What does MDK actually stand for?

#1Jetanium4Posted 7/2/2008 4:14:02 AM
I've heard Murder Death Kill, but before me and my brother discovered the internet we always thought it was for the 3 characters, Max, Dr. Hawkins and Kurt.

The one the developers say it was sounds kinda violent to be the original title.
---
My grandma doesn't even fall down as much as players in the NBA do.
- SouperTrooper
#2friendlydudePosted 7/5/2008 9:19:39 PM
That's an interesting theory about the three characters you mention having the first letter of each name make up the game title. That could be a possibility then. In the instruction booklet, it says "Mission- Deliver Kindness" so I assume that one is the most likely.
#3JurassicUtilityPosted 7/16/2008 3:59:31 PM
Well supposedly ("supposedly" since this is info I got from the MDK wikipedia page, that has no verifiable sources) the name "MDK" was originally just the codename the developers gave the game during it's creation. Assuming this true, the creators just decided to stick with the codename when time came to give it a official title. This is a very plausible situation, as its common practice for developers to refer to games and movies by a codename early in production.

A common theory is that the title MDK stands for "Murder Death Kill" in reference to the 1993 film Demolition Man.
If MDK has to stand for anything, I'd agree with friendlydude in saying that it probably stands for "Mission: Deliver Kindness". It's information given to you in the manual, and I feel that it best fits the mood of the game and it's irreverent brand of humor.

Link: http://yawiki.org/proc/servlet/Resource?full=true&uid=Mdk_explanation.JPG
Here's a scan of where the manual states that your mission is called "Mission: Deliver Kindness or Stop The Big Minecrawlers". I'm not sure which version that particular manual comes from - the Playstation version has the same information, but a different layout.
---
"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."
#4friendlydudePosted 7/17/2008 4:56:50 PM
"A common theory is that the title MDK stands for "Murder Death Kill" in reference to the 1993 film Demolition Man."

ah so THAT'S where everyone is coming up with "murder death kill". I've never seen that movie, but I thought '93 was a great year for movies so that one must have slipped my mind or I just didn't like the previews I seen for it.
#5JurassicUtilityPosted 7/17/2008 9:53:39 PM
I haven't seen Demolition Man myself, but it looks like it could be a pretty decent action flick.
*shrug*
I've never been hugely impressed by Sylvester Stallone as an actor (or director for that matter).
---
#6friendlydudePosted 7/19/2008 11:50:24 PM
oh he's the star of the film? I'll pass! Nah, only kidding. I don't mind him that much. The Rocky movies were cool, and he had a couple other decent moments.
#7Jetanium4(Topic Creator)Posted 7/21/2008 5:05:57 PM
I'm surprised how active this board is. Thanks for the responses!
---
It was also poor writing to have Big Boss be alive STILL. They might as well have had The Boss there standing with Obi Wan and Jesus.
- Sho_Nuff
#8JurassicUtilityPosted 7/22/2008 12:32:34 AM
Lol! Your very welcome.
You have friendlydude to thank for keeping this board in some state of animation though. ;)
---
#9friendlydudePosted 7/22/2008 8:26:03 PM
yeah, I just like to keep boards alive for games that are really good and underrated. It don't get more underrated than MDK! :)
#10Jetanium4(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2008 7:32:37 AM
friendlydude,
other than here and Megaman Legends 2, where else do you go?
---
It was also poor writing to have Big Boss be alive STILL. They might as well have had The Boss there standing with Obi Wan and Jesus.
- Sho_Nuff