This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Neutral Units

#1Supernova 163Posted 12/15/2010 3:12:14 AM
Is there any easy way to keep a unit in the neutral alignment range? My units always seem to tend towards chaotic or lawful and once the change starts they slide off to the extreme pretty quickly. I've been handling it by exchanging a character from a strongly chaotic/lawful unit to balance the change, just wondering if there was a better way.
---
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
#2TarnaiPosted 12/15/2010 9:01:11 AM
There's no real easy way. The alignment system in this game does, as you said, encourage "snowballing".

One thing you can do is keep one character of a neutral alignment in a group on his/her own, and just use him/her to liberate your neutral towns. What you are doing is probably the next easiest way to deal with it.
#3OgreRecruiterPosted 12/15/2010 1:52:20 PM
Well you could always just not use one of your units that's sits in the Neutral alignment range. Level them up in training is what i usually do. Then i send them to a city along with one of my fighters just in case is is an ambush =)
---
Feel my wraith if you dare stand in my way
#4awesomephatmanPosted 12/16/2010 1:26:37 AM
Can someone refresh my memory on what makes characters chaotic/lawful? And how does the town capture mechanic work? You want your chaotic units to capture cities with low morale right?
---
Dislikes: The Wii not being HD yet
#5Supernova 163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2010 4:29:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I actually ended up sticking two very chaotic characters, two very lawful characters and a neutral Priest in a unit to see what would happen. The characters at the extreme alignments gain/lose enough alignment from their kills to negate the averaging out of unit alignment, while the Priest stays around the same alignment due to not killing anything. The idea of a neutral unit made up of four extremists and only one neutral character sort of amuses me too <_<

Can someone refresh my memory on what makes characters chaotic/lawful? And how does the town capture mechanic work? You want your chaotic units to capture cities with low morale right?

Alignment is largely determined by what a character kills.
The difference in level between a character and a character they kill affects the alignment change from the kill. Killing a higher level character is lawful, while killing a lower level character is chaotic.
The alignment of the character killed also matters. Killing a chaotic character is lawful and killing a lawful character is chaotic. I'm not sure whether the actual alignment of the enemy is used or if classes are grouped by alignment. For example, I know in MotBQ killing a Paladin is a chaotic act, even if the specific Paladin is chaotic. It probably makes little difference, since I assume most enemy characters tend to have the alignment to go with their class.
It is also affected by the character's own alignment. Lawful characters are biased towards lawful ali changes, chaotic characters towards chaotic. In practice it means the further away from neutral a character is, the harder it is to reverse their alignment.
Units also average out their alignment over time. After each battle members of a unit will tend towards the unit's average alignment.

Spot on with the strongholds. You can tell if you've matched alignment with the morale of the stronghold if the unit says the stronghold was liberated, rather than captured.
---
#6awesomephatmanPosted 12/16/2010 4:33:31 AM
Does liberating a city have any practical effect versus capturing it? If a unit captures it, does that make the unit more chaotic?
---
#7Supernova 163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2010 5:51:45 AM
Liberations increase Chaos Frame and captures decrease Chaos Frame, which is the overall measure of morality in the game. Affects the ending and some special characters need your Chaos Frame to be under or over a certain amount for them join.
---
#8awesomephatmanPosted 12/16/2010 5:57:20 AM

Does liberating a city have any practical effect versus capturing it? If a unit captures it, does that make the unit more chaotic?

So the answer to this question is yes then?

Thanks for your help. []=
---
#9Supernova 163(Topic Creator)Posted 12/16/2010 6:02:04 AM
Chaos Frame is separate from alignment.
As far as I know a liberation/capture doesn't affect the alignment of the unit.
---
#10awesomephatmanPosted 12/16/2010 6:10:25 AM
Ohhh, I see. Is a higher CF good or bad?
---