This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

This game is great.... until... (spoilers)

#1trenkenPosted 1/29/2010 11:35:59 AM
You get to the freaking orphanage flashbacks. It's so ridiculous that these kids lived together, then got split apart, then end up back together only like 15 years later, and dont remember each other.

Then they use GFs as an excuse for their loss of memory. Could that story twist have been any worse? The game is pretty damn good until then, and within a 10 minute span it goes from great to the worst FF story ever.

Of course Cid being married to a beautiful witch doesnt help my feelings on this awful story either.

Great game otherwise though, I like the gameplay and the design a lot.
#2highheat916Posted 1/29/2010 12:15:59 PM
What a TWIST!

I actually liked it how it was all set up that they were all orphans, it gave me goosebumps and an eerie feeling. I think they probabaly could have thought of a much worst plot twist. *cough cough* final fantasy x
#3highheat916Posted 1/29/2010 12:16:20 PM
*probably
#4GenmaXLPosted 1/29/2010 12:20:45 PM
It may be a little stupid, but it doesn't ruin the story of this game for me.

To me, the relationship of Squall and Rinoa is the real meat of the story, particularly the development of Squall. He's probably of the best characters Square has ever created. He's interesting and well-developed.
#5trenken(Topic Creator)Posted 1/29/2010 12:21:59 PM
I dont know, I thought it was so corny.

"Hey, was that you shooting fireworks?"
"Yeah that was me!!!!"

"Hey, was that you kicking that soccer ball?" (that he somehow remembered after 15 years)
"Amazing, that was me!!!"

And what a strange coincidence that they all end up together so many years later. I get its a JRPG so the story is supposed to be very far fetched, but that whole thing was so silly.
#6GM_Posted 1/29/2010 12:25:22 PM
@GenmaXL

What relationship? The entire game Squall was his Lone emo boy self giving her the cold shoulder.

Rinoa: MAKE LOVE TO ME SQUALL!

Squall: ....Whatever....
#7GenmaXLPosted 1/29/2010 12:41:07 PM
"What relationship? The entire game Squall was his Lone emo boy self giving her the cold shoulder.

Rinoa: MAKE LOVE TO ME SQUALL!

Squall: ....Whatever...."

That's how "teen love" is though. It's idiotic and convoluted. He starts out giving her the cold shoulder because he's afraid to get too close to others. He doesn't want to lose those he loves, like he lost Ellone.

But after Rinoa is put into that coma, he realized that he doesn't want to lose her either way, and realizes that he has to take responsibility and face his inner emotions. Or something like that.

They have some cute moments, but it's not like you could expect them to have the same type of love that happens between mature adults. There still young, so I thought Square did a good job given the ages of the characters.
#8mr369248Posted 1/29/2010 1:18:07 PM
Their "teenage love" felt more like bad fanfiction w/ cliche personalities for characters. Hell, they did much better w/ Laguna and Julia and Raine and Laguna.
#9GenmaXLPosted 1/29/2010 1:23:26 PM
Laguna and Julia are adults, so what do you expect?

As far the bad fan fiction comment, it isn't quite that bad. They act just like they're suppose to, teenagers.
#10overlordofemoPosted 1/29/2010 1:53:24 PM
And what a strange coincidence that they all end up together so many years later. I get its a JRPG so the story is supposed to be very far fetched, but that whole thing was so silly.

Have you ever, um, played a Final Fantasy game before? This is far from the worst coincidental meeting up in the Final Fantasy series. Half of the others aren't even explained, it's just there. Be grateful that we got something, as silly as it is.
---
Greatest story ever: The entire universe comes crashing down because a nerd got horny.