This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is there an RPG(preferably a Final Fantasy game) that comes close to this game?

#41thedarklordx3Posted 8/13/2013 7:51:47 PM
The_Havok posted...

Best RPG of all time? Chrono Trigger, FFVI, Baldur's Gate 2, Ultima IV, Fallout, etc. FFX? Probably the best RPG on the PS2, but since the PS2 had mostly crappy RPGs... It doesn't count for much.

ah, the rare video game hipster
---
I quit LoL for now(was devilkingx)
grand list of RPG elements/what defines "RPG": http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66933085/754045011
#42evillockePosted 8/17/2013 9:58:19 AM
jakezing33 posted...
:Old School RPG's like FFVII-FFIX"

what?

---
In Super Mario Bros., do you call it a mushroom or a big? - shonen_guy
#43Machines_Of_DogPosted 8/19/2013 4:01:44 PM
for me, old school RPG means sitting around a table in the dorm with some dice and an imagination...

i still rate FFXII higher than any other game i played
---
"Final Fantasy 7.6: Default Heroics Legendary Code Progression 1.9999998/43.9 Of The Fairy Hopeful Days." ~ EventualDecline
#44KaskosPosted 8/19/2013 4:42:17 PM
I just finished an old NES game I'd never played called Legend of the Ghost Lion. It's 20+ years older than FFX, but it's the closest in a lot of ways.

>Female protagonist
>Fights by summoning spirits.
>No level ups; you get these from treasure chests.
>Some summons are purely attack-based. Some are used only for defense. Others are magic-users.

I had a lot of fun playing it, and it's kinda sorta not-really like FFX/Yuna. If you can stomach the most basic of the basic as far as gameplay, etc, I'd suggest it.
---
"Bud: Dad, what's retirement? Al: It's what men do when they die, and women do when they marry."
#45UnderratedGamerPosted 8/19/2013 7:14:55 PM
Flamechamp2333 posted...
I agree that ffx is the greatest rpg of all-time. I remember years ago, I got my sister into playing it and she totally sucked at video games but she liked the characters a lot. To me, that is what makes ffx so great: the character interaction and dialogue and chemistry between the party members makes you feel like you're really a part of an adventure.

Blitzball is one of the most indepth mini-games I have ever played and its a nice break in the action from the main story.

As far as other games like ffx, well this one isn't like it, but Suikoden 3 is right next to ffx for me as the best rpg's ever. If you haven't played it, it doesn't have voice acting, the combat is different, and you do a lot of backtracking in the same zones, but the characters, story, loot/equipment rivals ffx's. I actually have to say suikoden 3 has the best loot system ive ever seen in a jrpg, so if you like that, you'll love it. It has "treasure bosses" in it which guard treasure chests and if you kill the bosses, you get a ton of money and loot.

I'm a professional rpg master and can see that you are an rpg master as well. Heed my words.

I also laugh when pple say lost odyssey is similar to ffx. It really isn't. I love the game but it isn't even remotely close to ffx's greatness. jansen is awesome though.

Can't help but laugh everytime someone says this.
---
"We are all Atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do." - Christopher Hitchens (1949-2011)
#46FuzzyKitten6Posted 8/20/2013 1:23:29 AM
Ogre Battle
#47pure mind gamesPosted 8/20/2013 8:04:36 AM
Kaskos posted...
I just finished an old NES game I'd never played called Legend of the Ghost Lion. It's 20+ years older than FFX, but it's the closest in a lot of ways.

>Female protagonist
>Fights by summoning spirits.
>No level ups; you get these from treasure chests.
>Some summons are purely attack-based. Some are used only for defense. Others are magic-users.

I had a lot of fun playing it, and it's kinda sorta not-really like FFX/Yuna. If you can stomach the most basic of the basic as far as gameplay, etc, I'd suggest it.

Nothing wrong with basic game play
---
DmC: Devil May Cry(Blind) Episode 01 - Found - http://youtu.be/OCOovWeY8L8
DmC: Devil May Cry(Blind) Episode 17 - Furnace of Souls - http://youtu.be/vIWO27074Gw
#48ImbackhahahahaPosted 8/21/2013 8:48:12 AM
It certainly doesnt feel like FFX, but Bioshock Infinite is one of the greatest games I have played in a long time
---
Gamefaqs removed my signature because it had a naughty word.
#49pure mind gamesPosted 8/21/2013 8:59:42 AM
Imbackhahahaha posted...
It certainly doesnt feel like FFX, but Bioshock Infinite is one of the greatest games I have played in a long time

It was pretty awesome, then I played The Last of Us
---
DmC: Devil May Cry(Blind) Episode 01 - Found - http://youtu.be/OCOovWeY8L8
DmC: Devil May Cry(Blind) Episode 18 - Demon's Den - http://youtu.be/GgkG42nzl_c
#50kimaochiPosted 8/22/2013 12:53:15 AM
As good as FFX was I don't even think it was the best Final Fantasy. The best FF games in my opinion were III, V, and XII. The best RPGs I've ever played were Dragon Quest II, Vagrant Story, and Demon's Souls. And the best games I've ever played hands down were Castlevania, Radiant Silvergun, and Metal Slug 3.