perfectionist mindset some people have when they need to collect everything and hoard, but it's really really hard for me to understand a perfectionist who wants the quickest easiest way to the goal.
#6catXsaysXmoo(Topic Creator)Posted 3/20/2013 4:04:05 PM
manmouse posted...
you realize that you chose to abuse the glitch right? this stuff doesn't happen to people who don't. it's for sure a glitchy game, but it plays more smoothly when you don't break it.

plus, that's a pretty imperfect way of getting a perfect game. i generally can't sympathize with the perfectionist mindset some people have when they need to collect everything and hoard, but it's really really hard for me to understand a perfectionist who wants the quickest easiest way to the goal.

Yeah, I get your point about how taking shortcuts to perfection isn't really perfection. I guess I wasn't going for a "perfect" file, but rather an imitation, "perfect at a glance" file (one with all 8 endgame characters at Level 99, max all 6 stats, and have at least 1 of everything in my inventory, don't bother with getting max base HP or MP). This time I was also shooting to beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon before I'd abused any glitches at all.

I'll take a shortcut if all it really does is save me time. If I can demonstrate to myself that I can steal multiple Reflect Rings from Ultima(te) Weapon, I'll just save myself the trouble of finding and fighting it in multiple battles and just W-item the dang thing. Same applies to stealing Elixirs from Gighees and Master Tonberries: do it a few times, then W-item the rest.

I guess my mentality for glitches in this game is sort of like doing math homework. Learn how to do all your addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, etc. And then use a calculator in the future to save yourself time.

What happened to me was less of a glitch and more of an oversight in the game's programming (What happens to equipped materia if a new piece of equipment doesn't have enough slots and your inventory is full? It gets deleted). I'm pretty sure it still would have happened if I'd been playing strictly by the books, but I was earning so much AP from Magic Pots (which I killed thanks to all my elixirs) that I hit this point about a hundred hours sooner than otherwise.

With regard to my definition of a "perfect" save file in other games, I got at least one of every piece of equipment in FF XII, as well as the clan rank "Order of Ambrosia," but I will never manipulate the RNG to get 99 Zodiac Spears. And I earned that stupid "Ultimate Hero" trophy in Final Fantasy XIII.
---