eh...how the heck do I take on Meduna???

#1sfcalimariPosted 10/12/2008 2:18:30 PM
So I've taken over everything else (except for the SAM sites, I can't find the pilot who is supposed to tell you about the SAM locations, I dunno if I need to find him or not). Up until now the enemies and locations have all been relatively tame...I've got a squad full of expert snipers who can take out any enemy pretty quickly.

So I decided to give invading Meduna a try...and it's completely different. For one thing there are tanks all over the place in the map squares just outside of Meduna. Then I managed to sneak past the tanks and get into Meduna proper, and got to some area with a large palace building and what look like a bunch of chairs set up for an event. As soon as I started moving around massive explosions started coming out of nowhere and killed all my guys. Are the enemies using mortars? How the heck do I counter them?

So yeah...what is a good way to prepare for taking down the city? Where can I get a bunch of LAW's and a mortar? I found one mortar and a couple shells but somehow I lost the mortar and now I can't find where the hell I left it. Bobby Ray's doesn't have any LAW's or mortars.

---
[Soviet Dictator-for-Life and Chairman of KGB of Board 261]
[Obama '08]
#2SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/12/2008 6:33:42 PM
First off, you might have wanted to mark this topic for spoilers, just as a precaution. If nothing else, the presence of the tanks in and around Meduna is meant to be a bit of a surprise.

"So I've taken over everything else (except for the SAM sites, I can't find the pilot who is supposed to tell you about the SAM locations, I dunno if I need to find him or not)."

You don't need to find him, but he's a huge help, if only because you can finally fly your team around Arulco, without having to hoof it from one end of the country to the other ... and without wasting gas, if you've found any other vehicles. (Besides, taking out the SAMs allows you to drop new recruits closer to the front lines, rather than having to work your way from Omerta, each time.)

As I said earlier, he's near Drassen (within a 2 sector radius of the city), in one of the swamp sectors. (Highlight the square, and somewhere on the lower part of the map it will actually say swamp.) That narrows your search area down significantly. As I said, talking to the locals can narrow down you search even more, but failing that, just move from one swamp sector to another. (There are only 5 or 6 of them, in all.) When you hit the right one, you'll receive a message saying that your team found someone in that sector. Zoom in and explore. Find the shack, somewhere in that sector, and Skyrider will be there.

If you still can't find him, you haven't been looking very hard. (As a precaution, before you start your search, make sure you've talked to Waldo, over in the Drassen airport, to ensure that you've heard about the pilot. I don't think this would be holding you back, by why run the chance when it only takes a minute to get it out of the way and be done with it.)

"How the heck do I take on Meduna???"

LAWs, LAWs, and more LAWs! You'll want to get your hands on as many LAWs as you can. They're about the only way to safely, and reliably take out tanks (though mortars will work in a pinch). If you haven't been stocking up and Bobby Ray's is out of stock, you're still not completely out of luck.

The first thing I'd suggest is that you track down the pilot, and find those remaining SAM sites. Many of them have armories, so it's possible you'll find some LAW or mortars. If not, you'll still be hitting major milestones which will progress the game and make it more likely that Bobby Ray will carry better merchandise ... including LAWs and Mortars.

Failing all of that, just follow the road east of Meduna, and you should run into a heavily defended (at least, in later versions) sector with a supply depot. Clear out the opposition and empty the warehouses. (Be sure not to blow them up!) You should find a fairly large supply of LAWs. Combine that with a quick helicopter tour of Arulco (see above) to pick up any LAWs you may have left behind, elsewhere (just check the sector inventories, from the map), and you should be in decent shape.

You'll find a bunch of LAWs as you clear Meduna, as well, so once you get an initial stockpile, you should be able to replenish a good deal of your supply as you go, though it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on Bobby Ray's so you can snatch up any LAWs and mortar shells he might acquire. (He does carry them, once you get far enough in the game--again, a recommendation to take the SAM sites, first!)
#3SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/12/2008 6:35:58 PM
Beyond that, yes, the enemy will< use LAWs and mortars, though if should be pretty obvious when they do. You should see< the guy launch the LAW, and mortars are preceded by a very distinctive series of sounds (most notably, the whistle as it's falling toward its target). In both cases, your best defense is to not bunch your guys together in the first place. The enemy won't use those things unless they can hit a bunch of your guys at once. Spread out! By this point, your guys should be good enough and well enough equipped that they can hold their own and provide support fire without having to be shoulder to shoulder.

I might be able to add a few other pointers, but there's a lot here, already, so why don't you give it a shot and see if you can use these rough guidelines to figure out a strategy that works for you.

The only other advice I'll give for now is to make sure you bring along some hollow-point ammo. I know it's mostly useless, but trust me, if you use it at the right time, it will come in handy!
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#4sfcalimari(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2008 7:50:59 PM
All right, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot and try to take down the other SAM sites and the armory near Meduna and get LAW's and see what happens. So if I take over the Sam sites Bobby Ray will give more weapons? I don't quite understand what else I would need to do.

