This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Playing FFX for the first time.

#1FelixTrapperPosted 11/13/2012 8:04:36 AM
For many reasons which I won't go into now, I never got around to playing FFX until recently.

For the record, I've beaten

And played 11 and 14 extensively

I am about 7 or 8 hours into FFX, near the Djose temple. I do like the game, however, it seems pretty lacking compared to what I expected coming from the previous titles.

1. Equipment. Each character only gets 2 equipment slots? One weapon, and one armor? Typically, in the past, I expected 1-2 weapons per character (some dual wielded) helmet, chest, shield, accessory, and possibly other slots. Couple that with the fact that the weapons and armor that DO exist are just unilateral items with no inherent stats or bonuses. Sure, maybe 5 hours in I get a sword that does +10% strength, but that's it. There's little incentive to buy/sell new weapons since so few actually increase damage output.

2. Combat seems dumbed down. Perhaps it gets really complicated later, but right now it's rock paper scissors. Got a magic enemy? Swap Lulu and one shot it. Got a flier? Swap Wakka and one shot it. Got a small runner? Swap Tidus and one shot it. Got an armored foe? Swap Auron and one shot it. Also, I can appreciate the return to a non-ATB battle system, but that does seem to trivialize a lot of strategy seen previously in the series.

3. Exploration. I am kind of afraid of asking this question because I think I know the answer. Is there no overworld? So far the game has consisted of placing me in a corridor disguised as something else and walking from A to B, then watching a cutscene. When the cutscene ends, I'm in a new corridor, and I walk from A to B. Rinse and repeat. I magically travel between temples in the blink of an eye. Exploring consists of walking 3 feet off the trail and opening a large treasure chest. Every single FF prior to this boasted a huge world map with tons of exploration and freedom to roam.

I don't want to wall-of-text anyone, so I'll stop there for now. Am I enjoying FFX? Yes. But mainly for the story and for the sake of completing it, as its the last FF (besides 13) that I have to beat. I am, however, confused at the praise it gets when compared to other games in the series.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/GDKT0486
#2Machines_Of_DogPosted 11/13/2012 8:17:21 AM
most people here are going to disagree but, sadly, it really doesn't get any better.

FFX-2 is quite a bit more fun....
---
"No-one tries to kill me and gets away with it..."~ Kliamgroq
#317MasterPosted 11/13/2012 8:28:29 AM
1. You're not too far away from equipment becoming more versatile. Once you get this new ability, it will start to become clear why each character only gets 1 weapon, 1 armor.

2. Sadly yes, many enemies are that handily defeated. As you continue on, you'll find more and more enemies that aren't so easily OHKO'd, but nearly all of them have ways to be dealt with.

3. There is no overworld, but there will be some opening up down the road (a ways down the road).

From what I'm getting, you seem to be trying to compare FFX to the other FFs, which I would suggest against. Otherwise, you just end up being bothered by what it doesn't have opposed to being able to appreciate what it does have.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game thus far. It gets better, even without the stuff from the other FFs.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/17Master
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/Valor07/CPlanetSuccess.png
#4VanilleHopenPosted 11/13/2012 8:40:48 AM
Felix_Trapper posted...
For many reasons which I won't go into now, I never got around to playing FFX until recently.

For the record, I've beaten

And played 11 and 14 extensively

I am about 7 or 8 hours into FFX, near the Djose temple. I do like the game, however, it seems pretty lacking compared to what I expected coming from the previous titles.

1. Equipment. Each character only gets 2 equipment slots? One weapon, and one armor? Typically, in the past, I expected 1-2 weapons per character (some dual wielded) helmet, chest, shield, accessory, and possibly other slots. Couple that with the fact that the weapons and armor that DO exist are just unilateral items with no inherent stats or bonuses. Sure, maybe 5 hours in I get a sword that does +10% strength, but that's it. There's little incentive to buy/sell new weapons since so few actually increase damage output.

2. Combat seems dumbed down. Perhaps it gets really complicated later, but right now it's rock paper scissors. Got a magic enemy? Swap Lulu and one shot it. Got a flier? Swap Wakka and one shot it. Got a small runner? Swap Tidus and one shot it. Got an armored foe? Swap Auron and one shot it. Also, I can appreciate the return to a non-ATB battle system, but that does seem to trivialize a lot of strategy seen previously in the series.

3. Exploration. I am kind of afraid of asking this question because I think I know the answer. Is there no overworld? So far the game has consisted of placing me in a corridor disguised as something else and walking from A to B, then watching a cutscene. When the cutscene ends, I'm in a new corridor, and I walk from A to B. Rinse and repeat. I magically travel between temples in the blink of an eye. Exploring consists of walking 3 feet off the trail and opening a large treasure chest. Every single FF prior to this boasted a huge world map with tons of exploration and freedom to roam.

I don't want to wall-of-text anyone, so I'll stop there for now. Am I enjoying FFX? Yes. But mainly for the story and for the sake of completing it, as its the last FF (besides 13) that I have to beat. I am, however, confused at the praise it gets when compared to other games in the series.

1. Equiment in this game i have to agree with you on.. It isn't that great and equipment you really want that is great you have to custom make with stuff you probably wont have access too till the end of the game.. I always just looked for weapons with good status effects like deathtouch, stonetouch, poison touch until i could get their ultimates..

2.I do agree most of the random encounters are as you say.. lots of pallete swaps and handling them with the appropriate characters... There are some that break the mold later on and the bosses are what really test your skills not the random encounters... thats how it is for most final fantasies..

3)If linearity bothers you then your out of luck.. the game is pretty straightfoward from point a to point b throughout most of it until you get the airship at the end of the game... I personally dont mind it though as i love ff x and ffxiii..
---
Hope misses Vanille's smile :(.
#5ferdk16Posted 11/13/2012 8:58:08 AM
Felix_Trapper posted...

Well, yes. Equipment doesn't have inherent stats. The thing is equipment in this game is not about increasing damage and defense, but the abilities they bring to the table. Of course you may not like that, but they're far from being useless. In fact, they're very very useful.

Felix_Trapper posted...

Yes its a rock-paper-scissors kind of for quite a while, but saying it trivialize strategy from previous game I can't really follow. On the contrary this game has more strategy because at least you gotta think who you're attacking with, instead of simply mashing the X button and whoever's turn is it will kill the enemy (in previous titles). I find turn-based system much more strategical because it is exactly that, you have all the time to build a strategy, instead of having to rely on making quick decisions (which in turn makes developers design easier monsters so they can be dealt under ATB).
Of course most of the strategy gets trumped by the usual "easy mode" that trivializes most FFs.

Felix_Trapper posted...
3. Exploration....

Yeah there's no overworld. Sorry to break it to you :/ This game is veeeeery linear (not AS much as XIII, but pretty close). It opens up at the end for backtracking and stuff, but still the locations are usually very "narrow" A-to-B screens.
I don't have anything to say on this because its true. Only that its a matter of taste. I personally never had an issue with linearity because it helps the flow of the story, which I think is great, so to me its a good thing. But I can understand why someone else wouldn't like it.

Felix_Trapper posted...
I am, however, confused at the praise it gets when compared to other games in the series.

That could be partially because you're putting too much emphasis in comparing them side by side, instead of judging each game for what they tried to do and how they succeeded at it. A good example is the overworld. Other games use it, this one doesn't. I don't think that's an objective flaw, it was a pretty conscious decision that helps the game in some way. I mean you can dislike it, of course, but I think we can't say its a flaw, objectively.
The game gets praise because a lot of people thought what the game tried to offer, it delivered. Not everyone thinks the same, but it seems this game is popular, so a good chunk of the fanbase has a similar, good opinion on it.
---
Latest cover: Assassin's Creed III Theme [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_Et0AdLJw
#6FelixTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 9:01:24 AM
Thanks for the input so far guys.

I see a lot of people bringing up the point of 'not comparing' this to other FF's. Well, I'm sorry, but that's bound to happen. If FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 all had expansive overworlds with free-roam exploration, and I'm a fan of the series, I am going to expect that in 10. Did it occur to you that perhaps a large part of the reason that I like Final Fantasy is because of its large, expansive overworlds with free roam exploration?
---
#7DeFenzPosted 11/13/2012 9:16:28 AM
Felix_Trapper posted...

I see a lot of people bringing up the point of 'not comparing' this to other FF's. Well, I'm sorry, but that's bound to happen. If FF 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 all had expansive overworlds with free-roam exploration, and I'm a fan of the series, I am going to expect that in 10. Did it occur to you that perhaps a large part of the reason that I like Final Fantasy is because of its large, expansive overworlds with free roam exploration?

Well you're going to be sad to know that FFIX is the last installment with the traditional "world map". As I'm sure you noticed FFXII lacked the world map as well, however there was still a great deal of freedom when it came to exploring the different locales. FFXIII gives you less freedom to explore then all of the above.
---
Broken promises don't upset me. I just think "Why did they believe me?"
#8FelixTrapper(Topic Creator)Posted 11/13/2012 9:19:05 AM
DeFenz posted...
Felix_Trapper posted...

Well you're going to be sad to know that FFIX is the last installment with the traditional "world map". As I'm sure you noticed FFXII lacked the world map as well, however there was still a great deal of freedom when it came to exploring the different locales. FFXIII gives you less freedom to explore then all of the above.

I know. FF12 is one of my favorite FF's. 3rd favorite, behind 6 and 9, to be exact.

The reason FF12 doesn't have a world map is because for all intents and purposes, the game is one giant world map anyway. It's not that the world map is non-existent, it's that FF12 just took the world map and converted it into huge, seamless 3D environments all interconnected (just like FF11 and FF14)
---
#9DeFenzPosted 11/13/2012 9:27:01 AM
Felix_Trapper posted...
I know. FF12 is one of my favorite FF's. 3rd favorite, behind 6 and 9, to be exact.

The reason FF12 doesn't have a world map is because for all intents and purposes, the game is one giant world map anyway. It's not that the world map is non-existent, it's that FF12 just took the world map and converted it into huge, seamless 3D environments all interconnected (just like FF11 and FF14)

I agree with you 100%...it's in my top 3 as well. It's still however a different look than what people are used to from past games and people tend to shoot it down for that reason.
---
Broken promises don't upset me. I just think "Why did they believe me?"
#10ferdk16Posted 11/13/2012 9:51:05 AM
Felix_Trapper posted...

I never said you couldn't dislike the lack of overworld, on the contrary I said its a valid opinion and I can see why people wouldn't like it. I only said comparison will be a disservice to your true enjoyment of the game, which I asume is something you want to get out of the experience :P
For the record (and just as simply sharing my opinion) I always liked FFs for other things, not necessarily the overworld. In fact I don't really care much for it, though I never disliked it either.
---
Latest cover: Assassin's Creed III Theme [HD]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN_Et0AdLJw