This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Summons Only Challenge?

#1Oak_TeaPosted 10/21/2011 7:51:52 AM
This doesn't seem to be a very popular challenge, but I think it could be fun. Are there any reasons as to why it's not popular? Is it not possible without massive amounts of grinding?
---
Now playing: Pokemon Red (Black/White), The Beatles: Rock Band, Earthbound (1.5x enemy stats/hard mode hack)
#2Lionheart409Posted 10/21/2011 11:33:39 AM
Each random encounter takes quite a while because you have to sit through summoning, and they're kind of supposed to be boss killers. Using them to kill bosses... not very creative, which is another part of it, most likely. I don't do challenges very often, and I'm yet to do one for X, but it seems like summons only would be easy/time-consuming. Easy from the strategy standpoint, and time-consuming if grinding ever is needed... Bosses with the banish ability would mean OD spam. Boring.
---
I've been using GameFAQs for years, now I have a shiny new account to answer questions and give opinions with.
#3SpeedYoshiPosted 10/21/2011 5:15:05 PM
all the bosses with banish and crawler
---
Don't worry guys, I have all the clubs
#4ZantesuskenPosted 10/21/2011 8:28:30 PM
SpeedYoshi posted...
all the bosses with banish and crawler

Crawler you'd have to cheat, but the other bosses can be beaten down with OD rushing them.
#5KADFCPosted 10/22/2011 9:18:11 AM
It might as well be Yuna Only.
---
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=KaddyGamer
#6TrassonPosted 10/22/2011 1:15:20 PM
It's fun, but it's not especially difficult. Especially if you send Yuna down a physically oriented section of the grid like Tidus's, pretty much all challenge will vanish from the main part of the game. The Aeon's stats are all balanced to be monster damage dealers with Yuna's horrible Strength and whatnot, so if you give her lots of Strength, then it won't take long for the game to devolve into "summon Aeon, hit attack", to the point where attacking becomes far better than Overdrives. Toss in Bahamut's innate Break Damage Limit and you'll find yourself having very little trouble indeed.

The only exception is, of course, BFA. He hits hard, but more importantly causes Delay and has enough HP to actually pose a threat. However, giving Bahamut Curaga, Lancet/Osmose, Haste, and possibly Protect/Shell/Regen will give you enough time to punch him into oblivion, though if you're limiting yourself to truly Aeons only, Osmose, Shell, and Regen are unaquireable (since they require stealing/bribing/monster capturing). Curaga is acquired from downing Belgemine's Shiva, Lancet and Protect from Magic Urns, and Haste from Chocobo Racing. Once you have those, BFA's not really any harder than the rest of the bosses in the game.

So I guess, in short, Aeons only is entertaining as a playthrough, but it doesn't make for an actual challenge the same way some others do.
---
"There is nothing in this existence, no good, no evil. There is only selflessness and selfishness, both equal in their worth." -Insomniac by Choice
#7SpeedYoshiPosted 10/22/2011 2:43:55 PM
By normal challenge rules you cannot take yuna down any path on the sphere grid.
---
Don't worry guys, I have all the clubs
#8RedXIII400Posted 10/22/2011 6:40:22 PM
Ah, but in order to power up the Aeons you must also power up Yuna, you could think of it as not powering up Yuna at all but instead it being the Aeon's Sphere Grid. Depends on if you really want to do that or not TC.
---
She was just a monster with the capacity to regenerate, he was a mentally strong soldier who had come down with a bad case of death.
#9FallaciaPosted 10/22/2011 8:59:31 PM
Unlike usual "solo" challenges, Summon Only doesn't automatically imply a complete lack of use of the Sphere Grid for your non-player characters. A Summon-Only challenge is basically a Yuna Only challenge where her first command must be Summon or Escape. From there, it's up to the player to decide whether to add further restrictions.

NSGSO is quite difficult and may require the player to do 600 battles before the more challenging bosses in order to get all of the passive power ups to the Aeons. Once you can feed spheres to the aeons, that makes up for some of the lack of the Sphere Grid. It does get extremely expensive very quickly while raising Aeon stats, so there may need to be some prioritizing.

SO as a plain challenge is quite a bit easier. It doesn't take very much on the Sphere Grid to completely change the feel of the challenge. It would already have been quite significant with even one Aeon getting boosts from Yuna using the grid, but those boosts going to every Aeon just make it all the easier.

However, the things that both have in common will be Overdrive hoarding and chain summoning. Thanks to "Banish," there will be times that you have to get the most damage you can at once. Going into battle and instantly unleashing Hellfire, Diamond Dust, Thor's Hammer, Energy Blast, and Mega Flare is pretty handy. How many of these Aeon's actually need to use an Overdrive will depend on whether you've allowed any use of the Sphere Grid.

The difficulty will start to get quite a bit lower as you get later into the game thanks to previously mentioned methods of feeding spheres to Aeons or storing overdrives, so most of the challenge actually lies in the mid-story battles and the few times Yuna isn't in your party, forcing you to basically play what amounts to an NSG file until you get her back.
---
Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur
Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr
#10TrassonPosted 10/25/2011 11:24:36 PM
SpeedYoshi posted...
By normal challenge rules you cannot take yuna down any path on the sphere grid.

Even taking that into consideration, you get handed four Strength Spheres as prizes fairly early on (One for Luca, three for lightning bolt dodging) which is a significant power boost no matter how you slice it.
---
"There is nothing in this existence, no good, no evil. There is only selflessness and selfishness, both equal in their worth." -Insomniac by Choice