I have some unanswered questions about Ikana.....

#1MrJoeBoxer333Posted 7/24/2011 12:14:45 PM

Ikana has always facinated me when I was younger. When I first layed eyes on it I simply HAD to explore it. But after I beat stone tower temple I still had many unanswered questions about it. How was the stone tower created and for what purpose? That is my first question and many rumours say that it was built to create or seal away majoras mask. But why is it full of bizarre designs and traps, and most importantly whycan the whole temple turn upsidedown? My other question is about the gibdos. Who or what were they when they were alive? The captains hat made sure that any undeads loyal to the Ikanakingdom would not harm you, even redeads who were entartainers for the kingdom don't lay a finger on you. While the garo mask revealed the garorobes and even allowed you to get information from them. However neither of the two masks prevented harm from gibdos as they still attack you. Which raises the question if the garo and the ikana were the only inhabitants of ancient ikana then just who are the gibdos and why do they reside in a cursed well? Keep in mind that the ikana scientist entered the well and was transformed into a gibdo by unknown means. If you have an answer for my questions I would really appreciate it and if there isn't a true answer then your prediction or any other fan prediction you may know aboutwill also do. Thanks for reading:D.

#2StoaGamerPosted 7/24/2011 6:14:21 PM
Oh my. Your comment has given ME more questions... XD
---
"I reject your reality,and substitute my own!" -Adam Savage being AWESOME -----------
"Sometimes, you just need a taser." -Me, on games
#3BikdipOnABusPosted 7/24/2011 7:23:46 PM
The fan theory for Stone Tower basically goes like this (some of this is my own speculation):

Terminians believed that the four giants were their gods, and worshipped them as such. However, the three Hyrulean goddesses were actually the ones who created Termina (possibly by accident - there's theories that the two worlds are opposite sides of a coin). The Garo tribe had heard of the goddesses, but considered them false deities, and built a tower to reach the heavens where they could challenge them. The tower was built with four phallic pillars at the top representing the male giants, as well as a burning finger pointing upwards at them, as a sort of taunt. They also placed images the Triforce in insulting places on many blocks in the temple. The Giant's Mask was their weapon to defeat the goddesses while giving glory to the giants.

The goddesses were angry, but clever. They gave the Garo tribe the sacred Light Arrows, along with instructions of some sort to fire it at the bloody emblem representing their successful battles against the Ikana. They did this and the entire tower flipped upside-down, leading them not to heaven, but to hell. This is where Majora resides. (And where you fight Twinmold, but they may not be related in any way). Majora brainwashed the Garo into building monuments and worshipping her, and with the gateway opened through the Stone Tower, escaped into Termina, basically destroying everything in the Ikana area. It's unclear what happened after this - my guess is that the Fierce Deity intervened and defeated Majora, but where he came from is anyone's guess. It's possible that he was sent by the goddesses to rectify their mistake in releasing Majora, but it's also hinted that the Fierce Deity is evil, so I couldn't say.

Either way, Majora was defeated, but concentrated her remaining power into a mask, after seeing Termina's mask-obsessed culture. She knew that some day, someone would find the mask (possibly the Happy Mask Salesman?), and that whoever wears it would become a host for her to do more evil deeds. Skull Kid got his hands on it, and we all know what happened then. At the end of the game when the giants stop the moon, Majora siphoned Skull Kid's remaining life energy to get her own body back, but once defeated by Link, the life energy went back to Skull Kid.

Obviously none of this is confirmed by Nintendo or anything, but there was much speculation on it, and this is my own version of how things happened. You raise an interesting point about the Gibdo. Perhaps they're just a "normal" species, not an undead version of something else. And if Hyrule and Termina are really on opposite sides of a coin, it's possible that they were able to travel between the Bottom of the Well in both worlds (and the Shadow Temple), as those may have been dug deeply enough to break through to the other side. Technically I think the Water Temple is the deepest point of OoT, but the theory isn't watertight. Pun not really intended.
---
"If the Pokemon I liked were there, I'd go anywhere. That's what a real Trainer does."
~ Ace Trainer Emma, Union Cave (HG/SS)
#4Keaton64Posted 7/24/2011 8:15:52 PM
http://www.zeldainformer.com/2010/10/the-message-of-majoras-mask.html

Long speculation article but a very enjoyable read.
#5honorary_oraclePosted 7/25/2011 10:13:34 AM
I never thought of that with the garo.... Somehow I thought that they were ghosts or something (despite them dying without a corpse). What I want to know then is what were the Gorman bros doing with the mask. They said it couldn't hurt if you had it since you didn't know what to do with it. Seeing as Link got more out of it than they did (comeone. You can use ANY mask to hide your identity at night), I wonder how they got them and what they were told to do with them.

It was the only passgae into the canyon period. Only that red eyed guy seemed to bleieve that anyone would wander around wearing that, so did he give it to the brothers hoping that someone more competenet would come along? We already know he has some other worldly connections, so maybe he knew you were coming? The owl knew you were coming, too. Why would he just happen to be where you needed to see him?
---
Storytellers don't make stories; they share the ones they've tracked down.
"He who has ears, let him hear." Matthew 13:9
#6BikdipOnABusPosted 7/25/2011 2:37:23 PM
A better question is how Kafei gets into Ikana Canyon without a horse to jump the gates and without a hookshot. Unless he's just a good climber.

And I don't know why the Gorman Bros had Garo Masks. I just assumed they wanted to be intimidating-looking. And it looks sort of similar to the Romani Ranch aliens too.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSisrAedZ2KhBqZqC04k-ggR4f1_-23ewGtm1sBsdRCzEWyRUN5LQ
http://www.twilightlynk.com/template/blog/2010/11/mm-aliens.jpg

Both have a hood with a dark face and glowing eyes. In my most recent playthrough I actually wondered if they were some sort of a trick sent by the Gorman Bros in the first place (since they seem determined to put the ranch out of business), but I have no idea how they'd do that. But even if they're not related, they could have noticed the similarity and just used them as a scare tactic.
---
"If the Pokemon I liked were there, I'd go anywhere. That's what a real Trainer does."
#7MrJoeBoxer333(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2011 3:56:11 PM

Jish posted...
A better question is how Kafei gets into Ikana Canyon without a horse to jump the gates and without a hookshot. Unless he's just a good climber.

And I don't know why the Gorman Bros had Garo Masks. I just assumed they wanted to be intimidating-looking. And it looks sort of similar to the Romani Ranch aliens too.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSisrAedZ2KhBqZqC04k-ggR4f1_-23ewGtm1sBsdRCzEWyRUN5LQ

Both have a hood with a dark face and glowing eyes. In my most recent playthrough I actually wondered if they were some sort of a trick sent by the Gorman Bros in the first place (since they seem determined to put the ranch out of business), but I have no idea how they'd do that. But even if they're not related, they could have noticed the similarity and just used them as a scare tactic.
---

Good assumption. The gorman bros are the only source or getting the garo mask so they could have been hand made. Oh and by the way I liked your prediction about stone tower;)

#8x9hpPosted 7/27/2011 6:51:29 AM
Jish posted...

For the record, i don't think the aliens were a plot by the Gorman Bros. If you let them reach the barn while defending it, they take Romani with them, too. Return the next day, and she seems very much blank. Nothing through her mind. As if brainwashed.

How would the Gorman Bros have such technology? It's not hypnosis, their eyes are too sharp for that. The aliens machinated the plot themselves.

On topic of the gibdos, this is just wild guessing, but i think they were the first dead of Ikanan lore...previous kings, age old guards, possibly travellers who perished watching their children attain glory among the ranks of the Ikanan army. Thus, they had no connection to the army, and may not have even respected it. It would explain why they attack you with the mask. But why don't they attack you when you wear the Zora Mask?
---
"Screw the shields, I want a chicken leg."
-Dislike Dislike
#9MrJoeBoxer333(Topic Creator)Posted 7/27/2011 11:47:18 AM

x9hp posted...
Jish posted...

For the record, i don't think the aliens were a plot by the Gorman Bros. If you let them reach the barn while defending it, they take Romani with them, too. Return the next day, and she seems very much blank. Nothing through her mind. As if brainwashed.

How would the Gorman Bros have such technology? It's not hypnosis, their eyes are too sharp for that. The aliens machinated the plot themselves.

On topic of the gibdos, this is just wild guessing, but i think they were the first dead of Ikanan lore...previous kings, age old guards, possibly travellers who perished watching their children attain glory among the ranks of the Ikanan army. Thus, they had no connection to the army, and may not have even respected it. It would explain why they attack you with the mask. But why don't they attack you when you wear the Zora Mask?
---
"Screw the shields, I want a chicken leg."
-Dislike Dislike

Gibdos don't attack you when you have the zora mask? Interesting, I never knew about that. Well there could be a possibility that whoever or whatever the gibdos were when they were allive was a race allied with the zora tribe in ancient times. There is a huge body of water in the canyon so there is a small possibility that zoras used to live in Ikana canyon. There really isn't any proof of this, just an assumption but I thought I should share.

#10honorary_oraclePosted 7/27/2011 12:24:10 PM
Zora link can walk through the Canyon? Sweet! I gotta try that. Not sure how or why that'd work though. The river flows into the swamp iirc, and I don't see much connection with the ocean beside the business scrub that wants to go to the ocean.

Never thought about the hand made Garo masks. Were they authentic you just may have been able to fool them, or at least gotten some interesting dialogue. I mean, the captain's hat was real and the king of Ikana stopped to chat with you for a bit.
---
Storytellers don't make stories; they share the ones they've tracked down.
"He who has ears, let him hear." Matthew 13:9