This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So i'm new to FF8...

#21crunchy612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 5:17:00 AM
First paragraph's a joke. Quistis learned Fire Breath from the fang.

Energy Crystals, eh? Sounds important(and rare. >_>)
---
"I prefer 'Infiltrate them and sabotage from inside'." - Nykza
"It's like trading my Longsword for Flashbombs." -Ecc
#221337ozPWNSTEAKPosted 5/16/2012 6:30:38 AM
They are rare until late disc 3. Don't worry too much with collecting them. If you want to build the Lionheart weapon for Squall, go ahead and get 2 more Elnoyle cards so you'll have 10 Pulse Ammo. You can get 5 more from a sidequest at a place called Fisherman's Horizon some time in the middle of disc 2 (make sure you go everywhere and talk to everyone your first time there, won't spoil it), so you can have the requisite 12 Pulse Ammo.

Just don't go out of your way to do that, as it's more a novelty than a real "major" upgrade.
---
I was Ignignoc in a former life. Now, I have a PhDerp.
For Great Justice.
#23crunchy612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 7:00:58 AM
Whoa, so i just got lucky? :O
---
#24ChaosArbiterPosted 5/16/2012 7:20:35 AM
crunchy612 posted...
Quistis learned Fire Breath from the fang.

You wasted Flares for a Blue Magic ability that wasn't Degenerator/Mighty Guard/White Wind/Bad Breath/Shockwave Pulsar? Heretic.
---
Inside Burt Gummer is an Ork. The Ork is not trying to get out. It's damned happy to be there.
Hinamizawa: Where killing your friends is always the answer.
#25VeghEstherPosted 5/16/2012 7:40:12 AM(edited)
Energy Crystals can be used to make the Lionheart on disc 3 but Its still makable via level 30+ Elastiods mug 3x Laser Cannons and turn all 3 Cannons into 15x Pulse ammo (the lionheart only needs 12 Pulse ammo.)

Adamantines Level 30+ Adamatoises drop if you DON"T want to mod Minotaurs card (I kept it for TT playing.

All that's left are 4x Dragon Fang level 1 to 30 Grendels/T Rexes.

Besides I still prefer to DRAW all best spells over TT playing so once you get the Kiros Card via the Queen of Card quest you will have 3x Auto Haste users by the end of disc 1.

All the first good spells to draw can all be drawn after Auto Haste can be used.

As for farming that spider before blowing it up I still had Squall at level 15+ before getting enough Abyss Worm cards for 100 Tornado's set to his str.
#26crunchy612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/16/2012 7:45:01 AM(edited)
Hey, sue me. I <3 Quistis(mostly because she reminds me of Type-0's Seven), and the only guide i'm using is a list of which players play which card, as obtained by my friend from a FAQ here(or had himself all these years, dunno. >_>).

Edit: 30+? Just for Lionheart? hell naw. I'd rather wait.
---
#27VeghEstherPosted 5/16/2012 9:01:18 AM(edited)
Well take your pick level 30+ to mug Laser Cannons or take forever winning 20 Elnoyle cards to make it on a LLG.

In fact of the 20 Elnoyle cards I barely had +3 of them AFTER I stole the Laser Cannons to make it on disc 1. That and the cards are easier to get off fighting actually Elnoyles but they won't start to drop Energy Crystals 10 levels higher (level 40+) and are immune to level up.

Sure making it then is not required but I made it anyways since I could draw all the early best spells at the same 30+ levels + Auto Haste set at the same time and still 1 shot all or most story line boss's from Bros GF onwards even if Lionheart itself never triggers.
#281337ozPWNSTEAKPosted 5/16/2012 9:43:29 AM
OR, you could wait until late disc 3 when Energy Crystals become readily available to begin then, or get 1 crystal from the Elnoyle cards and the remaining 5 pulse ammo from the FH side quest, either of which will take far less time than grinding cards OR grinding levels.

Long story short, there's no real reason to get the Lionheart before the end of the game apart from saying "I got the Lionheart lolz." The STR boost is minimal, the accuracy is the same regardless and the finisher is unreliable at best. There is very little that this weapon can do that the others cannot. It's not worth the headache.

RE: 30+ I would suggest that you leave the levels alone for now. Unlike most other RPGs enemy levels scale with yours, and they get a LOT more from the levels than you ever will. Also, if you want to level, I would suggest that you wait until late disc 3 when a certain set of character abilities becomes available. Actually, there will be 2 sets: one complete from one GF and the other set from a collection of 5 different GF. These abilities will permanently boost each applicable stat by +1 every single time you level, in addition to the natural stat gains from each level.

I would not go particularly out of your way to avoid levels, as that can be overly tedious, but I would also suggest that you make as little effort as possible to grind for levels, as it is not terribly beneficial.

The key to enjoying the game is balancing. Balance the minutiae versus the tedium, thereby balancing the investment of time versus the returns in rewards. Getting the Lionheart on disc 1 or completing the game at Lv.7 are prime examples of bogging yourself down in the tedium. Just enjoy the game for what it is.
---
I was Ignignoc in a former life. Now, I have a PhDerp.
For Great Justice.
#29VeghEstherPosted 5/16/2012 9:52:20 AM
I mostly made it on disc 1 to prepair to pwn Tonberries way before those are actually fightable.

Yes I drew full Life off of a level 30+ Tonberry King while Lionhearting/Limit breaking the normal ones to death.
#30VeghEstherPosted 5/16/2012 9:53:53 AM
Well despite making lionheart on disc 1 via the mugged Laser Cannons I still had 3x level 100 PC's end of game with 9999 HP and 255 Str or Magic and that's all I needed to still pwn all disc 4 boss's in 1 to 2 turns save for Omega.