Wii VC: can I have more than two save files via SD card trickery?

#1wccanardPosted 1/12/2012 1:17:20 PM
For reasons too tedious to describe, three people in my household want to play independently on Majora's Mask (on Wii VC and there's only one Wii). We've downloaded MM from Wii VC. But of course there are only two save slots. Can we somehow save save files to SD card and then swap them around, so we can all play independently? I imagine this is either easy or impossible, and here would be a good place to find out which.
#2Link484Posted 1/12/2012 1:50:07 PM
I'm pretty sure you can do that.
---
Black Friend code: 3138 6684 1752
Xbox Live Gamertag: Szabu991
#3longnutsPosted 1/12/2012 2:17:50 PM
I would imagine that you would have to use at least 2 SD cards, as when you go to move any file between the two, it will only overwrite files and not let two exist on one medium.

I think?

I could be completely wrong though.
---
Your 360 can blog on its own!
www.360voice.com
#4wccanard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2012 3:44:32 PM
I see!

Yes, I can't see how to make things work with just one SD card.

Let me run through some basic statements and someone can perhaps flag if I've made a mistake.

In the Wii menus I have "channels" and "save data". In "channels" I can find Majora's Mask -- that file is _the actual MM program_ and I don't touch it.

In "save data" there's a much smaller file, which is the MM save file. I could move or copy this to an SD card. Indeed, I could even move it to an SD card and then create a new save file. Then I'll have two slots on the Wii and two on the SD card. Problem solved! Or is it?

The problem comes when I want to access the SD card save files, because if I attempt to move the SD save file back to the Wii it will *automatically* overwrite the Wii save file and I'll lose data. Conversely, if I attempt to first move the Wii save file to the SD card it will *automatically* delete the SD card save file, and again I'll lose data. Is that how things are set up?

So one solution would be to get two SD cards and then this gives me enough space to goof around. More precisely, player A and B could have their save file on SD card 1, and players C and D could have a save file on SD card 2. If A (or B) wants to play, he moves his save file from the first SD card to the Wii, plays, saves, and moves the save file back to the first SD card. If C (or D) wants to play, they can move their save file from the second SD card to the Wii, play, save, and move it back to the second SD card.

Does this sound right or am I (a) fundamentally misunderstanding or (b) missing a simpler solution.

Aah, here's another solution. How about one SD card, and another device which can read/write SD cards, e.g. an appropriate computer. Then both save files can live on the PC and can be moved to the SD card and then onto the Wii as needed. That would work too, right?
#5kirbymuncherPosted 1/12/2012 4:10:39 PM

. How about one SD card, and another device which can read/write SD cards, e.g. an appropriate computer. Then both save files can live on the PC and can be moved to the SD card and then onto the Wii as needed. That would work too, right?

This seems like it would work, provided you're able to actually tell what on the SD card is the savefile (or you could just copy everything)

I'll say in advance, though, that this seems like a lot of work to play a different file, and unless you're paying attention, someone will end up with deleted files, so be careful :P
---
THIS IS WHAT I HATE A BOUT EVREY WEBSITE!! THERES SO MUCH PEOPLE READING AND POSTING STUIPED STUFF
#6wccanard(Topic Creator)Posted 1/12/2012 5:09:06 PM
"be careful" -- yeah :-) That's exactly why I asked here. Because in practice the two save slots are already used, and one has all 24 masks and all items :-) and if I were to lose this one, I would not be so popular...

OK so at present I have one SD card. If I buy another one, all my troubles are over because it will be "easy", right??
#7longnutsPosted 1/12/2012 5:56:16 PM(edited)
Yeah wccanard, you're going to be doing a LOT of moving files. And the first time you f*** it up, somebody is gonna get mad. You're going to have to be very meticulous to accomplish all that, but as long as you and your buddies understand what has to be done every time they play, it's possible.

I imagine storing the file on the PC and then using 1 card will work just fine, and that itself seems like it would be the easiest solution.

The first time somebody forgets to move their data back to the PC for storage is gonna end up kicking themself. I just did the same thing while playing skyward sword on my in-laws wii and forgot to swap it back to the SD card.
---
Your 360 can blog on its own!
www.360voice.com
#8GunbladeladPosted 1/13/2012 11:46:14 AM
I have to agree - if you have 1 SD card, then copy the save file over to the PC - in fact, if you could easily make 3 folders on the PC, 1 for each user so that each person is able to use both files, and each person simply copies their save from the PC to the Wii before they play, then copy the save file back once they finish.

You'll just need to make sure people remember to do that before & after they play so that nothing gets mixed up.
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming