This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about the upcoming HD re-release for PC

#1dankokoroPosted 6/5/2013 5:37:44 PM
Hey guys,

Lately I've been really wanting to replay this game, but decided it's probably best to wait for the HD re-release that's just been announced. I know there's barely any official information out about it yet, but if you could humor me..

Is this going to be released in English? This may be a stupid question, but the only articles i can find say "Final Fantasy VIII HD coming to Japan" etc.. Surely if it's just a graphical update there's no reason why they couldn't release it for all regions simultaneously?

Also, anyone have any idea when it's going to be released? Based on Squares announcements and game launch history?

And lastly, is it likely they will be making any other changes to the game? One feature i would love would be then ability to skip the long summon animations.. I know they added something similar in 9, where there was only a small chance that the long animation would play.
#2CNashPosted 6/5/2013 5:56:39 PM
They may be advertising it as an "HD re-release", but if the FF7 re-release is any indication, it's just going to be the old PC version, repackaged. The FMVs ran at a higher resolution on PC than on the PS1, so this might be where these "HD" claims come from. There probably won't be any changes to the game besides what was already different from the PS1 version (level caps on some enemies, requirements for refining certain items).

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#3sniperfox29Posted 6/6/2013 5:01:45 AM
That's right, there will be no changes.

Oh, and while IX did have "shorter" summon animations, they were also underpowered compared to the fuill length ones (hence why they was an ability to always see the long animation and thus always have full powered summons).

I believe it was X that finally offered the full powered summon with shortened animations.
---
I'm back, and worse than ever.
GT - Sniperfox29
#4VilurumPosted 6/6/2013 7:56:47 AM
They'd have to make summons multi-hit, not just shorten their animations, to make them worth summoning. And in general, if they were going to go for some gameplay rebalancing like that in the first place, they'd really have to do a fairly extensive overhaul to actually make it vaguely balanced, rather than just a bandaid on GF damage capabilities.

Really, I would be extremely surprised if they rebalanced gameplay at all, or if this consisted of anything more than what basically amounts to a re-release of the old PC version with some cloud saving and (poorly designed, if the FF7 re-release is anything to go by) achievements tacked on.
---
- Vilurum Xaren, leader of the happy turtles, and knowitall.
... And if you can't spell "Vilurum", call me "Vil". :)
#5Warchant1981Posted 6/6/2013 8:37:17 PM
Actually, I think the release of 8 on PC actually will be an HD version not like the recent 7. The article I read said that they had Japanese fan vote on which FF they wanted to see have an HD release, and 8 was the one they picked (7 was second place).
---
FFVI>FFXII>FFIV>FFVIII>FFVII>FFIX>FFX>FFV>FFXIII>FFIII>FFII>FF
#6CNashPosted 6/7/2013 4:13:27 AM
As I said, I think they're using "HD release" as marketing-speak for "updated re-release". If it was actually remade, they'd be making far more noise about it, and we'd have screenshots similar to the FFX and X-2 ones.

---
And the Lord said unto John, "Come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.
#7zeigmanPosted 6/7/2013 5:22:31 AM
Actually, the HD claim comes from the fact this new releases support full HD resolutions (which no version did before). In that regard even FF7 was an HD release, even though there's no actual enhancement on the graphics, number of polygons, textures etc.
#8CNashPosted 6/7/2013 7:50:21 AM
Well, that's a given, really - thanks to increased typical resolutions for games since 1999 (remember when 1024x768 was huge?), all PC games run "in HD" now, and have done since before the current generation of consoles.

---