This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Was the plot really that confusing? I liked it. Only on 1st disc. *SPOILERS*

#1DidymusicationPosted 6/1/2012 6:24:07 PM
**NOTE** SPOILERS **NOTE**

I made this post to resolve some confusions. I just started this game. I played it once before 10 years ago but I forgot about it. Now giving it a second chance I regret my forgetfulness.

(I have left out small details to save character space.)

I don't understand why people are confused by the plot. I thought it was fairly clear.

I think the plot is fairly easy to follow.

I haven't finished the game yet (still on the first disc) but so far I understand it along the line to give you a brief description of the events that take place.

In the beginning your mission is to go along and remove Galabaian forces which have occupied a city. The garden enlists a mercenary/diplomatic force called the SeeD (similar to the Jedi in which they act as diplomats and warriors and peace keepers.) They are assigned to occupy the city and drive out the Galabanian aggressors in return for fulfilling the prerequisites of being a SeeD member thus following graduation.

Anyways after the beach assault you then approach a town square where you were supposed to stand guard, but Seifer, decides to lead an assault towards the communication tower, which had been offline for several decades, where he then confronts two Galabanian soldiers, Biggs and Wedge whom are trying to reinstate the communication tower leading to a successful activation then leading to a fight, followed by a giant flying monster, and thus the activation of some giant spider robot thing (I forget the name.) Afterwards the character must escape fighting the invulnerable spider (disabling it at points) along the way leading back to the beaches where it is then fired upon and killed successfully.

Then follows the party, introduction of Rinoa

Later on you then approach Cid tasks you with helping a rebel group called the "Forest Owls," Orders derived from Rinoha in a Galabanian occupied city of Timber, under the dictatorship of president who is to be kidnapped by changing his trains with the rebel decoy train. On the way you go to into some sort of dream world shared by Zell Selphie, and Squall about some guy who is attracted to a woman named Julia. They thusly wake up, approaching Timber, meeting a man named Watts, thus changing trains, later meeting Rinoa who hands Squall a letter from Cid informing that they are to be on assignment until after the liberation of Timber. You then redirect the train cars replacing it with the dummy cars thus leading to the confrontation with the president (a body double.)

Later you then return to Timber to discover it is under a police state due to the attempted kidnapping of the president. The goal of the "Forest Owls" is to broadcast a message, via the Timber broadcasting station (established after the communication tower was reactivated from Biggs and Wedge,) only to discover that armed guards patrolled the station. The president informs his people via broadcast that he has an ambassador known as the Sorceress. Zell accidentally informs the president of involvment from the Balamb garden forcing them to flee to a nearby garden. Afterwards Seifer attempts to kidnap the president followed by the sorceress convincing him to follow her.

Then finally the Forest Owls along side the protagonist (Squall and his friends) leave the city of Timber forced to be redirected to another garden due to Zell's mistake of informing the president of the Balambs involvement with his apprehension.

*As you can see I have not provided all details due to character constraint. The details left out are minor and have little influence over the overall plot.

As of now that is as far as I have gotten through the plot. I think it was pretty straight forward. I made this merely to point out that I don't think it was confusing (my opinion.)

**LET ME KNOW IF I FORGOT SOMETHING**
#2Didymusication(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 6:37:36 PM
Following the interesting plot is the game mechanics that I thought were the best of Final Fantasy.

Listed below is the reasons why I like this game

1. The salary based monetary system. Forces the player to be conservative over their purchases, what is important, not important, etc.

2. Junctioning system. I like the whole concept. I liked how you could boost your stats via magic items, of course the act of using your magic items forcing your character to lower their stats, making the player make conservative decisions on when and where to properly use items.

3. Magic system-- I never really liked any of the magic systems (I played Final Fantasy IV and is one of my favorite Final Fantasy titles. That is an exception though.) I thought that FF VIII magic system was interesting in that your source of magic is a derivative of the monsters you faced. The higher your level the more likely you would get more powerful magic items which then could be used to boost your stats.

4. Art Direction - I like the whole direction towards European influences. Stuff like trains, cars, buidlings, etc. all look like they belong within the game environment.

5. Monsters don't attack you if you are travelling along the road on the World (minor example. Doesn't influence much.)

6. GF (Guardian Force) influence on player stats and the abilities assigned from the GF.

CONS

1. I don't like how easy it is to draw some spells from the monsters. I like the draw system but there should be a limit on how much magic you can draw from a monster. It seems a little easy.

2. Guardian Force can be a little strong (I am in the beginning so I have yet to approach any challenging enemies)

3. No miscellaneous jobs to help the player make money (you can base it off the salary system, but sometimes it takes too long.)
#3VilurumPosted 6/1/2012 7:08:57 PM
The plot is largely sensible on disc 1. Granted, there are the "really?" moments (like the whole teenage supersoldier thing and being wise and experienced at the grand old age of 18, though that's hardly unique to FF8), but for the most part A leads to B leads to C and it makes sense.

It's the later discs where things just come out of nowhere and/or don't really make sense if you think about them too hard. I love this game for its deliciously breakable gameplay, but its post-disc-1 plot is not one of its stronger points.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#4Didymusication(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 7:38:21 PM
Vilurum posted...
The plot is largely sensible on disc 1. Granted, there are the "really?" moments (like the whole teenage supersoldier thing and being wise and experienced at the grand old age of 18, though that's hardly unique to FF8), but for the most part A leads to B leads to C and it makes sense.

It's the later discs where things just come out of nowhere and/or don't really make sense if you think about them too hard. I love this game for its deliciously breakable gameplay, but its post-disc-1 plot is not one of its stronger points.

Well it wasn't just the plot. I like the overall game. I like the art style, music, game environments, the characters. I honestly think the only reason Final Fantasy VIII isn't liked is due to the furor from the people who strongly loved VII. The whole gameplay mechanics were different which made most people disenfranchised towards VIII. Otherwise if VIII was the first in the FF series it might have received difference reception. *Really only an opinion* but most of the opposition is moreover due to the differences between VII and VIII magic system, the junctioning system, etc.
#5KaskosPosted 6/1/2012 8:23:31 PM
Disc 1 was awesome all around, but Squall should have died when he fought Edea.

In regards to OP's post:

>SeeD candidates were dispatched to Dollet, but most of the forces which routed the Galbadian army were full members.

>Salary system was a decent idea - your resources should be limited. But you can just take the SeeD tests and make as much as you want, or refine items, or so on. Good idea, but they didn't follow through on it. Same with the Draw system: there is no scarcity of resources. Overcoming obstacles and difficulty is what makes a game fun. No scarcity = no challenge. Challenge has been replaced by time consumption. The way to finish a game now isn't to overcome a difficult level/boss, but to find the quickest way to effectively do things.

>The Junction system really made the GFs the MVPs of the game, which I think is what Square wanted to do in VI and X as well (Terra was an esper, and the Aeons were the focus, etc). FF seems like it wants a game about these supernatural beings but is afraid to outright do it (or just can't figure out how). Let's face it: Shiva has been here since 1992. If the FF development team ever decided they wanted to make their games more mature and respectable, they could knock off the androgynous characters, the furry moogles/mogs, and the feathery chocobos, and draw a BA Shiva and Ifrit and completely pull it off.

>IMHO you should have been limited in what magic you could draw based on your GFs. IE: if Squall has Shiva, and draws Fire, he takes damage; if he draws Thunder, the draw fails, so on. The GF progression table (what you have them learn) in place should have come with their level-ups, and in its place, you should have been able to develop the GFs along what spells you wanted them to learn. Something like FFXs sphere grid would have been awesome for the GFs.
---
"Bud: Dad, what's retirement? Al: It's what men do when they die, and women do when they marry."
#6Didymusication(Topic Creator)Posted 6/1/2012 8:34:21 PM
Kaskos posted...
Disc 1 was awesome all around, but Squall should have died when he fought Edea.

In regards to OP's post:

>SeeD candidates were dispatched to Dollet, but most of the forces which routed the Galbadian army were full members.

>Salary system was a decent idea - your resources should be limited. But you can just take the SeeD tests and make as much as you want, or refine items, or so on. Good idea, but they didn't follow through on it. Same with the Draw system: there is no scarcity of resources. Overcoming obstacles and difficulty is what makes a game fun. No scarcity = no challenge. Challenge has been replaced by time consumption. The way to finish a game now isn't to overcome a difficult level/boss, but to find the quickest way to effectively do things.

>The Junction system really made the GFs the MVPs of the game, which I think is what Square wanted to do in VI and X as well (Terra was an esper, and the Aeons were the focus, etc). FF seems like it wants a game about these supernatural beings but is afraid to outright do it (or just can't figure out how). Let's face it: Shiva has been here since 1992. If the FF development team ever decided they wanted to make their games more mature and respectable, they could knock off the androgynous characters, the furry moogles/mogs, and the feathery chocobos, and draw a BA Shiva and Ifrit and completely pull it off.

>IMHO you should have been limited in what magic you could draw based on your GFs. IE: if Squall has Shiva, and draws Fire, he takes damage; if he draws Thunder, the draw fails, so on. The GF progression table (what you have them learn) in place should have come with their level-ups, and in its place, you should have been able to develop the GFs along what spells you wanted them to learn. Something like FFXs sphere grid would have been awesome for the GFs.

While there are indeed some flaws with the game these minor flaws don't render it as non-functional (bad.) As for Shiva I don't mind if they reintroduce characters. They are pretty much gods in the Multiverse of Final Fantasy so they can pop up wherever. I mean if you can cast a magic spell then a Shiva goddess can channel herself throughout the multiverse.

The notes that you have posted are good reason but they are not substantiated amongst functionality or quality gameplay. Yes the game has flaws but I have ignored these flaws because they don't have much influence in any matter.

As for gaining money from SeeD tests it would make sense. After all the character is an elite of the faction so the leadership would want to provide as much insentive as possible to keep the players in tack (of course this is all fiction.) From a game developers persepctive the player would probably run out of money (espicially if they were new) and then become so frustrated that they disregard the game in entirety, so they probably added the SeeD tests to make it easier on new players.

The problems I had with the draw system don't really have that much influence. I mean the player will cast these spells so that they may be healed, thus reducing the value of their stats augmented by the spells forcing them to become more conservative. So in reality they would lose their stat boosts rather quickly since you have to consume many cures, curas, etc. to survive.

As for the stat boosts spells like Ensura's only boost your status defenses by 20% if you have 100 of them. So everything is in somewhat moderation. There are flaws but I feel they don't have much influence in any process of the game mechanics.
#7phiefer3Posted 6/1/2012 10:24:36 PM

Not quite true. They sent 12 SeeD candidates (4 squads of 3) and I believe it was 9 SeeD members as backup to complete the mission in case the candidates failed. But it was never implied that the SeeD members had to step in and do anything (aside from Quistis and her machine gun). So most of the forces dispatched to Dollet were cadets, and the full members didn't actually participate in the action.
---
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/08/25/ninja.jpg
phiefer3-I must be a glutton for punishment but I'm going to attempt to edumacate the Veghbot
#8KaskosPosted 6/1/2012 11:18:51 PM
phiefer3 posted...
Not quite true. They sent 12 SeeD candidates (4 squads of 3) and I believe it was 9 SeeD members as backup to complete the mission in case the candidates failed. But it was never implied that the SeeD members had to step in and do anything (aside from Quistis and her machine gun). So most of the forces dispatched to Dollet were cadets, and the full members didn't actually participate in the action.

Went back and read the game script. You're somewhat right. SeeD candidates were to route the Galbadian army out of the city, but the SeeD members (in addition to being backup) were to catch them as they fled into the mountains and eliminate them. It may be open to interpretation, but I also believe it was implied the main force of the Galbadian army had left Dollet and were chasing the Dollet Dukedom army in the mountains (cf, the use of the word "remaining").
---
"Bud: Dad, what's retirement? Al: It's what men do when they die, and women do when they marry."
#9ferdk16Posted 6/2/2012 7:49:57 AM
Why would you make a topic about how you understand the plot if you're only on disc 1? That in itself would defeat your point, but its even more futile with this game, because the confusion (or rather, nonsense) comes later on.

Disc 1 is a brilliant masterpiece of a game. Sadly the rest of the game can't keep up (plotwise).

Also:

I love this game for its deliciously breakable gameplay

This!
---
Latest cover: Classic Final Fantasy Battle Themes Medley (I to VI) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfXhs5IV8c
#10hikagesanPosted 6/2/2012 8:56:39 AM
FF8 is still my favorite, FF7 was out when I first got my PS1 but I liked the look to 8 better. it's the only one that I went and bought the import 4-CD OSt for. :) still, the draw and junction system is one I liked, but it IS a bit broken, being able to draw limitless amounts from any given enemy. altho..... there's not one you can draw ultima from, you have to refine it or find a renewable draw point like the one at Shumi village. even early on, drawing Shell, Protect and Blind from the Granaldo/Raldo bosses in the training center, Squall & Quistis can each draw 100 of each. or in the Fire Cavern with Zell & Selphie, having everyone draw 100 each of Fire, Thunder and Blizzard then refining then to 2nd stage magic, rinse repeat ad nauseum. but drawing is the best way to stock up on good magic for junctioning, but usually your enemies have to be lvl30+. even late-game tho, you can have everyone draw 100 Meteor from Catoblepas so it evens out, I guess.
---
purity is almost always toxic