This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions on Sin, and spoilers.

#1Wildfire1313Posted 10/9/2011 2:47:56 PM
Yu Yevon created Sin to attack large cities with machina, right?

So why didn't Sin attack Bevelle, the biggest city in Spira with machina? It was also the city that it was originally created to fight against. I know Bevelle made a deal with Yunalesca to spread the Yevon religion to appease Yu Yevon, but by then he went psycho and then Sin only followed the order to destroy large cities with machina. So you think he should've destroyed Bevelle too.

Why did Sin attack Kilika? It barely had any machina in it so it wouldn't fit under the category of "large machina city" that Yu Yevon wanted to destroy. Jecht had no reason to destroy it either, so the thought that he destroyed it doesn't work either.
---
http://i39.tinypic.com/2ic15d2.jpg
#2tonerhorsePosted 10/9/2011 3:20:02 PM
I don't know about the rest , but I'm pretty sure Sin(Jecht) attacted Kilika to provoke Tidus to come after Sin and destroy it.
---
Every Blitzer knows, when you have the ball, you gotta score!!
#3Duke DarkwoodPosted 10/9/2011 3:29:34 PM
Sin's purpose isn't to destroy machina cities. It actually was never a weapon of the Machina War... more a byproduct of it.

MASSIVE SPOILERS!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER!

THIS IS SPOILER SPACE!

Ahem.

The summoners of Zanarkand were losing the war. They knew it, and it got to the point where they knew they couldn't change that outcome.

Yu Yevon then came up with the plan to preserve Zanarkan's memory, as an aeon. The other summoners became its fayth, in the Wall of the Fayth on Mt. Gagazet. Yu Yevon himself would summon a Zanarkand aeon - eternally. All the time, forever.

That would leave him defenseless. He needed something to defend him. When Maechen called Sin the armor of Yu Yevon, he was being very literal. Sin is basically a created being left with two programmed directives.

1: Protect Yu Yevon. This it does by existing; its bodily form keeps anyone from getting to the summoner. Plus, it is strong enough to take defensive actions.

2: Protect the secret of the aeon-Zanarkand. You see, Yu Yevon knew that preserving the memory of Zanarkand would be pointless if people came over there and destroyed the new one.

Sin is very... proactive about keeping people from the aeon-Zanarkand. It attacks ships, and coastal towns - keeping people off the seas, so they don't find the place (it is physically located in Spira, approximately near Baaj Temple, where Tidus first woke up). It ALSO attacks places with technology, this is also true - so Bevelle hid all its old Machina, after Sin returned (after Yunalesca's Calm), and their guards keep Sin at bay.

"Wait, how can they keep at bay something capable of wrecking Operation Mi'ihen with Giga-Graviton?"

In the game, they explain that the Crusaders at Luca and the Temple Guard at Bevelle do act as a deterrent, keeping Sin from doing too much damage to those two cities. Now, I have no doubt that they could NOT withstand the full fury of an enraged Sin.... but most of the time, it's NOT enraged. Operation Mi'ihen has a captive Sinspawn, remember, used to bait Sin.

"Now I'm confused - if it only acts as programmed, how can it be enraged?"

I'll admit that this is conjecture on my part - much of this actually is, although it is technically supported by what we see Sin do in the game. But it occurs to me, that Sin would have to be smart enough to carry out that programming - to differentiate what could threaten Yu Yevon or the Zanarkand aeon from what could not. It also seems to exhibit instinctive behavior - self-defense, which extends to defending Sinspawn (which Sin may see more as part of itself, than as offspring as such; I don't know). Whether it actually feels rage as we know it, I can't say; it could just be very aggressive when it comes to self-defense.

In any event, it probably sees that it would be more trouble than it's worth to attack such well-defended cities, with no extra reason to do so.

Of course, I could be wrong, or at least inaccurate, about any of this. I can only use what I've seen in the game, and what the NPCs tell us, and draw conclusions based on that. Perhaps people with the Ultimania can offer insights I lack.

P.S. The most common fan name for the summoned version of Zanarkand is "Dream Zanarkand", based on the fayth's comments that it's a dream. It is to them, but like any other aeon, it is physically manifest in Spira. Yu Yevon is summoning it through the fayth, who are in an unnatural eternal slumber, neither dead nor truly alive, so to them, it would probably feel dreamlike. Thus, the FFX community calls the place "Dream Zanarkand", as a convenient way to refer to the place. But it exists, so long as it is being summoned.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#4WearygigapetPosted 10/9/2011 4:59:26 PM

Sin destroys machina cities to prevent people from finding Dream Zanarkand, which Yu Yevon perpetually summons from within Sin, utilizing the fayth on Mt. Gagazet.

Yunalesca "bought" Bevelle out, telling that in exchange for worshipping her father, Yu Yevon (hence the Yevon religion), Sin would not attack Bevelle.

#5erict1628Posted 10/9/2011 11:32:56 PM
Wearygigapet posted...
Sin destroys machina cities to prevent people from finding Dream Zanarkand, which Yu Yevon perpetually summons from within Sin, utilizing the fayth on Mt. Gagazet.
Yunalesca "bought" Bevelle out, telling that in exchange for worshipping her father, Yu Yevon (hence the Yevon religion), Sin would not attack Bevelle.

This part is NOT true. The exchange was for defeating Sin, not that "Sin would not attack Bevelle."

The reason Sin doesn't attack Bevelle is that Bevelle's machina is well hidden. I mean, did you see Wakka's reaction when he found out that Bevelle was actually a machina city.
---
"We aim to please. You aim too, please." -Janitorial Staff
#6Duke DarkwoodPosted 10/10/2011 12:29:18 AM
But... the teachings...!
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann