This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Oh come on, I would gladly die for world peace!

#31Lord_KafrosPosted 8/20/2013 3:33:30 AM
The summoner's pilgrimage,the Final Aeon were never meant to be a way to defeat Sin once and for all.
It is just away to keep the twisted spiral of Spira spining.the Yevon church enjoyed it's control over the people of spira through all that . took under its protection the summoners and copyrighted the pilgrimage.

Self sacrifice is nice but not when others tell you to do it for them....
---
I find it kind of funny,I find it kind of sad,
The dreams in which I'm dying , are the best I've ever had!
#32Duke DarkwoodPosted 8/20/2013 10:07:16 AM
In that case, sacrificing the summoners is probably more about the hope that Sin doesn't come back than it is about the few months of calmness.

As you learned, it was a false hope all along. Summoners were dying for a lie. Until Auron, I'm not sure anyone even had the notion to ask Yunalesca if it was true or not. (If any did, they probably quit the pilgrimage or were killed by Yunalesca. We are never told that there were ever any dissenting views on it. I'd imagine the Yevonite high-ups would have branded anyone with such sentiments as heretics. But, this is all speculation since we don't know if any of this occurred in the past thousand years.)

The "Calm" lasts only long enough for Sin to regenerate from the previous Final Aeon - the very thing that killed its previous body. We have ample evidence that Sin has been around a while - as mentioned before, Lulu was on two previous pilgrimages, and the one that Chappu died in, I believe, was the second of those (Father Zuke). I'm not sure how long ago the one with Lady Ginnem was also, Riverstone, I think Ginnem was going to try your idea. We've also evidence of various attacks by Sin - after all, why would Ginnem and Zuke have even tried, if Sin wasn't already plaguing the land?

Last piece of evidence, of course, is that Auron has been with Tidus in Zanarkand for over nine years. He took Sin to get there, just like he did to get out, meaning that Sin was back that long ago.

The slopes of Mt. Gagazet are littered with the corpses of previous summoners. The Calm Lands have witnessed many battles against Sin, and yet only four were successful. Many summoners fail even earlier than Gagazet, either dying or quitting. (Some quit even after - we know one who quit even after accepting a Final Aeon.)

Ignoring the inherent ethical question of "one life versus world peace", we must consider that dozens, perhaps hundreds of attempts were made... and only four succeeded. (Five, if you count Yunalesca herself. But she went in knowing what she was doing.) KNOWING that the hope they were following was rooted in a lie - knowing that Sin would come back, because the method of killing it is what makes it possible to return, well.... they may have died for what they believe in, and I won't fault them for that, but the fact that Yuna knows the truth.... it would have been foolish for her to perpetuate the same lie.

Self sacrifice is nice but not when others tell you to do it for them....

THIS. This is very, very important. Consider the following two statements:

"I will gladly die for a chance at world peace."
"Hey, you should probably die so we can have a chance at world peace."

Even ignoring the fact that that chance is "false hope", there is a huge difference between choosing to sacrifice yourself for the greater good, and being pressured into it.

OK. This post is almost full. But, before I break for the next, let me warn you:

THE FOLLOWING POST WILL CONTAIN UNMARKED SPOILERS. BIG TIME.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#33Duke DarkwoodPosted 8/20/2013 10:07:36 AM
REMINDER: THIS POST CONTAINS UNMARKED SPOILERS FOR ENDGAME CONTENT.

THIS IS SPOILER SPACE.

Plus, while the Sin-free period only lasted a year, give or take, there's stuff to imply that Sin was a lot lazier in the immediate aftermath of a calm. All the scenes of Sin sitting contentedly listening to the Hymn, and a throwaway line about that towards the end, imply that Sin was only getting back to its old virulence ten years later.

Well, that's hard to say. It WAS causing enough trouble that two prior pilgrimages were attempted. (At LEAST two - who knows how many Lulu wasn't a part of?) We SAW what it did to Kilika, and to Operation Mi'ihen.

Jecht was able to influence Sin to some degree, but it seems like it would be a... taxing effort. He could not do it all the time. Especially before Tidus entered Spira - Tidus's presence would have given Jecht hope to break the cycle. And not a moment too soon - Jecht's comment about "becoming Sin, completely" meant that he was fighting a losing battle to stay "himself".

If Jecht wasn't Jecht, it'd be a very different story.

This is an important thing. Jecht was not native to Spira proper. He had not been indoctrinated since youth in the Yevonite faith. He had an outsider's perspective. And, he had a son - who came to Spira as well. Jecht knew that if anyone could get him out of this... if anyone could break this cycle for good... it would be Tidus. Tidus had a connection to Jecht, and also a unique connection to the Fayth. He had Auron at his side, who knew more about the truth of things than any other Spiran.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#34jakezing33Posted 8/20/2013 10:58:24 AM
to be fair, even if sin did absolutely nothing but sit somewhere in the calm lands for a hundred years, not attacking anybody, there would STILL be pilgrimages to go kill the whale because people would rather it not be around at all, no matter how not sin-y it was being.
---
"HomeStucks and Bronies :D"
"If i made an AI, it would be called "JakeAI" and would be a Tsundere by default"
#35thetrueoskarPosted 8/20/2013 3:29:19 PM
Silly SINny, religious pilgrimages are for kids!

...Or at least hot teenagers.

Aw so sweet! Thank you Oskar :3

No, thank YOU.

Wait, what. Who had the FA and gave up? I don't remember that.
---
ophanseraph123-Here I am on Gamefaqs analyzing the sex life of an 18-year-old fictional military genius with a penchant for whipping ****.
#36GlavewurmPosted 8/20/2013 4:06:49 PM
^Seymour.
---
http://i.imgur.com/e0sz8wB.jpg
#37thetrueoskarPosted 8/20/2013 8:11:09 PM
...Bob Sagat.
---
ophanseraph123-Here I am on Gamefaqs analyzing the sex life of an 18-year-old fictional military genius with a penchant for whipping ****.
#38Duke DarkwoodPosted 8/20/2013 8:24:07 PM(edited)
...Bob Sagat.

.... Who would deliver a Tiger Uppercut to the tender parts, and then show videos of it on national television?

And dangit, where's that picture of Bab Sagat? (Bob Saget's head on Sagat's upper body. You'd have to have been there.)

Found him! http://truemeaningoflife.com/oldwisdom.php?topid=39823&responses=11
---
#39thetrueoskarPosted 8/20/2013 10:34:29 PM
Much better than the time he brought his family in and tried out for a circus act called the Aristocrats.

...****ing hate those mice.
---