Rate and Discuss: Crusher

#1AquaTeamV3Posted 1/28/2009 12:00:33 PM
This topic is about a weapon that very well stays true to its name, the Crusher!

The Crusher is made from two parts: the Taser and the Soft Ball. The soft ball is round in the Saul Kada Ruins in the room where you fight Bon, and it's relatively easy to reach. The Taser on the other hand, requires you to be dark, which can be costly and rewarding at the same time.

Speaking of costly, the Crusher is the second most expensive weapon in the game. Total cost of upgrades amounts to a whopping 8,285,000z, of course the price varies depending on the status of Roll's tool kit as well. If you're playing the PSP version which cut the costs of weapons dramatically, you're only talking a merciful 2,385,000z, which isn't too bad. The weapon however, is worth it, as it can do just as much damage as the Shining Laser (and then some) when fully upgraded. Once you fully upgrade the energy, you get a good amount of these, which helps. The special status of the weapon makes the energy sphere last longer, which increases the damage.

The way the weapon is used, you throw it at an enemy, and when it makes contact with something, be it a wall or an enemy, it makes a sphere of electricity that continually damages whatever is inside of it. Even when not fully upgraded, most enemies will not stand a chance against it. This puts a dent in most bosses, including Sera herself. I wouldn't try it on Geetz though, at least not until you've grounded him, then you can finish him off.

The Crusher does have a few weaknesses though. One main weakness of this weapon is the painfully long recharge time, it takes about 20 seconds until you can fire another one. Granted, you can fire your buster or do something else while you're waiting, but it gets annoying if you miss with this. Also, in general, the range could be better when locking on. Often times it's better to manually aim (use the right analog or L2) and get more distance that way. Also, with the special fully upgraded, the electric sphere lasts long enough for the next one to come. Just remember to make use of your buster and dodging skills as well. Using only the Crusher would be pretty tough.

In conclusion, the Crusher is a pretty awesome weapon. Despite its few shortcomings, it can deal with the toughest of foes. As long as you can shell out the cash, you're pretty much fine. I rate this one a 9/10. Crush the competition!

Post your opinions/ratings/thoughts here!

P.S. If you want me to rate a specific weapon next, let me know!
---
Visit my website and forum:
freewebs.com/bluerobot
#2rapsbryPosted 1/28/2009 3:05:04 PM
Again, nice. Again, I cannot contribute. T.T
---
Wii FC: 2912-1020-9310-3033 Brawl FC: 5327-0561-2993
City Folk FC: J.T.@ Nowhere 1118-3729-2154
#3Eta_warriorPosted 1/30/2009 9:51:55 AM
The crusher huh? I was unable to use it properly because of its range I think. Sure, it deals some really heavy damage, but as you said, you'll really regret it if you miss. Also, being dark is really tough, I can't bring myself to kick those poor piggies. >_<
---
Sorry if I somehow messed up the grammar or syntax in my post >.<
#4friendlydudePosted 2/2/2009 12:56:16 AM
If you can't kick the piggies in this game, I don't know what you're going to do when the time comes to kick them in the real world :)

As for the Crusher, well, you know what? A weapon with THAT awesome name should be a giant metal foot-stomping thing that comes out of the sky and crushes nearly everything on screen, even Data!
#5Elec Man EXEPosted 2/9/2009 10:51:57 AM
This. Thing. Is. Expensive. Not only does it cost a ton to upgrade the weapon itself, but you've also got to go through the annoyance of trying to reverse your dark-ness after you get it. Which is another million or more, that's basically "wasted" zenny. I assume, anyway... I went dark to get this yesterday and have paid 600k to the priest and I haven't even lightened up at all. You get a 250k profit from the other "part" of the whole darkness quest, but that doesn't even scratch the cost. Yah, you can just stay dark, but... I dunno, dark MM is just wierd to me. Mega is supposed to be a goody goody, IMO. And hi9gher prices at shops isn't good, though by the time you get it you may have bought everything anyway.

As for the weapon itself... its quite unwieldly. Its powerful as all heck, sure. But you waste quite a bit of energy each shot, it takes forever to recharge, all leading to the fact that if you miss it's terrible. Range is nothing to write home about either.

Besides, all that power is overkill 95% of the time. Normal Reaverbots will either die in seconds, wasting part of the attack power, or they'll be moving around too much to take the full effect. About the only ones I can think of that actually "need" that much power and will stick around to take full damage are the really tall eyeball Reavers. And they barely attack anyway, so its just a matter of killing them faster, not that you actually need that much power.

It's much better against bosses, who tend to be more stationary. But even then... there's 1 boss that you can actually use it on before you get the Shining Laser, which is better if you want an "pwn your face off" weapon, since you get the Crusher pretty late. I suppose you could leave the Saul Kada ruins after getting the Softball and make it then, which would let you use it on Tron and Bon in the ruins, but otherwise, you pretty much can only use it against the gel boss of the 4th key ruins. The train moves, so the explosion won't stick around to be effective on that. At least I assume that's how it works, I know the Hunter Seeker gets left behind so I assume the explosion does too. Or maybe the boss of the Saul Kada optional ruins, if you choose to do the story portion first.

No doubt the weapon is powerful, but it doesn't seem all that useful in spite of that. Too expensive, and not really enough situations to use it. Plus all the downsides of the weapon itself, with the low recharge and limited range. I'd say... 6.5 / 10.
---
Master of Electricity
~Lucario Alliance Member~