This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain what Vit, Spr and Luck do?

#1Akira_259Posted 3/13/2010 1:02:50 PM
I'm just starting playing FF8 again, and I've never quite gotten what spr or vit do, luck might have to do with crits, maybe vit increases your hp per level? iunno, could someone explain what they do?
---
God touched me last night, he gave me his soul, can I sue for sexual harassment?
#2Fallacia(Moderator)Posted 3/13/2010 1:27:02 PM
Vit - This is your physical defense. The higher your vitality, the less damage you will take from physical-based attacks. This is an important stat that is easy to raise through junctions. Meltdown (the best Vit junction) and Regen (another good junction) are available very early into the game, so you could have really good vitality before ever leaving for Timber. This stat should even take priority over your HP junction. No matter how much HP you have, it doesn't do you any good when enemies take it all away in one attack. Even when you do survive, taking a lot of damage because of a poor Vit junction means wasting healing spells or items.

Spr - This is your magical defense. The higher your Spr, the less damage you'll take from magic-based attacks. There are also good junctions for this available relatively early, like the Curaga spell. Reflect, available early Disc 2, is the best junction you'll get for this stat. This doesn't really have as much priority as Vit since most of the attacks you'll have to worry about for a good majority of the game will be physical damage. By the time you have to worry about hard-hitting magical attacks, you'll have plenty of chances to get good magic for your Spr junction.

Luck - You are correct in your guess about this having to do with critical hits. The higher this stat is, the more likely your characters are to get critical attacks against enemies for double damage. The exceptions are regular attacks by gunblade users since you manually control their criticals with the trigger to do 1.5x damage with every attack. That makes that aspect of luck pretty pointless for Squall, but keep in mind that physical attacks aren't the only thing that can go critical, so they can still get some use out of it. Aside from critical hits, this is also used in the formula to decide whether a character evades an attack that can be evaded. If you have high luck, that also means you'll evade more often when an enemy attacks you. Another thing, though mostly a side-effect, is that critical attacks never miss, so higher chance to crit technically means that your characters will also hit enemies more often.
---
I am a man. The CIA is a cover.
#3Akira_259(Topic Creator)Posted 3/13/2010 1:48:18 PM
Ah, thanks a lot for explaining that, I just thought that they were useless stats, but clearly I was wrong
---
God touched me last night, he gave me his soul, can I sue for sexual harassment?
#4Ace_DefectivePosted 3/13/2010 2:46:09 PM
You lost the manual?
---
BANDIIIIT REBORUBA!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVCHCrp2r0&fmt=18
#5phiefer3Posted 3/13/2010 3:03:33 PM

Another thing, though mostly a side-effect, is that critical attacks never miss, so higher chance to crit technically means that your characters will also hit enemies more often.

Not quite accurate there Fallacia, though it's something that people seem to always say (about this and other games). Increased chance to crit does NOT mean decreased chance to miss. Because the game checks if the attack hits before it checks if it's a crit or not. So really it's more accurate to say that an increased chance to hit increases your chance to crit, but not the other way around.

However, it is worth pointing out that Luck is used not only to determine if you'll evade an attack, but also in the accuracy formula as well:

Step 1: Hit Determination

Hit% = (AttackerLuck / 2 + AttackerHit - TargetEva - TargetLuck)

Note: If AttackerHit equals 255, this step is skipped and the Attacker will always hit the target.

Step 2: Critical Determination

Critical% = (AttackerLuck + 1) / 256 * 100

Note: Skip this step if the attacker is Squall or Seifer. Instead of a chance to get a critical hit, they have their Trigger ability

Then step 3 is the damage calculation.

---
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/25/ninja.jpg
Everytime you see him, the phiefer's just so hype. He's dope on the board and he's magic on the mic. ~fidormula
#6Fallacia(Moderator)Posted 3/13/2010 3:18:16 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Phiefer. I probably should go through all of these formulas. There are probably a lot of things that have just been stated enough before the real information was available that I just assumed them to be true.

You lost the manual?

Out of the three copies (two for Playstation, one for PC) that I've had, I think I only have the manual for the PC version. Even that one is badly damaged. Though I've seen it within the last few months, I'm not even certain where that manual is. I could see someone losing theirs.
---
I am a man. The CIA is a cover.