When Showing Somebody My Video Games

#1SchmemanPosted 8/10/2012 1:56:36 PM
*disclaimer* I don't have many games, I am a player of video games not a collector

We got to Panzer Dragoon Saga and he asked my how much I payed for it. I replied "$200" and he continually called me stupid for spending that much money on a video game and kept trying to tell me that I should sell the game on ebay because it's worth something. This is coming from a guy who smokes a pack of cigarettes a day. I guess people value things differently. I like to spend my money on a great game and he likes to spend his money on poor health.
---
Alex
#2darkrevansPosted 8/11/2012 9:17:03 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#3larmes_du_h3rosPosted 8/12/2012 9:47:47 AM
I see tons of copies of PDS on eBay
#4darkrevansPosted 8/12/2012 1:46:14 PM
ok i was a little off with my firgures here you go.
Only 6,000 copies were first produced for the game’s American launch in May 1998, and many retailers failed to meet pre-order demand. Sega released a second batch of 12,000 copies the following June and then another 12,000 in the late summer.
#5MartinIIIaPosted 8/12/2012 5:30:15 PM
Yeah, Panzer Dragoon Saga is definitely not one of the rarest Saturn games. Even if it were, that hardly makes it worth $200-300.
#6noidentityPosted 8/12/2012 9:06:02 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but it's selling for $250 average now. 99 cent auctions, no reserve. Still doesn't change the fact that the game is a pure diamond. TC, you made a great purchase, stay happy about it.
#7MartinIIIaPosted 8/13/2012 5:33:51 AM
You're assuming that the only reason a game could sell for more than $200 is because it's extremely rare. Hate to burst your bubble, but Panzer Dragoon Saga is just one of many games that sell for a lot that aren't particularly rare.

Even if your assumption were true, it would still do nothing to disprove the fact that some games which ARE extremely rare (as in a couple thousand copies in existence, not the tens of thousands of copies of PDS) don't sell for all that much.

Finally, just because a game is regularly selling for $250 doesn't mean you should pay that much for it - or even that you should buy it at all.
#8noidentityPosted 8/14/2012 12:45:14 AM
When an item is selling for said price, you're expected to pay that much. You might be able to get that number down a little bit with some negotiating skills, but this is PDS we're talking about. People know what it is and what they can get for it, so there's not much room to bargain, and yes you SHOULD buy it, because the game is a perfect 10. I'm sorry you will never get to enjoy it Martinilla.
#9MartinIIIaPosted 8/14/2012 6:59:28 AM
LOL, I've been enjoying (and that's putting it mildly) the game for over five years now. And I paid $50 for it, complete-in-box, mint condition.

Mind you, your problem isn't that you don't know the first thing about video game rarity, or how market values are set, or how market value is rarely the same as what an individual buyer pays for a game. It's that you pretend you know about these things, and that you go around telling people they have some moral obligation to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga for $250 just because it's supposedly rare.

If people don't want to pay $250 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, or if they don't want to buy it at all, that's their business. There are gamers out there who have played Panzer Dragoon Saga and argue that it isn't worth paying even $10 for. I've met them. If others don't want to waste their hard-earned money on something they may not even like, it's not your call to tell them they have to.
#10noidentityPosted 8/14/2012 10:22:42 AM
(LOL, I've been enjoying (and that's putting it mildly) the game for over five years now. And I paid $50 for it, complete-in-box, mint condition.)

You did not pay $50 for this game five years ago. You likely paid close to $200, and if you've been enjoying it, then there's no excuse for you to come here and dump all over people who paid more than you.

(Mind you, your problem isn't that you don't know the first thing about video game rarity, or how market values are set, or how market value is rarely the same as what an individual buyer pays for a game. It's that you pretend you know about these things, and that you go around telling people they have some moral obligation to buy Panzer Dragoon Saga for $250 just because it's supposedly rare.)

No, I do know everything about the video game market value. I've been watching closed auctions of countless titles for years now and know what games sell for. I have knowledge and therefore have the right to speak. I never implied PDS was rare. I simply implied that it's an amazing game and worth the money. I encourage people to track it down. I paid $200 for mine and never regretted it.

(If people don't want to pay $250 for Panzer Dragoon Saga, or if they don't want to buy it at all, that's their business. There are gamers out there who have played Panzer Dragoon Saga and argue that it isn't worth paying even $10 for. I've met them. If others don't want to waste their hard-earned money on something they may not even like, it's not your call to tell them they have to.)

Those gamers are missing out, how sad that they choose CoD over everything else.
More topics from this board...
Glitch (?) In Uru Passagejmvalone84/11 3:12AM