'The Legend of Dragoon' sequel?

#1SaiyanAssassinPosted 5/23/2008 12:29:49 PM
It is actually being thought of being put into pre-production in 2009 for the PlayStation 3

This is official from me

I am with several others trying to get the rights for this series and we are trying to buy it out

Bare in mind this is only being thought of, as this depends on the studios funds

I'm a 22 year old game designer, so please don't flame me telling me to give you proof because I could get sued if I actually did leak anything to do with the artwork or storyline for anything I'm involved in...

I am a fan of games like you, I grew up with the Nintendo and PlayStation consoles, and this is one of my fav' games

I like getting ideas for what people want and I'd like to get some ideas on what you guys think should happen if there was a sequel, gameplay wise, not storywise

I'd probably say an easy and normal mode for additions as people seemed to complain about the addition difficulty - I didn't have a problem with them personally, I found them rather challenging to do

I work on the art and game engine side of things for games in my studio

You might of heard of Mech Mod for the Source engine that was supposed to be released eons ago - well I was the lead programmer and artist of that

It never came to see daylight though and never got 100% finished...

All we had was a BETA for the HL1 engine, which had a pretty good response from people

This also got me a high grade for a uni' exam I passed with flying colours :)

If you ask why I am here instead of doing whatever else to do with games, then it is because I didn't make this game and I have a passion for how games SHOULD be made!

I've looked into this so-called 'Save Glitch' which I never knew about until recently, it's rather funny...
#2Dragoon of InfinityPosted 5/23/2008 1:12:39 PM
I like getting ideas for what people want and I'd like to get some ideas on what you guys think should happen if there was a sequel, gameplay wise, not storywise.

Alright, I'll play along.

1. Keep the item limit. Yes, a lot of people whined about it, but it really was one of the few strategic elements the game had. It's also pretty much a defining characterestic of the game.

2. Dragoons need to scale better. Plotwise, Dragoons were capable of feats surpassing those of normal humans by such a degree that a mere seven of them turned the tide of a war against a vastly superior race. And yet in battle, with the exception of one character, normal human form outclasses Dragoon form by the end of the game.

I don't really believe that there should never be a reason to be in human form. Items are a good example. But I do think that the two forms need to be at least comparable throughout the game.

3. On a related note to 2, a better magic system wouldn't hurt. Four spells per Dragoon with an extremely limited MP pool was rather dull. And really, an entire reworking of the SP system seems in order.

What I would do is replace SP with a sort of rage bar. It starts at full when you transform, and each magical attack depletes a certain amount of the bar. The stronger it is, the more it takes. And when the bar reaches zero, you revert to human form. However, the Dragoons would have certain moves that would allow them to regen rage while still in Dragoon form. Guard is certainly an option. If you guard, you regen a certain amount of rage. This would be similar to element of restoring HP during guards from the first LoD, but it wouldn't be as broken.

Another way to handle it is to have a larger pool of Dragoon additions. Some of which focus on damage and deplete rage, and some of which restore rage but do little damage. This provides a greater degree of in-battle strategizing, something the first didn't really have.

A system like this has a dual advantage. Firstly being more interactive and interesting than the system in the first LoD. Secondly it fits the plot better. Dragoons are supposed to be powered by human insanity and instability during battle. This illustrates that in the gameplay, something the first didn't do.
---
I thought you were made of sterner stuff.
#3NascarAssassin2Posted 5/23/2008 1:46:09 PM
If your really gonna make an sequel then why don't you make it for the PS3 & PSP?
---
# of days i been on GameFaqs with this account (29)
# of 500 post topics i have (4)
#4Cablevision2Posted 5/23/2008 2:04:50 PM
Easy and normal additions? Where's the hard setting?
If you have been doing the addition for a long time, you can pretty much do it without much difficulty, like me. I think there should also be a hard setting for additions.

I've seen this topic before but not by you. I'm still very skeptical until I see some actual results.
---
I went into the Citco gas station this morning and asked for five dollars worth of gas. The clerk farted and gave me a receipt.
#5TizzLe93Posted 5/23/2008 2:17:42 PM
bet you cant do it..
and if u do somehow then good
---
im sorry officer i didnt know i couldnt do that
#6Dante K13Posted 5/23/2008 2:46:08 PM
I thoroughly agree about keeping the item limit. I also like the fact that items were based relatively in their effects. Thus your basic healing potion is still worthwhile even at the end of the game, unlike FF games where a basic healing potion is worth absolutely nothing within the first quarter or half of a game. This is why we have the item limit and it really made you wonder what was most necessary to your style of playing.

I also agree that dragoons need to be more powerful, or at least more varied. One of the cooler aspects of the fact that we had 2 forms was that certain fights required you to be in human form. If there were fights that were maybe easier to fight in one form or the other, though not mandatory, it might be a nice touch.

What I would do is replace SP with a sort of rage bar. It starts at full when you transform, and each magical attack depletes a certain amount of the bar. The stronger it is, the more it takes. And when the bar reaches zero, you revert to human form. However, the Dragoons would have certain moves that would allow them to regen rage while still in Dragoon form. Guard is certainly an option. If you guard, you regen a certain amount of rage. This would be similar to element of restoring HP during guards from the first LoD, but it wouldn't be as broken.

I like the idea of a rage bar. My immediate thought was FFX, where you have to fill the bar to use your special technique. One of the cool things there was that there were different ways that you could fill it. Since each character is different in their personalities and motives and such, I like the idea of different things enraging them. As for a dragoon technique to restore rage, I do have mixed feelings about it. I think it's cool that you could simply choose that option to remain in dragoon form, but I feel like it takes away the necessity of being human and the consequences of using your dragoon form. I feel like going Dragoon should be a special part of fighting and it should also be just as strategized as the item usage, if not moreso. Dragoons have better stats that humans, including defense, so using dragoon form before a boss does a big attack could save your life. With dragoon form, you could use it right at the beginning of a fight to severely weaken the boss right off the bat, or you could save it for the end to try to take him out before he gets a chance to use his heavy attacks.

I'm also wondering how you want to revamp the Dragoon Magic system. If we give them more spells, would we also be giving them more MP? I think it would be kind of silly to give Dragoons an ability to stay in dragoon form essentially limitlessly, but not give them a way to recover MP while in it.

Another way to handle it is to have a larger pool of Dragoon additions. Some of which focus on damage and deplete rage, and some of which restore rage but do little damage. This provides a greater degree of in-battle strategizing, something the first didn't really have.

We should also be able to choose whichever addition we want in human form, and have them be useful, like how the first game had ones good fr SP and ones good for damage. The final addition for all characters, hough, was great in both senses, so I wonder if a final addition would ruin gameplay if we always have access to all of them.
---
Teacher > Art
Yes the esiest way to beat someone is to kill them until they die. -grand_kaizer
#7Dante K13Posted 5/23/2008 2:46:23 PM
I know there was some complaints about additions, and I wouldn't want to simply disregard these people, but I think having an item that does additions for you is sufficient. Now, the Wargod Calling and Ultimate Wargod were an unfair set because the Wargod Calling didn't level up your additions and only did half damage and SP, and the Ultimate Wargod cost 10,000 gold which was obscene. I think the fact that an item that does your additions for you fills up an item slot, preventing you from equipping other stuff is a big enough price to pay.

On the subject of items, I feel that a lot of work needs to be done with them. All of the armor was linear. The next item you buy is always better than the one you have previously equipped. The only item that you had any freedom with was your accessory. Even then, most of the accessories were completely useless. Resisting a single status effect is stupid when I can just buy body or mind purifiers. I also rarely carried purifiers because going dragoon cured status ailments (and were immune to them, which was pretty handy). When it came to accessories, it was almost always something for health. Either increasing my max or refilling it every turn. They were incomparable in their usefulness.

I want all of the equipment to have variety. I want to be able to strategize, which is what I loved this game for (outside of the story). I also thought it was stupid that the elemental weapons that characters had were random when you got them and, except for Dart's fire sword, were never given at a time when they were useful in any meaningful way. It was a very cool concept, but poorly executed.

I think the game should have some more fun activities. The Hero Contest was a cool idea. You show up, battle people, sometimes in a limited capacity, and see how far you could get. Stuff like that is fun; it is a zero-consequence ability to use the battle system and test out strategies. It allows you to face difficult opponents without only having the chance against in-game bosses. It adds some nice replayability.

When it comes to fighting, I like the ability of having several methods of beating a boss. One of my major problems with a lot of Final Fantasy fights is that there is only one method of beating a particular boss and you simply have to figure it out or use a guide to have somebody else tell you. That's never fun, just frustrating.
---
Teacher > Art
Yes the esiest way to beat someone is to kill them until they die. -grand_kaizer
#8DanieLEAPosted 5/23/2008 3:39:59 PM
I want all of the equipment to have variety. I want to be able to strategize, which is what I loved this game for (outside of the story). I also thought it was stupid that the elemental weapons that characters had were random when you got them and, except for Dart's fire sword, were never given at a time when they were useful in any meaningful way. It was a very cool concept, but poorly executed.

instead of giving a lot of equipment, why not make then by using synthesis, where you could mix weapons, create a new one, add an element, and so on. a good example is Vagrant Story.

Having a hard setting for additions wouldnt hurt.

The Item limit should stay, unless you make some items less usefull(Heal. Potion: +50%HP -> +15%HP).
#9CloudSith5060Posted 5/23/2008 4:03:04 PM
Get rid of the item limit and new weapons like maybe a Staff or Whip would be awesome.
---
In the name of all the gods! Finishing strike! Layer Storm!
Patiently awaiting: Disgaea 3, Eternal Sonata(PS3), Star Ocean 4
#10Dante K13Posted 5/23/2008 4:25:04 PM
I was thinking of that, where you take a basic armor and then add abilities to it. The problem, I feel, is that it gives you too much ability. I think the challenge of strategy comes when you have limited options. With a collection of set equipment, it makes one have to figure out what pieces work together for combinations and what pieces work best with certain characters to either make up for lacking stats or further accentuate good one.

I wonder what would happen if armor also worked relatively, where it increased your character stats based on a percentage of their base stats. If this is done, then we could keep the same armors throughout the game, allowing for better armors to show up as you progress through the game, but still allowing you to keep slightly weaker armors that have worthwhile abilities.

The accessories in LoD had that down pretty nicely, but none of the other equipment.
---
Teacher > Art