The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any Christians here who play FF X?

#1zombie_basher13Posted 7/7/2012 9:08:40 PM
I am and I noticed this is a very spiritual game, and I don't think it's coincidence; I think the game designers were deliberately referencing Christian beliefs. For example, Sin and Sin's toxins and everything with machina and the Al Bhed. In the game, Sin came to be because of people using machina, which they weren't supposed to do, and Sin is an extremely destructive monster that also spreads toxins that "get into people's heads" and affect them negatively, so they have to pray at the temple. (can't remember exactly, it's been years since I played FF X, and I'm waiting to play it again when the HD remaster is released). In Christianity, the Bible, sin affects everyone and it causes separation from God, and it is a destructive thing (war, violence, rape, and many other bad things come from sin) that causes people to do terrible things.

So anyone here also a Christian and have noticed these things in FF X, and more that I'm forgetting? I'm sure there's more since I haven't played in a long time. Anyway, I think it's pretty clever and deep, and I'm sure other FFs also explore other religious beliefs that I haven't considered yet (if so, please enlighten me, I'm interested in this stuff).
---
So you can try to live in darkness, but you will never shake the light. -Bright Eyes
PSN-ff789n10 3DS friend code-4253 3714 4356 Add me for chatz & gamzing
#2KaskosPosted 7/7/2012 10:18:49 PM
Japan's obsessed with gnosticism. Try Baten Kaitos or Xenosaga.
---
"Brother, life's a b****, and she's back in heat."
#3jakezing33Posted 7/8/2012 1:03:33 AM(edited)
you do know most religions have a concept of something, if not like, then similar in intent, to "Sin", right?

also what ^ Said, and the fact Religion has a great, great many tropes to work with for world building.

--

you also dont have any form of understanding of this game if you think sin actually came about "because we used machina at all"
---
Currently Playing: Medieval II/Rome Total War Gold, Final Fantasy XIII-2 & Chrono Trigger DS
Xbox: Ssteiner209 | Steam: jakezing
#4HayanNinjaPosted 7/8/2012 2:32:50 AM
It's *said* that Sin came about because of that. That's good enough for his comparison to work.
---
My RMVXA Project, Legends of an Otherworld: Curse of Saria (6-8hr gameplay demo now available!)
http://www.facebook.com/loaocos Official Facebook Page
#5pure mind gamesPosted 7/8/2012 4:30:24 AM(edited)
No one is Christian any more, it's like French it's being phased out
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oczhGNevlCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC6TYdw9b3Q
#6wwwgippal2Posted 7/8/2012 9:25:52 AM
I don't get how anyone can still have religious beliefs in this day and age.
---
sry fur me bad enlish,im form usa
#7jakezing33Posted 7/8/2012 9:28:15 AM(edited)
Riverstone30gm posted...
It's *said* that Sin came about because of that. That's good enough for his comparison to work.

it came about because they overused machina, not because it exists at all. thats their teachings.

sorta a difference. We dont see any Luddite's crusading around spira attacking luca and anywhere else machina exists.

wwwgippal2 posted...
I don't get how anyone can still have religious beliefs in this day and age.

because they do? why is it a problem?
---
Currently Playing: Medieval II/Rome Total War Gold, Final Fantasy XIII-2 & Chrono Trigger DS
#8ferdk16Posted 7/8/2012 9:46:48 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#9jakezing33Posted 7/8/2012 10:01:13 AM
ferdk16 posted...
Sin didn't came because they used machina. That's the lies Yevon spread to control population. In that sense, its a pretty good parallel with Christianity.

Sin actually was just created by this man as a last minute effort for his selfish goal of preserving his hometown's memory for eternity.

its selfish to not want to see your city be wiped out?

every soldier is a complete prick i guess then
---
#10zane0144Posted 7/8/2012 10:08:52 AM
pure mind games posted...
No one is Christian any more, it's like French it's being phased out

It's the most followed religion in the world dude.
---
"Heh, a faithful replica to the very end. That's...okay."