This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Rare monster hunt---Don Tonberry?

#1cassandra365Posted 6/16/2008 10:09:32 AM

I'd like to unlock Ultima Buster if not Nemesis in the Monster Arena.

Got at least 5 of all except Don Tonberry in the Sunken Cave.

Any tips to lure them out, or special spots they lurk?

#2ffplayerVIIPosted 6/16/2008 10:10:49 AM
People say the greenroom has more Tonberry encounters, but I think it's all bull. It's all based on luck.
---
"No one dies a virgin, life screws us all"-Michael Trent
"I wish my lawn was emo, so it'd cut itself"
#3Robert_____MazePosted 6/16/2008 10:10:59 AM
Don Tonberry is a monster arena creation.

The creature in the sunken cave is just called "Tonberry" and no real tips, it is the rarest appearing random counter in the game and hated by many. You just have to keep trying.
#4ffplayerVIIPosted 6/16/2008 10:13:46 AM
I'm assuming s/he meant Tonberry in the Sunken Cave...
---
"No one dies a virgin, life screws us all"-Michael Trent
"I wish my lawn was emo, so it'd cut itself"
#5GlacorasPosted 6/16/2008 10:22:26 AM
Search for Sunken Cave on this board.

You should find a topic called "Sunken Cave Encounters Test" or something similar.

Last page will show a map of where the Tonberrys apparently appear. The map is posted by pbirdman.

---
I like the black Yoshi. - Chaosmaster00
Racist.... - marc5third3
#6cassandra365(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2008 12:08:34 PM

Thanks for that search link. The answers weren't what I was hoping for, but it seems like some people really took the time to test hypotheses. Guess there's no perfect answer.

I'd been spending so much time on levelling and customizing I didn't realize that I might not ever be able to fight the uber-bosses without some serious patience in capturing.

#7ShadowSunbatherPosted 6/16/2008 12:25:37 PM
"Wheres my money vinny"
#8erict1628Posted 6/16/2008 12:26:08 PM
People say the greenroom has more Tonberry encounters, but I think it's all bull. It's all based on luck.

Well, the tests (although not very extensive) do show that the green room and the back room do spawn Tonberry at a higher rate than the other rooms. Either way, it's worth a try. I've always gone to the green room in all my playthroughs. Works for me.

---
"We aim to please. You aim too, please." -Janitorial Staff
#9_Mace_Posted 6/16/2008 12:31:28 PM
Just try to make the best of it. Don't think of non-tonberry encounters as a bad thing, I always Mug while capturing, and you can get your hands on some decent items. If you encounter any overstock fiends, have Yojimbo kill them off to help raise his compatibility. Magic Pot encounters are a pain, but I always take the opportunity to see how many Bingos I can get.

Either way, if anything, stay near the back of the cave, save and reload your game every dozen or so fights if you don't see any toberries.

---
"A closed mouth gathers no feet." - Woody Paige
#10erict1628Posted 6/16/2008 12:45:49 PM
Well, I taught everyone Loner Overdrive mode while trying to capture Tonberry. XD

---
"We aim to please. You aim too, please." -Janitorial Staff