This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about donating to Oaka.

#1bolt_thundaraPosted 9/11/2012 5:45:43 PM
Ok, it's been awhile since I played this, but I remember that donating lowers his prices and eventually keeps his shop open to sell 4slots. My questions are : A) How much do I need to donate total? and B) how much should I donate at each interval? I just got to Kilika, and I bankrupted myself donating on the boatride (1500 gil, forgot to sell excess stuff in Besaid).
---
WTF did you expect going to the mall to pick up hotties? Creeper. ... Get her to put out.- josefrees
#2ferdk16Posted 9/11/2012 5:56:50 PM
The sums that affect his prices I think are 1001 gil and 10001 gil (anything in between lowers the same as 1001, and anything below lowers less, or maybe doesn't lower his prices at all).

As for the 4-slotted, that's got nothing to do with the donations. For that one you need to make sure you talk to Wantz on Mt. Gagazet (he'll be near the end of the mountain area). Make sure you talk to him even if you don't intend to buy anything. If you do, later on he'll be at Macalania Forest, right near the entrance (from the save sphere, go south until you hit the Thunder Plains exit).
---
Latest cover: Sacrificial (The Binding of Isaac) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuHyGxf7AhM
#3bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2012 6:28:22 PM
Thanks! Just got to Luca, and sold the armor you get in the cloister in Kilika for over 3K. Current donations roughly 5K. Good to know I only have to donate 10K. I think last time I gave him something like 100K b/c I wasn't sure of the cutoffs. Bought a poisontouch ball. Didn't even know you could get that this early! Poison is awesome in this game.
---
WTF did you expect going to the mall to pick up hotties? Creeper. ... Get her to put out.- josefrees
#4ferdk16Posted 9/11/2012 6:35:37 PM
Poison is indeed awesome in this game, unlike other entries in the series.

Though, I think the consensus is that its not worth going the full 10k (+1) if you don't plan to buy THAT much from him, else all you save is the sum you already gave him XD 1001 is not much and gives you a discount already, so if you plan to grab just a couple of things from him, maybe you shouldn't go the full thing. But if you do, then go ahead :P he's got some pricy stuff later on, some are quite nice.
---
Latest cover: Sacrificial (The Binding of Isaac) [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuHyGxf7AhM
#5bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/11/2012 7:31:15 PM
Lord, yeah! Throw 10K at him! I'll save that much just on the booster cactaur IIRC.
---
#6ZantesuskenPosted 9/11/2012 10:19:32 PM
^ that's Wantz. I think you're getting them confused(Understandable, they ARE brothers...) Donating to O'aka has no effect on the prices of anything Wantz sells. IIRC the last time to have it really matter is the expensive equipment before Operation Mi'ihen(I THINK it effects his item prices a bit later, it's pretty irrelevent though.
---
-Zan-
#7bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 6:06:00 AM
Zantesusken posted...
^ that's Wantz. I think you're getting them confused(Understandable, they ARE brothers...) Donating to O'aka has no effect on the prices of anything Wantz sells. IIRC the last time to have it really matter is the expensive equipment before Operation Mi'ihen(I THINK it effects his item prices a bit later, it's pretty irrelevent though.

It is absolutely possible I'm getting them confused. It's been 7 years since I played this. Almost feels like a new game. I'm trying a few new things, like actually using Yuna and Kimhari for a change (usually don't use Yuna cause she can't do dmg w/o aeons early, and never tried Kim as a thief). Generally i just used Tidus, Auron, Lulu, and Rikku in the past, bringing in wakka to smack the occasional flyer, and Yuna to chain-summon-overdrive aeons for bosses (at least until that quits being practical). I never used Kim before, except to teach mages Ultima w/ black magic spheres.
---
#8falconesquePosted 9/12/2012 8:42:40 AM
For some comparison figures on tithing O'aka and what he offers, visit:
http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/ffx_shortlist.html#wtMRRoad

You have four chances to donate to O'aka, the last on Mi'ihen's Oldroad. The discount only applies to O'aka's three appearances along Mushroom Rock Road. If you won't be item hoarding, you'd already donated plenty on the ferry crossing(s).

sold the armor you get in the cloister in Kilika for over 3K.

Ouch, that gear actually serves Kimahri well throughout the game.
---
Guides and other contributions: http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/
FFX, FFXII, KH, KH Re:CoM, KH2, Okage: Shadow King, Secret Agent Clank
#9bolt_thundara(Topic Creator)Posted 9/12/2012 10:20:04 AM
falconesque posted...
For some comparison figures on tithing O'aka and what he offers, visit:
http://www.esque.com/slr/gamefaqs/ffx_shortlist.html#wtMRRoad

You have four chances to donate to O'aka, the last on Mi'ihen's Oldroad. The discount only applies to O'aka's three appearances along Mushroom Rock Road. If you won't be item hoarding, you'd already donated plenty on the ferry crossing(s).

sold the armor you get in the cloister in Kilika for over 3K.

Ouch, that gear actually serves Kimahri well throughout the game.

as I mentioned above, Kim is underused by me. I'm not missing much. His main purpose will be to rob everything that moves.
---
#10Shadow_of_DethPosted 9/13/2012 1:13:33 AM
Just something I rememeber reading when I was doing this a few weeks back -> to actually get your 10k investment returned, you'd have to purchase pretty much everything he has to sell every time. Not really worth it that early in the game unless you're hoarding items. I pretty much always go with the 1k.