Was the time paradox with the music man in the windmill ever explained?

#1Flash2BeasleyPosted 5/16/2009 4:41:01 AM
I remember there used to be tons of topics on this a long time ago, was this ever properly explained?
#2TinyosiPosted 5/16/2009 5:46:08 AM
What time paradox? Do you mean the one where he says you already played it the first time you meet him as an adult? Yeah, that is kind of weird.
---
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa25/tinyosi/Picture080.jpg
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa25/tinyosi/iqfwxv.jpg
#3Sparx401Posted 5/16/2009 11:00:24 AM
I don't think anyone can accurately and precisely explain this paradox, especially in context of the time traveling mechanics that Eiji Aonuma asserted for the split timeline in a few interviews. Basically this is one of those things purely for gameplay purposes, and the time traveling can be glossed over as "developer's licensing".
---
Darkness is overrated. We've been trying to tell mankind that since we started this absurd rebellion. The world-hater would say that darkness is easier to sell.
#4Captn_PlanetPosted 5/16/2009 11:44:18 AM
*SPOILERS*

Yeah, there's no logical explanation for this. I would say that maybe Hyrule is a land that follows pre-destination, or the idea that there is no way to change the future, because everything from the beginning of time to the end has already been planned. Therefore, even though Link never really played the song, not playing it would have changed the future, and the future can't change, so the gap was filled somehow and the music man has got the idea in his head that something happened when it really didn't.

That wouldn't work, though. The major flaw in that argument is the fact that OoT already splits the timeline in two, so there's no way Hyrule could follow predestination because there's two different realities, one from Link's adulthood and the other from Link's childhood.
#5Sparx401Posted 5/16/2009 3:45:41 PM
Well to be technically correct, one timeline follows the events when Link took the Master Sword and became the hero of time (fulfilling the prophecy) and the other timeline where he doesn't take the Master Sword (not fulfilling the prophecy). Destiny and being "chosen by the gods" are both things that exist in the Zelda universe, but it seems apparent that such destiny can be changed (or at least diverted to something that doesn't necessitate predestination).
---
Darkness is overrated. We've been trying to tell mankind that since we started this absurd rebellion. The world-hater would say that darkness is easier to sell.
#6faramir77Posted 5/16/2009 6:41:53 PM
Perhaps originally it wasn't Link that played the Song of Storms?

Maybe it was just some kid with an Ocarina, shortly after Link removed the Master Sword and was locked in time. Then you learn the song as older Link, return as younger Link, and play the song before the other kid does.

Just a thought. It's not necessarily a time paradox. But it could be.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCtAUrZbUk
-- Defeating the Running Man of Ocarina of Time in a race since 01/17/2009. --
#7Sparx401Posted 5/16/2009 7:07:58 PM
It can't be another person because Link is the very one who plays the Song of Storms that specifically drains the well. It couldn't have been anyone else but him because we see the very instance where the well dries up.
---
#8faramir77Posted 5/16/2009 7:15:15 PM
I don't see how it couldn't have been somebody else though, originally.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCtAUrZbUk
-- Defeating the Running Man of Ocarina of Time in a race since 01/17/2009. --
#9Sparx401Posted 5/16/2009 8:38:16 PM
I can't have been anyone else. The Windmill guy says that a kid came in, played the Song of Storms, and drained the well (as well as make the windmill go out of wack). This is a set event that has "already happened". If what you're saying is true, then how is it that Link somehow magically ends up draining the well before that mysterious person does (which by the way, we have no evidence and no warrant in believing so; we can't make up people out of nowhere, say it's a possibility, and then stick with that possibility with a high level of confidence).

If we see Link drain the well in the past, then it is pretty logical to assume that in the future, it is the same, because Link is only on one timeline (actually, another thing came to mind, the timeline would probably split again for this one event, but we know this doesn't happen).

I could just as well invoke Occam's Razor and say that it is highly unnecessary to put forth something as extraneous as having another person doing it when it clearly is Link (because what other kid has an ocarina and knows the song of storms and drained the well?).
---
#10ColebyPosted 5/16/2009 9:35:13 PM
Link is the only person to have ever found and used Zelda's Ocarina of Time. No other child could have laid hands on it when Link still has it in the future.
---
This is a scratch-and-sniff sig. Go ahead, try it!
"Coleby your sig made me break my monitor" ~ kill3r619