Is getting the spear really random?

#1Hedgehog_KnightPosted 2/21/2013 11:19:08 PM
I've made it to the 4th rank, raised another monster to B-class, and sent it to the Mandy desert errantry between March and August. So why, over 50 tries later, have I still not gotten one? Is there just a really low % chance of getting it? Am I just extremely unlucky? Or is there some criteria that KurasuSoratobu's (extremely wonderful and helpful) FAQ/Walkthrough doesn't mention?

Most of my attempts are save-scumming (Reloading my file when I don't get the spear), but that shouldn't affect the results if it really is random. And trying different months/weeks hasn't yielded any desirable results either.

I love this game, but not unlocking this monster when I did everything right is making me loco in the coco. After the past 8 hours of gameplay being nothing but skipping through the errantry scenes, mashing X through the text, and reloading my file, the game is starting to feel like a random number generator with a nice skin.
---
"All stopped too... If we have no magic stick, it will be the same thing." - Zac - PuLiRuLa
#2gemeni_anoPosted 2/23/2013 4:29:31 AM
I've got mine while i was already a Master Trainer and the Centaur you'll fight is no pushover (stats over 600).
---
NP: Disagea HoD, TO:LucT
Laharl & his Vassals VS Denam and the whole of Ivalice
#3Hedgehog_Knight(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 10:44:03 PM
So, do your chances increase with a higher rank? Or did it just show up when you weren't looking for it?

Oh well, I went and raised a Zuum to combine with my B grade Fairy Hare, and I'll just raise a Jell to combine with my Vanity, when I feel like going back to it.

Thanks for the reply!
---
"All stopped too... If we have no magic stick, it will be the same thing." - Zac - PuLiRuLa
#4gemeni_anoPosted 3/1/2013 12:29:58 AM
When i was reading the FAQS on how to get those rare combi items i saw that you can get them even you're already a Master Trainer so i didn't bother before that and i focused on beating the Big Four Battles first.
For the Centaur's Spear it took me just two tries at the desert. The harder one spawn to for me is Big Hands(Jill/???) in the icy mountains.
---
#5Hedgehog_Knight(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 7:07:10 PM
I finally got one after I made it to rank 8. My Golem/Tiger had high enough stats to KO the Centaur, too. Maybe it was just waiting for me to have a high enough stat total to not get killed.
---
#6gemeni_anoPosted 3/25/2013 7:00:08 AM
Try Catching Big Hands (Jill/???)
My Dullahan with beeeefffyy stats almost got killed when i successfully spawned it.
---
#7Marvell_SkPosted 4/12/2013 5:24:43 AM
Hedgehog_Knight posted...
I finally got one after I made it to rank 8. My Golem/Tiger had high enough stats to KO the Centaur, too. Maybe it was just waiting for me to have a high enough stat total to not get killed.

you don't need to win the fight to gain the spear.
---
-True Heart for Mystery Eyes-
"We want gameplay, not graphics. We're Gamers, not artists"
#8Hedgehog_Knight(Topic Creator)Posted 4/16/2013 8:53:37 PM
Marvell_Sk posted...
Hedgehog_Knight posted...

you don't need to win the fight to gain the spear.

I know; I was going to forfeit the match with a weaker monster, but it didn't show up until I sent a much stronger one. It may have just been a coincidence, though.
---