Also I've never done anything in San Mona, should I kill Kingpin and all his guys and take over the town? He hasn't bothered me so I haven't bothered him.

Also I can't raise militia in Balime, I guess I need to get the chalice to the ruins.

---
[Obama '08]
#5SpaceAgeSamuraiPosted 10/12/2008 9:18:42 PM
"All right, thanks for the advice, I'll give it a shot and try to take down the other SAM sites and the armory near Meduna and get LAW's and see what happens. So if I take over the Sam sites Bobby Ray will give more weapons? I don't quite understand what else I would need to do."

I'm not 100% on this, but I believe Bobby Ray adds to his inventory at the major milestones (taking a whole town or a SAM site--the things that get those fun little scenes where the queen smacks Eliot around for a while). Typically, you'd have been picking away at the SAM sites as you went along, so it wouldn't be quite as abrupt a shift.

Still, if Bobby Ray's doesn't have LAWS or Mortars for sale, not having the SAMs would probably be the reason, because he will carry them. On the other hand, if he's carrying full compliments of spectra equipment, C-7s, and other top-level equipment, but you still can't find any LAWs or Mortars (remember to check every page under every tab), then he might just be out of stock. It happens, from time to time. Just check back later. (Either way, taking the SAMs will help, either by encouraging him to carry better equipment, or by killing time until he restocks ... and with the helicopter, you can hire Skyrider to fly a merc or two out to Drassen to pick them up and fly them back out to the front lines, significantly cutting down on their travel time.)

"Also I've never done anything in San Mona, should I kill Kingpin and all his guys and take over the town? He hasn't bothered me so I haven't bothered him."

That's entirely up to you. Kingpin living or dieing is completely optional.

"Also I can't raise militia in Balime, I guess I need to get the chalice to the ruins. "

Yeah, Balime's a pain in the butt. You can't train militia unless the town's loyalty is beyond a certain point. Unfortunately, the people of Balime are all friends of the queen, so you can't raise the loyalty of the town enough, simply by kicking out the soldiers. Delivering the chalice to Chitzena would definitely be one way to go. That should raise the loyalty of every town you've wrested from the queen's control.

The only other alternative would be to camp out in Balime, and wait for the queen to send soldiers to take it back. If you can successfully defend the town, that will raise the town's loyalty, as well.

You could move on, and take over other towns, or even the SAM sites, to raise the town's loyalty--any significant progress should raise loyalty in any towns you've liberated--but that would mean you'd have to fight with a reduced force or leave Balime unguarded ... which would be very bad. (The loyalty loss for losing a sector is greater than the gain you receive for retaking it, resulting in a net loss of loyalty, overall. In other words, if the queen retakes even one sector of Balime, you'll have an even steeper hill to climb to win them over than you do, now.)
---
When all else fails, read the instructions.
#6sfcalimari(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2008 11:49:07 PM
Ok, I took your advice and did a bunch of stuff.

I found the copter dude, took over the remaining SAM sites that aren't in Meduna, took the chalice from Balime to Chitenza, started militia in Balime.

The SAM sites didn't really have anything, they have a lot of chests but they were all empty. I looked on all the inventories for every square and I can NOT find where the hell I left that damn mortar tube.

Tomorrow I'll try and mess around looking for the compound east of Meduna, I really need that mortar.

Bobby Ray now has 3 mortar shells available but zero LAW's. There is one LAW I know of on the map and one in my inventory, but otherwise I haven't found any at all.

So yeah I just need LAW's and a mortar tube. Will M79 nade launchers cut it at all for the tanks? I'm guessing not...

---
[Obama '08]
#7VelariPosted 10/13/2008 1:05:51 AM
You can also try the arms dealer in San Mona, he has some LAWs and/or mortars from time to time.
Devin might sell mortar shells sometimes as well, although I'm not 100% sure on that - it's been a while since I played >_>

---
SO3 board resident sagissa.
Liek omfg its teh lesbian!11!11@1, etc, etc. Wolfwood824 - about me ^_^
#8sfcalimari(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2008 8:41:02 PM
All righty, the arms guy in San Mona had a mortar and Bobby Ray started stocking a bunch of LAW's and mortar shells.....

I'm in a much better position to give Meduna a try now...

:)

---
[Obama '08]
#9ZoqFotPikPosted 10/13/2008 10:20:59 PM
Have fun sacking the castle!
---
I am not the FOT!
~~the Zoq, the Fot & the Pik~~
#10sfcalimari(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2008 9:22:01 AM
Oh yeah and I found the army base east of Meduna and there are literally like 30 LAW's there, lol.

---
[Obama '08]