This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which stat affects Overdrive strength?

#1kfarschmanPosted 6/2/2009 3:43:48 PM
Strength, Magic, Luck? Anyone know? I couldn't find any info on it in the stat or overdrive faqs.
#2OverlordDeathPosted 6/2/2009 3:52:33 PM
I would assume that Overdrives are affected by Strength, excluding Lulu's fury, which is obviously magic-based. I'm not sure if Luck is added in the equation(for crits, since overdrives can't miss), so yea...
---
Shall it not end at this point, but instead continue among the stars.
#3Kains_LancePosted 6/2/2009 3:54:03 PM
Well, Lulu's I'm fairly sure is based off her magic.

Tidus, my best guess would be strength.

Wakka would probably be strength.

Auron would probably be strength.

Rikku, I *think* most items have a base attack. Like, they'll always hit a certain amount, unless that enemy is weak/resistant to a certain element.

Kimahri, would probably be strength for his attack based OD's, and magic for his more magic based OD's (Aqua breath).

Yuna obviously her stats affect the Aeons stats, which will affect how hard their OD's will hit.

I could be completely wrong here, I'm not sure I just gave it a try. Someone more knowledgable in the subject (Killian?) will probably have more insight on this.
#4kfarschman(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2009 3:58:27 PM
The reason it doesn't seem clear is that I'm Luck stat maxing (tons of fun as I'm sure anyone that has tried it knows) and my regular attacks with Tidus do 99999 on Earth Eater but his overdrive attacks do less. Also I know that there is some weirdness about overdrives like even though Jumbo Flan is immune to physical attacks the physical overdrives still do some damage to him.
#5negi_magicianPosted 6/2/2009 3:58:35 PM
I suppose if it goes crit or not, elemental affinities, enemies resistances and what sort of weapon as well.

I say weapon because if it's Celestial, your health affects how much damage they deal. If it's a Bomb drop, they hit for more damage. If it's any other weapon, it hits for the least amount.

But let's wait for Killian.
---
thetrueoskar-Both of you are totally ignoring that type of Satanist. v_v
They need love too...
#6kfarschman(Topic Creator)Posted 6/2/2009 4:13:27 PM
Could it be some kind of hybrid based mostly on his strength but also some on his magic stat?
#7KuronoE77Posted 6/2/2009 4:15:52 PM
The only weapon/armor abilities that affects ODs is BDL (not even the innate ignore defense in CWs); Luck only affects Critical hit rate.

Here's a FAQ: http://www.neoseeker.com/resourcelink.html?rlid=182463&rid=169328

---
"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." -Franklin D. Roosevelt.
#8jobber2022497Posted 6/2/2009 4:25:57 PM

Which stat affects Overdrive strength?

It depends on the Overdrive.

I'm not sure if Luck is added in the equation

It depends on the Overdrive.

Not Drain, Bio, or Death Fury.

Rikku, I *think* most items have a base attack. Like, they'll always hit a certain amount, unless that enemy is weak/resistant to a certain element.

Yes, most of the offensive Mixes have a fixed base damage (with the majority of those being subject to random variance). However, there's also stuff like Black Hole, which does proportional damage.

The reason it doesn't seem clear is that I'm Luck stat maxing (tons of fun as I'm sure anyone that has tried it knows) and my regular attacks with Tidus do 99999 on Earth Eater but his overdrive attacks do less.

The individual hits of Slice & Dice and Blitz Ace (not counting BA's final hit) are weaker than a regular attack, plus they have to go through the enemy's Defense (unlike Attack/Skill with a Celestial Weapon).

Also I know that there is some weirdness about overdrives like even though Jumbo Flan is immune to physical attacks the physical overdrives still do some damage to him.

Strength-based damage =/= Physical damage. The Strength-based Overdrives are not "physical" (in the sense that they are not reduced by Protect, augmented by [Strength +x%], etc.), so you can damage JF with them. However, you still have to deal with JF's 255 Defense.

I say weapon because if it's Celestial, your health affects how much damage they deal. If it's a Bomb drop, they hit for more damage. If it's any other weapon, it hits for the least amount.

The only auto-ability that affects Overdrive damage is [Break Damage Limit]. The Celestials' hidden abilities don't affect it, and neither does the Bomb weapons' extra Attack/Skill power (because the Overdrives have their own Power values).

---
"If you want to know why [George R. R.] Martin doesn't know how to write sex, go find a picture of him and you will have your answer." -- Gestapoid
#9BrainDamageEclipsePosted 6/2/2009 4:59:03 PM
Some overdrives are affected by luck, but only in the sense that they can go critical.
All of Tidus' overdrives can go critical, and (IIRC) none of Wakka's. Certainly not Attack Reels, anyway.
---
This signature is down for maintenance, please check back later.
#10Kains_LancePosted 6/2/2009 5:25:14 PM

Not Drain, Bio, or Death Fury.

Wouldn't higher magic = better chance to land Bio or Death? Or are they a base percentage to hit?