This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So i'm new to FF8...

#71CNashPosted 5/20/2012 8:00:18 AM
Yep, those are the ones - and it's just Heart and King remaining, you've already met the Queen. :) You won't be able to play Heart (and by extension, King) until you finish the events at FH.

I usually use magic for healing - either from a stock of Cura that I've saved, or Curaga - they're easy enough to refine if you're using them for junctions, and in fact I tend to keep extra stocks of them on the unused three party members just to refill my main three if I use any.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the kid from Balamb...

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#72Moomba33Posted 5/20/2012 8:44:53 AM
crunchy612 posted...

Oh, and i'm in FH, and this kid from Balamb won't come back to wherever he came from. >_> just says he's worried bout his parents(presumably in Balamb) and that's it. :/

He's the cafeteria lady's son.
She'll talk about him if you listen to her talk for a while, but you might have had to speak to her earlier in the game, I'm not sure now.
Anyway, if you had spoken to her Squall would recognize him and tell him to go back to Balamb Garden.
This event doesn't really do anything besides make the guy work in the cafeteria for the rest of the game, as far as I know.
---
"Oh, I never leave home without my party cannon!" -Pinkie Pie
#73DigitalDicePosted 5/20/2012 11:10:56 AM
What's going on in FH?
#74ChaosArbiterPosted 5/20/2012 11:49:39 AM
crunchy612 posted...
Edit: and should i stick to using magic for healing, or use items instead?

Your own preference, really. If you must use in-battle Healing, Items are probably easier, IMO.
---
Inside Burt Gummer is an Ork. The Ork is not trying to get out. It's damned happy to be there.
Hinamizawa: Where killing your friends is always the answer.
#75VeghEstherPosted 5/20/2012 5:22:37 PM
for healing none I prefer low HP + Limit breaks BEFORE Aura is drawable else elixers/mega elixers are very easy to get 100 each (Angelo/Bahamuts card) respectively.
#761337ozPWNSTEAKPosted 5/20/2012 8:03:28 PM
Items don't affect your junctions, so that is a plus, but unless you have been farming X-Potions from boss cards, they might not pull your fat out of the fire in a crunch. Item is very versatile, and it cannot be silenced, like magic. Magic is great, andit does not necessarily affect junctions, and it is easily refined. 10 Curaga may be refined from a single tent making one of the best healing spells cost a measly 75-100G, far cheaper even than Hi-Potions, with much more healing power. But, you may find yourself silenced and unable to use magic, which would have obvious repercussions. Third, there are a couple of command abilities which cost nothing more than a command slot and cannot be depleted or silenced. They are awesome, but wholly single-purpose.

There are options open to you. It really boils down to what suits you. Remember, you have three, but ONLY three command slots, so you could have both Item and Magic at the same time for the best balance.

Also, the VeghBot did actually provide some useful information in that last post. It recommends staying at low HP, so that Limits may be spammed, and that is actually very effective, but only if you want to kill, and thereby gain Exp. It is up to you to decide between limit-spam or healing, and then how to go about healing.
---
I was Ignignoc in a former life. Now, I have a PhDerp.
For Great Justice.
#77ChaosArbiterPosted 5/20/2012 10:08:42 PM
1337ozPWNSTEAK posted...
... unless you have been farming X-Potions from boss cards, they might not pull your fat out of the fire in a crunch.

Of course, later in the game when you can buy Mega-Potions and turn them into Elixirs, Item starts pulling ahead in terms of usefulness. Or if you just Modded Angelo for the 100 Elixirs.

Item is very versatile, and it cannot be silenced, like magic. Magic is great, andit does not necessarily affect junctions, and it is easily refined. 10 Curaga may be refined from a single tent making one of the best healing spells cost a measly 75-100G, far cheaper even than Hi-Potions, with much more healing power.

Although - particularly very early on if you haven't been or are unaware of powergaming - it's entirely possible that you don't have enough MAG to make curative magic worth casting. If you've only got 10 or so MAG and have to throw out a Cure because your only character with a decent MAG-J got taken out (or perhaps more relevantly, if you don't have any Life spells and need to revive someone), Item is more useful.

Third, there are a couple of command abilities which cost nothing more than a command slot and cannot be depleted or silenced. They are awesome, but wholly single-purpose.

Recover is the only one I've ever used, really. Treatment is hardly necessary even without powergaming, and by the time Revive comes around your Junctions should have picked up enough that barring OHKO effects, you shouldn't be dying.
---
Inside Burt Gummer is an Ork. The Ork is not trying to get out. It's damned happy to be there.
Hinamizawa: Where killing your friends is always the answer.
#78crunchy612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/20/2012 10:16:56 PM
Except those damn Tonberries. Apparently carding counts as kills, and seeing as i carded quite a few Fasticalon-Fs at the start..... >_>

Huh. I remember talking to the lady in the cafeteria, but Squall doesn't seem to recognize him. :/ a total of three talks from the young man: how he's chasing dreams and is from Balamb, how he's been cheated and attacked, and wondering how his family is. Squall doesn't say anything.

And as i'm stingy with magic and prefer just having em junctioned, items it is. Elixirs and X-Potions are plentiful in my stock, as are Phoenix Downs.

Man, disc 2 and things are finally starting to pick up. Wonder how Laguna stumbled into Shumi Village? How did Ellone get to Esthar? Why can the uber cute Moombas be fro
Shumis?!
---
"I prefer 'Infiltrate them and sabotage from inside'." - Nykza
"It's like trading my Longsword for Flashbombs." -Ecc
#79crunchy612(Topic Creator)Posted 5/21/2012 1:09:18 AM
Hey guys, i'm on disc 2 and i'm looking for some stuff:
4 Dragon Skins(i fought Grendels for these back in D1, when i was AP Grinding)
3 Energy Crystals(I've got 1 of em from farming for rare cards. Elnoyle cards at 6 right now)
1 Moon Stone(no idea)

Accdg to an impromptu list from my friend, these are all i lack for Quistis, Irvine and Zell's last weapons, and these three are my fave members, and either Irvine or Zell will be dropped in favor of the other when the time comes.

Also, Quistis was who i chose because i'm confident she'd learn White Wind(standard Blue Magic uber healing spell), and that'd be much more reliable than Selphie's Fullcure. So, none of my cards refines into an item that teaches it, so i assume it's a drop.

If White Wind is impossible, then i'll stick to Selphie and pray. >_> minimal spoilers btw, unless said spoiler was in Dissidia. Thanks!
---
"I prefer 'Infiltrate them and sabotage from inside'." - Nykza
"It's like trading my Longsword for Flashbombs." -Ecc
#80CNashPosted 5/21/2012 2:00:45 AM
For White Wind, you need a Whisper, which are dropped or mugged from Adamantoises. You can find those on Long Horn Island, which is the long, thin island to the extreme north of the Galbadia continent.

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.